Turbo oil return pipe removal.

philpy

Reaction score
How difficult is it to remove the turbo oil return hose on an 2002 BAM engined S3?

Resaon I ask is at the weekend i dropped the sump to check my oil pick up pipe and when its all back together i now have a leak from the oil return pipe. The leak is coming from the pipe where it joins the sump flange as it was rusting and i have cleaned of the rust but now pipe appears to be porous and is leaking.

Is the connection at the turbo accessable from below the engine?
I have looked at the guide to replacing the turbo which is linked to on here in the stickies but it doesnt really show taking the return pipe of. I dont really want to have to pay a garage to carry out the work.

It's not to bad if you have a ramp, it's one mount bolt, two on the sump an two on the underside of the turbo, I fitted mine with the driveshaft off which helped tho

Return is held on by 2 x cap bolts... its a ****** to get to as the transfer box is in the way as is the support bracket... you may have to remove the driveshaft to give you a chance (its how I would do it just for ease of access) but if you do, don't undo the 3 bolts to remove the ball joint from the wishbone else it will throw the tracking etc out and you will need a laser alignment session to bring it back in... split the joint instead (which will no doubt be fairly tight to undo)

Its a fiddly job but can be done in situe...

<tuffty/>

I dont have access to ramps it would just be done on axle stands in the driveway if I was doing it myself. Getting at it past the transfer box was my main concern.

the return pipe is £100 quid dealer only pipe.
i thought my had gone and nearly choked when audi quoted £100.
got lucky and was 34p washer
Audi didnt have the return pipe gasket when i fitted my sump and return feed.
i just used the sealant i used on the sump to seal the return pipe and no leaks(proper audi sealant).

Thats a bummer that its a dealer only part plus the price.

I wasn't sure if you would be able to get to the turbo connection from the top if you removed the TIP etc. and were able to reach uner the turbo. I found a photo of a BAM engine on German ebay which shows the back of the engine with the turbo and pipework still in place so have a good idea where it goes to now.

I had to use the audi sealant on the pipe where it meets the sump as there wasnt a gasket in there when I took it off.

As above about taking the pipe off.
i would just sand the flange down(its not the sump thats fecked?) and try resealing it.
its a lot of work to try and undo two bolts under the turbo.
Try some one breaking an s3 for the return pipe if thats the route you choose.
But good luck with it and let us know how you get on.

All sorted now. The leak was coming from part of the pipe that was rusted and had gone pourus at the last bend in the pipe, all flange surfaces were good and sealed.

I spoke to the garage where i bought the car from about two months ago and told them it had developed an oil leak which I was expecting to be covered by their 3 month engine and gearbox warranty. Took the car in for them to have a look at it and they just said they would fix it, no questions asked. Left the car with them the next day and it was sorted with a nice new oil return hose fitted.
I've never really questioned warranties on things before but with the cost of the part I was making sure I could get it fixed without having to fork out a load of cash.