S3 Haldex service well overdue - problem?

niggtv

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a 2002 S3 as my daily runaround. I've seen one locally, however, it seemingly hasn't had a Haldex oil/filter since 40k miles and 5 years ago (now at 85k miles). If I bought it I'd get this done as part of its service that's due, and there are no issues I'm aware of, but would I be better to avoid this car do you think?

I wouldn't avoid it for that on its own.

Haldex oil should be changed every 20k and oil and filter is every 40k.

But, the Haldex unit is pretty robust and if it isn't giving any problems, it should carry on giving sterling service with an oil and filter change now.

If the rest of the car is good though, use the lack of service as a negotiating point?

Ok, thanks for that. It's basically a genuine car, but needs a few things doing.

I wouldnt not buy it just because of that, however, give it a full check as there has been alot of us on here recently that have had problems with the Haldex.

If you can get the car out, try turning it on full lock, going forwards and backwards slowly to see if the back wheels drag. This could be a potential issue and we are still unsure of what the issue is and how expensive it could be!!

Also check that the fuse is still in, as this could be taken out to hide any issues..I believe its fuse 31.

Hope that helps...oh and to do an oil and filter change any reputable independant can do this for you for less than £100.

Cheers
Nilz