Volks AutosAH Fabrications

Thread: What tyres?

1st Gear

Status

What tyres?

It been a while since I’ve post here, don’t not defected to another site, just mental busy at work. My last post was asking for your recommendations for a car up Ł35k. I test drove many cars, and some were wonderful (Imprezza WRX STi) some were really disappointing (BMW M3). The short version of the storey is that I haven’t found anything that ticks all of the boxes, but the positive side of this is that it has made me appreciate my own car (A3 1.9TDI Sport Quattro) a lot more
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Anyway, back to the point of this posting, my front tyres will require replacement in the near future. Over the course A3 ownership I’ve had Dunlop Sport Contacts (ok), Pirelli P Zeros (didn’t like), Pirelli P Rosso’s (ok). My car seems to eat tyres for fun, so I don’t want to go for a soft compound tyre. What I want is a really good all rounder, preferably with rim-protection [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] So the question is what do you recommend, what price, and where from. The online sites such as Black Circles and My Tyres don’t offer good value (IMO), and what a process, buy online, wait for delivery, take them to a fitter……..sounds like the long way round to me.

Another question, my current tyres are 225/45/R18, can I increase the wall size from 45, to fill the arches a bit more, will there be any problems doing this?

Thanks in advance for your help [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status

Re: What tyres?

Hi Mate,

I have the same car as you and running 18" RS4 reps and just replaced my tyres. Have had the original brigestones (ok, soft, wore out quick), ContiExtremeContact (great, lasted ok, sidewalls failed spectacularly and wouldnt go near these again) and now my second set of Avon ZZ3.

They last reasonably well, grip fine, quiet, not a bad ride.
    Good price from Rochford
    Thats it.

Rick

imported_MancheS3er

I recently got a set of x4 225/40ZR18 Goodyear Eagle F1's from BlackCircles, and used one of the mobile fitters listed. The tyres were delivered to the fitter, he came to my offfice and fitted the tyres in the car park and all was done ready for my drive home.

Excellent tyres, stick like sh*t to the proverbial blanket and look pretty mean too.

Loads of ppl have recommended them on this site just do a search for other users reviews if you're in doubt.

6th Gear

Status

I'd recommend the Goodyear F1 GSD3's too. I'm on my second set now, fitted today.

OEM Bridgestones (I think), were awful in terms of handling, and when it got to near changing them, they were even worse! I did about 13000-15000 miles on those tyres.

So I then moved to the Goodyear F1's. The transformation in handling and grip is amazing. Which is why I have had them fitted again. The set I have just taken off, have done 19000 miles, with 4mm Front and 2-3mm Rear remaining. And they were still grippy, wet or dry.

I paid Ł470 fitted, from SMD Tyres, Leigh, Lancs.

You won't be disappointed with the Goodyears.

AL
    PS: I do rotate my wheels now and then though, every 3K-5K miles.

6th Gear

Status

I having been feeling that I may have changed my tyres a little prematurely. Having just found out the legal minimum is 1.6mm across the whole tyre. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

But...a colleague pointed out this article to me on tread depth and stopping distances...

http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/advi...read_depth.htm

Regards

AL

Status

They're already the wrong profile for your car, so wouldn't recommend increasing the profile any further.
    The correct size is 225/40/18, this is less than 1% bigger than the original rolling radius so gearbox and speedo will be unaffected.
    225/45/18 gives you a 4% larger circumference (2.5% is the recommended max)