Rear Brake upgrade ... shall i ?

The spigot rings have no lip that sits behind the disk....the od and id you can see in the pic of the rings is the actual upper and lower sizes, the inside on the ring has a chamfer on it to allow for the radius of the hub

Sorry dan but this is the best pic I could find and it is on the gangster 19's as some would say lol

6F1BF8D6-5548-4DDE-9279-B90B4C47FF82-3381-000002FABC43B956.jpg

I have also got some 18's but the spoke design means you can't really see :( am looking for some lightweights to replace them

Its fine mate, ive just looked at the tt link and shows some 17" wheels and the s4 discs totally fill the wheel, looks epic haha.

Dan...
I cant view that link,
Ive logged in and it says im not allowed to view it???

weird, i can see it.

basically he had the s4 discs machined down to 22mm thick. and made custom carriers out of 6mm plate (6mm difference in offset between 256 rears and 312 fronts)

I have a picture of a bracket from a kit... Uses thicker plate...
And the Disc used was the same offset ( top hat ) as an S3...
The bracket is made of say...12mm plate and machined down , I will post it at dinner time as will need to find it and upload it as im at work.

does anyone know the swept area of a s3 rear pad/disc?

can an S3 312 disc be machined down 6mm to 300mm and have enough surface for the pad?
that would mean a simple solution really in terms of bolt pattern and centre bore.
you'd just need machining, and an adapter (not hard)

To re drill the disc and make a spigot it easy to be fair.

The tt forum doesnt use 312mm discs. Its uses a 300mm s4 rear disc. Look at page 4 onwards.

The tt forum doesnt use 312mm discs. Its uses a 300mm s4 rear disc. Look at page 4 onwards.
I would if it would let me !
My plan unless steered otherwise is to buy 300mm S4 rear discs. Redrill the to 5x100 ,bolt them up and make the spigot then measure/ mock up a pair of brackets.
Once done ... draw it up on cad and right a program to make some.

I may later concider looking at making alloy Bells if i can find a rotor in the right size.

What's all this talk about spigots all of a sudden?

People have been running the brera 330mm front discs with redrilled PCD and never needed a spigot at all.

Save yourself the effort!

I quite like that 312mm disc idea. It does leave a large area in the middle unswept, but it's not THAT bad, and as Karl says you could turn them down to 300 to reduce this area a tad, then paint the centres so it wouldn't go rusty and look crap.

Would 6mm steel plate be strong enough for a carrier spacer though?

Mine would be as thick as the lugs they are currently mounted on if not thicker.
The spigot is the easyest part to be honest

Im realised the gap when i was looking to upgrade myself...
If i can confirm the discs i will make a start.

The discs are the picture of a box I posted up and they're the ones from DaveB

Last time I spoke to him he had officially stopped supplying kits due to likes of creation motorsport etc doing them cheaper but said he was going to continue the rears....so may be worth a punt? Was £300 iirc

Anyone got his details so he can either supply the kits to us all or at least give us the information to reproduce them!

Here's some pics I took earlier as the cars on stands with rear wheel of at the mo anyhows

Spigot ring doesnt space from the 57mm diameter on the hub there is another shoulder past this where the ring sits

2431AC81-6E9B-457C-AF54-11A01C70FEEA-1041-000000E5F4EF8D36.jpg

Pic of bracket from above

9C4D36B5-E942-4988-8E60-B6C1D97BA2F3-1041-000000E606B6AAA9.jpg

Pic of bracket from below

57F08474-AB87-413E-994A-97255A09F3B2-1041-000000E65E137415.jpg

Because hes not making them anymore is he so what impact is it going to have on him other than helping people out?

Originally I used to contact him via pm on ukmkivs and have got a phone number for him but was nearly a year ago I last spoke to him and was pretty run off his feet with young twins and traveling with work, but will give him a try and see? ;)

Dave is still about supplying replacement discs and parts for existing customers.

I spoke to him via text message on the same number he used to use Stacey, about 3 weeks ago.

If only toreduce the cost to me... i will be happy to help with re drilling discs. I will be using a CNC miller to do my kit and a CNC lathe to make the spigots.
I need to get moving though, my brakes are not upto a spirited drive any more,
The front pads are low but the discs are almost new, so its pads all round and rear discs, Be a shame to not upgrade?

Dave is still about supplying replacement discs and parts for existing customers.

I spoke to him via text message on the same number he used to use Stacey, about 3 weeks ago.

Maybe he has stopped supplying kits all together now then as he had said he had stopped supplying kits when I bought the rears but said he would continue the rears as there was such a gap in the Market with not many options for people? :)

So... anybody like to confirm which S4/Rs4 the discs are from ? 300mm with all other dimensions the same as an S3 apart from the PCD and centre bore??

why do you guys all want such MASSIVE rear discs?

as standard, the A3 has 288/232 discs, so a ratio of 1.24:1

The S3 has 312/256mm discs, so a ratio of 1.22:1

Even if you've got 330's up front, fitting a 300mm rear disc takes that ratio to 1.1:1, so a fairly dramatic shift in brake bias.....

The LCR came from the factory with 323mm fronts and 256 rears, so a ratio of 1.26:1.

Chose wisely my friends.

size ratio indeed superK,

in terms of A3 288/232 to S3 312/256, the calipers are hydraulically the same, so the size increase is a direct power increase.

brembo 323 setups also have near enough the same hydraulic power as an S3 caliper (otherwise you'd end up with dodgy pedal travel), so excluding pad area changes, they have the same power for a given disc size also.

I would indeed consider a rear brake upgrade, infact, I've already bought some new larger rear discs for just that purpose, but I'm keeping quiet until I know whether it'll work or not :)

.....I would indeed consider a rear brake upgrade, infact, I've already bought some new larger rear discs for just that purpose, but I'm keeping quiet until I know whether it'll work or not :)

:whistle2:

<tuffty/>

you sneaky ****** you!
be sure to share with us once its completed :)

I will indeed, although unfortunately for you, due to the parts bin nature of my car, using 4wd rear calipers on 2wd hubs with all manner of trickery and dark magic, anything I come up with will be of no use to the S3 crew what so ever, hence why I'm going it alone, with help from my technical adviser of course.