I'm in the process of making up a shopping list for some IE rods but before I place an order I have some questions which I couldn't find answers to.
- Is it advised to fit new piston rings when doing the rods? If so do you have to hone the bores or is it a case of replace the rings and reinstall?
- Should the ARP head bolt kit be fitted instead of OEM head bolts and if so is this the correct kit? (ARP 18t Head Bolt Kit 10MM)
- I've heard that some people have had issues with Calico bearings over OE bearings. Which should be used for a 300-350bhp build? If Calico, are these the correct ones -> Calico Coated ACL Race Rod Bearing Set for VW/Audi 4 Cylinder
Finally this is my shopping list. Have I forgotten anything?
- Forged 144x20mm Rods (Rifle Drilled)
- Bearing Set (Calico or OE depending on the above)
- Redline Synthetic Assembly Lube
- Cylinder Head Gasket
- Head Bolt Kit (ARP or OE depending on the above)
- Oil Pan Sealant
- Piston Ring Set (Depending on the above)
- Engine Oil
- Oil Filter
- Oil Pickup Pipe
- Cambelt/Waterpump Kit