How to display car speed on Air Con display?

turbodan

Reaction score
Website
www.daniel-wilkinson.com
Hi there

Just sold my MR2 Turbo and bought an Audi A3 TDi Sport (Sick of the high running costs of the toyota!)

I see some people on ebay are trying to sell instructions of how to display the cars speed on the climate control display?

Just wondered if any of you guys new how to do it and could give me instructions?

Cheers - Dan

Press and hold the recirculation button. Then press the manual flow control up arrow. You should see a 1c. Press the temperature up ("+") or down ("-") buttons to select a code number. Then press the recirculation button again. The value should display. Press the temperature up or down button again to display another code.

NOTE: Air Flow Motor (V 71) and Potentiometer (G 113) are not installed in USA/Canada vehicles. Disregard values displayed for these components.

Code Displayed Value

1 System malfunction - displayed as a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC), see chart below
2 Digital value of Interior Temperature Sensor, in Headliner (G 86)
3 Digital value of Interior Temperature Sensor, in Instrument Panel (G 56)
4 Digital value of Fresh Air Intake Duct Temperature Sensor (G 89)
5 Digital value of Outside Air (Ambient) Temperature Sensor (G 17), front
6 Digital value of Outside Air (Ambient) Temperature Sensor
7 Digital value of Ambient Temperature Sensor At Fresh Air Blower (G 109)
8 Digital value of Temperature Regulator Flap Motor Potentiometer (G 92)
9 Delta value of Temperature Regulator Flap
10 Non-corrected specified value of Temperature Regulator Flap
11 Digital value of Central Flap Motor Potentiometer (G 112)
12 Specified value of Central Flap
13 Digital value of Footwell/Defroster Flap Motor Potentiometer (G 114)
14 Specified value of Footwell/Defroster Flap
15 Digital value of Air Flow Flap Motor Potentiometer (G 113)
16 Specified value of Air Flow Flap
17 Vehicle Speed (km/h)
18 Actual Air Blower voltage (Volts)
19 Specified Fresh Air Blower voltage (Volts)
20 A/C Compressor (A/C Clutch) voltage (Volts)
21 Number of low voltage occurrences, non-transient
22 Cycle condition of A/C Refrigerant High Pressure Switch (F 118)
23 Cyclings of the A/C Refrigerant High Pressure Switch (F 118)
24 Cyclings of the switches, absolute non-fluctuating
25 Analog/Digital value, Kick-Down Switch
26 Analog/Digital value, Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Warning Light
27 Coding value
28 Engine Speed (RPM)
29 A/C Compressor speed in rpm (Equals Engine Speed x 1.28)
30 Software version
31 Display check (all segments of A/C Control Head display light up)
32 Potentiometer malfunction counter, Temperature Regulator Flap
33 Potentiometer malfunction counter, Central Flap
34 Potentiometer malfunction counter, Footwell/Defroster Flap
35 Potentiometer malfunction counter, Air Flow Map
36 Feedback value, cold end-stop, Temperature Regulator Flap Motor Potentiometer (G 92)
37 Feedback value, hot end-stop, Temperature Regulator Flap Motor Potentiometer (G 92), max. stop
38 Feedback value, cold end-stop, Central Flap Motor Potentiometer (G 112)
39 Feedback value, hot end-stop, Central Flap Motor Potentiometer (G 112)
40 Feedback value, cold end-stop, Footwell/Defroster Flap Motor Potentiometer (G114)
41 Feedback value, hot end-stop, Footwell/Defroster Flap Motor Potentiometer (G114)
42 Feedback value, cold end-stop, Air Flow Map Motor Potentiometer (G 113)
43 Feedback value, hot end-stop, Air Flow Map Motor Potentiometer (G 113)
44 Vehicle operation cycle counter
45 Calculated interior temperature (internal software, in digits)
46 Outside (ambient) temperature, filtered, for regulation (internal software)
47 Outside (ambient) temperature, unfiltered, (internal software, in deg C)
48 Outside (ambient) temperature, unfiltered, (in digits)
49 Malfunction counter for speedometer (vehicle speed) signal
50 Standing time (in minutes)
51 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) in deg C
52 Graphics channel 1 - A/C compressor switch-off conditions are identified by illuminated segments of the “88.8” display. See chart below.
53 Graphics channel 2 - Climate system electrical outputs are identified by illuminated segments of the “88.8” display. See chart below.
54 Control characteristics
55 Outside (ambient) temperature, in deg C or deg F depending on setting on A/C control head
56 Temperature in deg C, from Interior Temperature Sensor, in Headliner (G 86)
57 Temperature in deg C, from Interior Temperature Sensor, in Instrument Panel (G 56)
58 Temperature in deg C, from Fresh Air Intake Duct Temperature Sensor (G 89)
59 Temperature in deg C, from Outside Air (Ambient) Temperature Sensor (G 17), front
60 Temperature in deg C, from Ambient Temperature Sensor At Fresh Air Blower (G 109)
61 Software version (latest)

Kev.

If I changed this, will it still show the temp I want the climate control at?

This doesn't work on the new models i.e. not on B6/7, new A3, etc, etc

[ QUOTE ]
This doesn't work on the new models i.e. not on B6/7, new A3, etc, etc

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers Scotty - I thought not, but just wanted to check !

[ QUOTE ]
If I changed this, will it still show the temp I want the climate control at?

[/ QUOTE ]

It will show the information you request until you reset it back to temp.

Kev.

hey mate, so lets say i set it to the vehicle speed setting. which code am i going to need to set it back to the original display for the air con. thanks in advance...

No code, just hit auto or maybe even some of the other buttons cancel it, but that will throw you back to the temp screen.

Kev.

it only gives reading in km/h

hope your maths is good to convert as you driving!!!

i know mine isnt

[ QUOTE ]
it only gives reading in km/h

hope your maths is good to convert as you driving!!!

i know mine isnt

[/ QUOTE ]

Or you could just look at your speedo and read off kph/mph /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kev.

Is the rev counter one any good?

The speed one is a nice idea. Was racing around with a mate yesterday and he had to ask what speed I reached a few times.

Not sure that I want the wife to see what speed I'm doing to be honest....best kept secret.

Although she never seams to mind when it's somewhere she wants to go!!!

Info is great though. Thanks very much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Thats very cool..!

Is there a way to display boost pressure, oil pressure,MAF readings etc? either in the clima display or in the display that shows the radio stations/RDS between the rev and the speed clocks?

thanks

Yeah boost pressure was my first thought when I started reading that list...

The rev counter is useful, i used it once to monitor issues with the engine and where at certain points in the rev range in various gears a strange juddering sound was made. This helped pinpoint the issue when it went it.

These values are mainly the information that the climate control system needs to do it's job, which is why they are temp sensor readings and errors, engine speed and revs so it knows how much power it can use, etc.
I doubt that turbo boost is useful info to the CC system, so I don't think it will show you that.

[ QUOTE ]
Thats very cool..!

Is there a way to display boost pressure, oil pressure,MAF readings etc? either in the clima display or in the display that shows the radio stations/RDS between the rev and the speed clocks?

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Not with the aircon, but an Enhanced DIS will display some of the information you're after.

Search on here for Enhanced DIS and a link to a .au website, I mailed them recently and they got back to me straight away.

Kev.

Car should be on, it does not matter if the car is idle or moving.

Check the instructions and make sure you're hitting the right buttons (sounds stupid but I was doing it wrong to start with).

Kev.

im going to jump on the band wagon and try and sell this onfo on ebay :ermm:

very clever..i think the maf reading would be good to see whether we have healthy air mass meters..
i know shaun at big boys toys plugged in the vag com, and found the maf reading of my car to be a little low, so replaced the maf..
very useful..

hi.i was messing about with mine as you do when you find this little trick out,but now it shows the temp on aircon in F,how do i get it to return to deg c for the air con ???,as that list below confused me?? cheers

hi.i was messing about with mine as you do when you find this little trick out,but now it shows the temp on aircon in F,how do i get it to return to deg c for the air con ???,as that list below confused me?? cheers

Think you just need to hold the Recirc button to flick between Celcius and Fahrenheit

Awesome, just checked on our 2000 facelift and worked, although, these two codes were the wrong way round:-

27 Coding value
28 Engine Speed (RPM)

RPM was code 27

Also does any body know what 61c to 89c mean when i select 86c it looks like its trying to display a graph or somthing, just wondering if any one can help!

49 Is coolant temp for me, I have been using this for a while, as I like to know how fast the car is warming up, so always set it before I drive off, just to keep a close eye on things as the temp gauge on the dash is well know for rounding off, to stop Audi getting to many calls form worried drivers

Just thought id bump this for people who havnt seen it, Tried it today in my 2002 BAM and everything worked fine

Reactions: Danman1
Just thought id bump this for people who havnt seen it, Tried it today in my 2002 BAM and everything worked fine

What number was coolant temp for you?? Going to try this out tomorrow. Cheers

Loved this post. There should be a stickie for 'Things your Audi does but you dont know about'

Dan