Large Plenum Intake

what baffles me, is that this modification has been ignored massively over the years of modifying these cars.
only on BIIIG projects has it been done and considered worth it.

but, i guess thats to do with the fact we've been hugely restricted in our options with only SEM, RMR, Dahlback inlets available, which eith the price of them is understandable that it hasnt been done.

the good thing about this plenum is the design is used hugely on various cars and aftermarket inlets. its simple, and proven. And much better than these plenums that are uniform in shape rather than the taper of this and the xcessive one.

another step for 1.8t/ko4 tuning..... tick

Love it Dave.

Have you drilled / tapped your VAC ports into the back plate? what about the IAT sensor?

Does the bonnet shut Ok?
tapped the vac ports, The AIT sensor is also tapped underneath the mani Along with the brake servo feed...
Loads of room for the bonnet, i can see the bottom of the engine too, so should be easier to get to the alternator/thermostat and crank sensor etc....;)

Looks good and sound to work well for you too, hope you have got it over the 300 mark now

Dave has seen my manifold up close and so he does have a idea on how the Excessive plenum sits in the S3 engine by

Yeah Andrew im on 315/321 LB/F after a bit of tinkering, still not what i wanted but plans are a foot....
This May push me into the late 320s though...Then i have my WMI kit to go on...

Bill are you still going ahead with replicating tufftys inlet manifold? If so any update on price and time scales?

when I weld up the next one I will get it flow benched as I did on the SEM and Monstor007 before it.. compared to data with the RMR...
should be interesting data, and factual.

Bill are you still going ahead with replicating tufftys inlet manifold? If so any update on price and time scales?

yes I am. but I am also busy as feck currently, so other work/cars comes first before I tinker on design and development.

smooth and paint one of daves and the differences are very minimal.
slight difference in plenum shape, that is all.

why flow bench when yours has already proven its worth on tufftys car?
just out of curiosity as to how it fairs with the big names?

Yeah someone make some sensibly priced inlets. IE, SEM etc pull your pants down over the price for theirs :( Even a pukka Jenvey ITB setup (for another engine) is cheaper!

what baffles me, is that this modification has been ignored massively over the years of modifying these cars.
only on BIIIG projects has it been done and considered worth it.

but, i guess thats to do with the fact we've been hugely restricted in our options with only SEM, RMR, Dahlback inlets available, which eith the price of them is understandable that it hasnt been done.

the good thing about this plenum is the design is used hugely on various cars and aftermarket inlets. its simple, and proven. And much better than these plenums that are uniform in shape rather than the taper of this and the xcessive one.

another step for 1.8t/ko4 tuning..... tick

The tapered design is known to be ideal for boosted setups with the throttle body on an end of the plenum, it's to help airflow to the "last" cylinder. A Graham Bell has written a pretty awesome, if a little old, book on Forced Induction. Well worth a read and covers aspects like this.

Forced Induction Performance Tuning A Practical Guide to Supercharging and Turbocharging: A. Bell: 9781859606919: Amazon.com: Books

Yeah someone make some sensibly priced inlets. IE, SEM etc pull your pants down over the price for theirs :( Even a pukka Jenvey ITB setup (for another engine) is cheaper!

The tapered design is known to be ideal for boosted setups with the throttle body on an end of the plenum, it's to help airflow to the "last" cylinder. A Graham Bell has written a pretty awesome, if a little old, book on Forced Induction. Well worth a read and covers aspects like this.

Forced Induction Performance Tuning A Practical Guide to Supercharging and Turbocharging: A. Bell: 9781859606919: Amazon.com: Books

I think this is the same guy that said to hates WMI? been a long time since i read that book though.

Reactions: scott6452

Plasti dip it!!
icon_cheers.png

Nobody cares about looks except tuffty lol. It's all about performance for price for most ASNers.

lmao @ westy

Quality counts for some ;)

ASN turning into TT forum now... Next it will have to be both cheap and shiney!

Last edited:

why flow bench when yours has already proven its worth on tufftys car?
just out of curiosity as to how it fairs with the big names?

Given I deal in facts not fiction..... I have over the years had testing done on products I use and "choose to sell"
I have data on the others I had tested, so this one would be of interest to "me" in comparison.

this is not the only plenum I have here and I have tested another dual plenum design which is in process.... but may not reach fruition for 1.8t for other reasons, not performance related.

Flow bench is just supporting data. It will indicate how equal the cylinder flow balance is, which power runs alone will not tell you.

Plenum shape being key to this balanced flow.. We shall see.

That has nothing to do with looks though.

anyone care to show some actual hard data of its performance... ??
Looks alone, I dont like its plenum shape. End of.
If you like one, make one of them yourself.. and report back the results.
the other one Andrew linked too looks better to me aside from the throttle being canted over for 1.8t (I know its not specifically for vag)

Speak to Niki, I am sure if somebody sends him the inlet he will perform an independant review with dyno plots.

He will fit it to Ting Tongs car and rape the **** out of it.

Niki would probably make one if you sent him the bits.

Yes Dave, I just ordered loads of blue hoses to be just like you. It looks great :)

anyone care to show some actual hard data of its performance... ??
Looks alone, I dont like its plenum shape. End of.
If you like one, make one of them yourself.. and report back the results.
the other one Andrew linked too looks better to me aside from the throttle being canted over for 1.8t (I know its not specifically for vag)

Performance?

I'm just talking about quality and looks.
Good looks don't mean instant quality or visa versa.
Like reesy said, its under a bonnet, who cars.
Dave's welding and construction will be good quality, despite it looks.

Speak to Niki, I am sure if somebody sends him the inlet he will perform an independant review with dyno plots.

Niki would probably make one if you sent him the bits.

Yes Dave, I just ordered loads of blue hoses to be just like you. It looks great :)

***.. why?
I test here duh!

There is a wider world to tuning than rtech much as you luv them, and niki is very good at mapping.

I test products for other companies now Because I am thorough and independant.. and I provide logged hard factual dyno data (power,torque, afr,pressures,temps etc) not just power runs and vcds logs... qualified/thorough testing. Not all products presented to me for testing help, some in fact hinder, and dont make it to market as a consequence.. Thats why testing is important.

I have always tested stuff... I am an engineer 1st and my whole career (non-automotive) has been engineering led.

As I have said I have data on the other inlets I have tested so it would be more complete to test the Xcessive one also, to compare cylinder fills as well as comparing to dyno data.

Last edited:
Performance?

I'm just talking about quality and looks.
Good looks don't mean instant quality or visa versa.
Like reesy said, its under a bonnet, who cars.
Dave's welding and construction will be good quality, despite it looks.

***.. Understand and ASK YOURSELF why am I fitting a larger plenum?
For its looks??? Or for PERFORMANCE?

Performance surely else why do it?
for looks just polish it and make it bling of that floats ya boat.. and you can get a TT then

***.. Understand and ASK YOURSELF why am I fitting a larger plenum?
For its looks??? Or for PERFORMANCE?

Performance surely else why do it?
for looks just polish it and make it bling of that floats ya boat.. and you can get a TT then

That's my thinking as well.

Maybe I miss read your comment laughing at westy for not worrying about looks.

He`ll test the ones that he`ll build...He`s basically said that way further up this thread. He wont test Daves as he hasnt got one to test neither does he seem to want one to test.

Jason.s:1700614 said:
He`ll test the ones that he`ll build...He`s basically said that way further up this thread.

Perhaps it got lost in translation.

Not a dig at Bill here because he is a trustworthy source and we know he wouldn't do it however self reviewed products just comes across to average joe as a sales pitch.

The Clio 172/182 is the most common car to benefit from big plenums; there have been tens of them flooded onto the market and loads of R&D into the benefits (up to 20bhp) on an otherwise impossible to tune setup. Pretty much all of the products that have gone onto the market have flopped due to unreliable testing, over inflated gains and all the usual ****. Except for one, the Stone RS2 (google it). That's because they sold them at below cost for the first 4 weeks, on the previso that the people buying them reviewed them and had the vehicle logged to show the benefits.

The same customer/independant reviews have led to the success of the B5 TIP in my opinion, because it is SUCH a good bit of kit that every single person who has had one cannot argue with the facts.

Bill doesn't need to promote the kit because everybody knows it is great. The same for R Tech's mapping and Relentless manifolds; it's all forum hype.

As much as I am an Rtech fan, don't you think it's a little insulting suggesting that in the middle of a conversation with Bill, the man who has developed, and independantly tested SO many products for us over the years?

Do try not to be quite so narrow minded dear boy.

Bill, I understand your frustration!

****** hell this opened a can of worms.....

I wonder what gains you would have just welding the large port runners on to a standard plenum? as some of the gains will be because you have opened the airflow at the runners,,,,?