Misfire help please!

Vex182

1x S3 and 3x Fiestas.
Reaction score
Driving late / early last night/ today and 170 miles from home as I sped up pulling onto a motorway, I felt that thud and drop in power at about 2.5k in 6th. Knowing this was a small misfire I drove it home around 55-60 the rest of the way and it felt ok... Got home and the idle was poor and you could feel and hear the car skipping. Scanned the car last night and showed up 5 faults:

18010 - Power Supply Terminal 30, voltage to low.
17863 - EGT (I know about this).
16684 - Random / multiple misfire.
16685 - Cylinder 1 misfire.
16687 - Cylinder 3 misfire.

Picked up a new coil this morning (could only get hold of 1 today from work) changed that 1 and moved the 3rd to cylinder 2, reset code and went for a spin. Anyway the misfire has not moved to cylinder 2.... So I swapped the pack from 1 (new) to 3 and still says its missing from the 3rd, also showing 16684 still. I guess when I get my other tomorrow, it might sort it, I just get confused why the misfire is not moving around? Cables look good by the way and I am not able to do the Audi recall as mine are all aftermarket and I got told no when I had my water pump done. Also the MAF is only 6 months or so old.

Jeez give people a chance to reply!

Remember there are less people online in the evening.

You say you know about a fault with the EGT? this wont be doing you any favours...i think you need to get this sorted, other than that check all earths to the engine from under the battery...

The misfire is most likely a result of the over fuelling from the EGT issue... the thud is normally associated with an ECU intervention such as a boost dump (not on yours as you have an N249 bypass) or throttle cut...

TBH... I would get the EGT issue sorted first as everything else could well be a victim of this... the 18010 code is typical after the ECU being flashed... did you not go over to R-Tech the other day for a map tweak? if Niki didn't clear the codes after the last flash then this will be from that

<tuffty/>

The misfire is most likely a result of the over fuelling from the EGT issue... the thud is normally associated with an ECU intervention such as a boost dump (not on yours as you have an N249 bypass) or throttle cut...

TBH... I would get the EGT issue sorted first as everything else could well be a victim of this... the 18010 code is typical after the ECU being flashed... did you not go over to R-Tech the other day for a map tweak? if Niki didn't clear the codes after the last flash then this will be from that.

<tuffty/>

Yeh it did go r-tech. That code did disappear after the reset. With the EGT, can I take it out and clean it? The cables all look ok to it, I know it's an expensive part! Ill have a look at the earths too. I knew this 400 mile trip would give me issues!

Well I picked up another coilpack. I thought I best check the spark plugs, 3 were good and the one on cylinder 3 was melted! I had Bosch super 4s fitted - I know people say they are crap and now I see it! Fitted some new NGK plugs and all the coil packs - only 1 being new and reset the codes. Car seems all good now! So I have a spare coil pack. Ill get a EGT ordered as app as I have money too!

image.jpg

That's been the main problem! The electrode was so worn and wobbly! Only done around 2k in them, thank god I got them from work so that was helpful...

there's a reason why folks slate bosch super 4
Denso's also are unreliable in my experience..

NGK's only for me