Badger5EM Tuning
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By <tuffty/>

Thread: S3 Oil Leak

Neutral

Status

S3 Oil Leak

So I had chance to get my S3 up on a lift to give it a closer once over(only bought it couple of weeks ago) It would appear I have a oil leak, not a major one but still something I would like to get resolved.

The cars booked in to Midland VW in 2 weeks time for wheel adjustment and diagnostics. Im going to ask them to quote me on fixing the leaks but I was wondering if anyone had a ballpark figure I could expect.

Been told it looks like it might be up by the turbo and another possibly near the bottom requiring an Engine out job.

how much could you expect for the engine to be removed?

Also looks like the coolant might be leaking or has in the past as theres a dry pinky white powder on a couple of the pipes, if this a common problem?

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    Where's the oil coming from? The most likely culprit is the rocker cover and/or the cam chain tensioner.

Both are really easy to do your self at the same time with a little patience and reading of the online howtos. Will save you 3 hours of labour charges too. Will cost you £20 in parts maybe.

If it's the sump that's also an easy DIY.

Liam

S3 AMK 2002. Only 203 BHP left in my poor little engine, currently searching for the 7 missing horses.
    Mods: Powerflex bushes at the front and rear, 710P DV, ambient light module, Badger5 V3 TIP, S2000 Filter.

Neutral

Status
    didnt track it down accurately as was short on time a paying job turned up requiring the lift.

I guess ill have to wait and see what midland vw say and if it is somewhere easy to get at ill tackle myself (with some help).

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    As Liam said... oil leaks that cover the back of the engine and the turbo are almost always related to the cam cover gasket... they go hard and just leak... there will be oil down the side of the head (obvious to spot) and most likely covering the turbo's compressor housing...

Never seen oil leak from the turbo in all the engines I have seen... the bottom gasket (sump) of the turbo oil return/draim pipe can leak if the sumps been off and not had a new gasket fitted...

<tuffty/>
    Filth likes this.
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Neutral

Status
    thanks for the advice, I will give it a closer look and find out when theres some daylight and im not working again.