PLEASE HELP. Fuel pump fuse keeps blowing! A3 1.8t 1998

gniknotle

Reaction score
So basically as I was driving along (approx. 70kph) the car just died. It had had a funny idle all week (would be at rest, then rev up to ~1200rpm then go back down) was awaiting a vag com cable to scan te car but the day before it came the car died. Have not been able to scan the car so no codes (yet)

ive managed to narrow it down to the fuel pump fuse constantly blowing (#28) before that, the car would just crank, and crank, an crank...)
I am getting a spark, and when a new fuse is put in it starts, idles etc.

i put in a 20a fuse (meant to be 15a) and it lasted a fair while longer...
... But blew.

Please help! I've ordered a new fuel pump relay and will be picking it up tomorrow, fingers crossed that works. Any other ideas?
Thanks!

Ideally, you need to see what VCDS says, but I think you're in the right area.

Next thing would be a new fuel pump, if the fuses keep blowing.

Im assuming you've checked the fuel pump wiring for any chafing or similar?

Ideally, you need to see what VCDS says, but I think you're in the right area.

Next thing would be a new fuel pump, if the fuses keep blowing.

Im assuming you've checked the fuel pump wiring for any chafing or similar?
yeah iI've taken the rear seat out and checked the wiring. All looked fine. Vcds isn't decided to work on my laptop so have my sisters and my girlfriends so giving that a go this evening :)

AGU engine code?

I wouldn't expect the relay to fix the issue because the fuse is "downstream" of it.
The wiring could have chaffed anywhere from fusebox back to the pump.
Next and cheapest(assuming you can do it yourself) place i would start would be to check wiring for shorts to earth/breaks and that you have a good earth to the pump. If they check out okay then it looks likely that the pump is dieing and drawing too much current.

Don't just put a bigger fuse in, it was 15AMP for a reason.

AGU engine code?

I wouldn't expect the relay to fix the issue because the fuse is "downstream" of it.
The wiring could have chaffed anywhere from fusebox back to the pump.
Next and cheapest(assuming you can do it yourself) place i would start would be to check wiring for shorts to earth/breaks and that you have a good earth to the pump. If they check out okay then it looks likely that the pump is dieing and drawing too much current.

Don't just put a bigger fuse in, it was 15AMP for a reason.

yep AGU.
i did find two wires coming out of the steering column that were twined together but had both 'sheared' and were broken (one black one lime green)
would these be related at all?