Clunking noise when coming off the throttle

Adeyy

Reaction score
Hi

have a 2000 a3 1.8t and when taking my foot off the gas get a sort of clunking noise coming from somewhere. It's not very loud and doesn't happen all the time. Usually happens driving a bit harder. Just a bit annoying.
Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks

Have you checked the engine mounts?

Mine made a bit of a clunk when it had a broken engine mount - but I also had a million worn suspension bushes etc. so I replaced them all. Worth having them all the suspension bushes checked over too.

Liam

i have the same problem with my 99 1.8t, when i let go of clutch and have throttle i hear like a faint metallic clang, never bothered me though and only seems to be in 2nd and 3rd gear

i have the same problem with my 99 1.8t, when i let go of clutch and have throttle i hear like a faint metallic clang, never bothered me though and only seems to be in 2nd and 3rd gear

Dodgy clutch pressure plate? i had an astra mk3 tdi that did this, it got worse, felt like a sticky clutch cable, and when i replaced it there were 4-5 fingers missing from the plate.

Yeah thats exactly what happens with mine. I'll check the engine mounts, seems like a better fix than turn my stereo up till I can't hear the noise anymore.

Thanks for the replies