EM TuningAH Fabrications
    Reverse Gear

Status

Help with upgrading my 1997 a3 agu 1.8t

Hi guys i have an audi a3 '97 1.8t with an agu engine.
    It already has the following upgrades:
    Forge dump valve
    Pipercross velocity air filter
    asm piping
    aftermarket downpipe
    milltek exhaust
    remapped
    forge motorsport intercooler
    sports brakes, tyres and suspension
    and a few other valves which im not sure of exactly.
    On the dyno its developing 220hp and 260f/lb torque,
    max speed 165mph. I have been told that the next logical
    step to more power would be to upgrade the turbo, downpipe
    and exhaust manifold. I was told that a gt28 turbo is recommended.
    I would be interested in peoples opinion on which would be the best
    course of action for more power, and which parts i should look at getting for
    it. Any help is greatly appreciated

2. # ADS
    ADS

poking badgers with spoons
    Mouse Race Champion, Fishing the Sea Champion

Status
    if you have got a 1997 a3 agu, it wont be making 220bhp unless its got a k03s on it, the standard turbo is a k03 which a healthy one with a healthy engine would make 180-200bhp that's with all the supporting mods.

whos the car mapped by?

take a look at these threads for options.

prawns track car

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...gring-toy.html

my k03 fitment hybrid a3

My a3 will go fast! (build thread)

there is plenty of reading there for you!
    k03s/k04 hybrid a3 275bhp 293lbft
    vr6 mk2 golf gti

fellow north east members add your name to this list.
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/north-e...%2A%2A%2A.html

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by coatesy View Post
    if you have got a 1997 a3 agu, it wont be making 220bhp unless its got a k03s on it, the standard turbo is a k03 which a healthy one with a healthy engine would make 180-200bhp that's with all the supporting mods.

whos the car mapped by?

take a look at these threads for options.

prawns track car

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...gring-toy.html

my k03 fitment hybrid a3

My a3 will go fast! (build thread)

there is plenty of reading there for you!
    Thanks for the reply. Im not sure who mapped it as i bought the car in its current
    state. It is in excellent condition and the engine is very healthy, the car is very quick.
    Ill read up on those threads thank you!!

Certified S3 Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    If it's very quick; why do you want more power?

The things you've listed are just generic mods, most A3's on here have that sort of kit. Post some pictures up and we'll tell you what it has and hasn't got; for instance the chances of it having £800's worth of Forge intercooler and then cheap ebay ASH hoses and no K03s are pretty slim. Sports brakes, tires and suspension? What does that mean?

Also, the gearbox maxes out at 155 not 165 I've been there many times.

Nobody is going to say just say "do this", your best bet is to have a think what you want from the car and then do your research based around what you would like from it. The tuning potential of a 1.8t is infinite, how far do you want to go?

Pics and a proper spec along with who mapped it would help is guide you in the right direction. But ultimately it's your choice and research; we're not going to be the ones working on the car for you.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 16Klappe View Post
    If it's very quick; why do you want more power?

The things you've listed are just generic mods, most A3's on here have that sort of kit. Post some pictures up and we'll tell you what it has and hasn't got; for instance the chances of it having £800's worth of Forge intercooler and then cheap ebay ASH hoses and no K03s are pretty slim. Sports brakes, tires and suspension? What does that mean?

Nobody is going to say just say "do this", your best bet is to have a think what you want from the car and then do your research based around what you would like from it. The tuning potential of a 1.8t is infinite, how far do you want to go?

Pics and a proper spec along with who mapped it would help is guide you in the right direction. But ultimately it's your choice and research; we're not going to be the ones working on the car for you.

yea lol u are right it maxes out at 156mph. here are some pics:photo (1).jpgphoto.jpg
    in response to one of the quotes above, it is quick but i guess getting more power out of it is kind of a hobby. i would like to push to 280-300bhp?
    Ok a little more information guys:

koni STR.T suspension
    denso spark plugs(?)
    michelin pilot ps3 sport tyres
    unfortunately that is all i can gather from the receipts. the dyno run was done by austec racing, maybe its not accurate
    enough. hopefully the enginebay pic can shed some light, if its not close enough ill take some more today.thanks for input

Reverse Gear

Status
    sorry the files came up a bit small, ill upload better ones later on today

Certified S3 Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by Luther1985 View Post
    yea lol u are right it maxes out at 156mph. here are some pics:photo (1).jpgphoto.jpg
    in response to one of the quotes above, it is quick but i guess getting more power out of it is kind of a hobby. i would like to push to 280-300bhp?
    Ok a little more information guys:

koni STR.T suspension
    denso spark plugs(?)
    michelin pilot ps3 sport tyres
    unfortunately that is all i can gather from the receipts. the dyno run was done by austec racing, maybe its not accurate
    enough. hopefully the enginebay pic can shed some light, if its not close enough ill take some more today.thanks for input
    If you want 280/300 BHP you need to spend roughly £2500/£3K to do it properly.

You would need to buy a K04 turbo, injectors, an XS tubular manifold, a water meth kit if you want to do it properly, a new downpipe and decat, a badger 5 TIP, a new MAF, you'd need to replace your current FMIC with a larger core and larger pipe work, you'd need a VR6 clutch and G60 flywheel to cope with the torque and more importantly than anything there is only one man in the whole country who will be able to get you those top end figures from a K04 so you'd need to ring R-Tech and get your mapping done there. He's in Hinkley.

Otherwise you're looking at a GT28, but the turbo will cost more than the car which is stupid.

Your FMIC is not a Forge one, it is the £200 ebay one. Not a bad bit of kit but only good for 250bhp really. It looks fairly decent spec to be fair. First thing to do it work out if it is a K03 or K03s. I'd presume a K03s with that figure.

See if it has the large barrel around the outlet like the top one in this picture -

You will see that by following the FMIC tubes to the back of the engine bay.

If you want my advice; get it on a reputable rolling road and see exactly what it's doing. Tell us the figures and we'll probable suggest you go to R Tech and get the map updated and tweeked.

I'd stick with the K03s, take it to the top of stage two figures and be happy with it. When these cars are mapped properly with a tiny little K03s giving it everything they are really fun and reliable. The faster the car, the faster you're going to crash. Not to mention insurance companies seem to frown upon BT setups in little FWD hatchbacks.

Then never do them.

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status

No it doesn't, your old ko3S maxed out at 155mph, not the gearing.

The AGU box and FD reaches around 150mph at 6krpm in 5th, giving it a theoretical maximum speed of 170 based on the factory 6800rpm limiter.

With a 7200rpm limiter as found on many mapped cars, this puts the theoretical max speed at 180mph on the limiter, and with a 7600 limiter as you'd have on a hybrid or something, the theoretical max is 190mph!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

Reverse Gear

Status
    thanks 16klappe that was very helpful, ill look for the turbo type today and get back. i think you are right, id be happy with 250hp and the car being reliable. as you can probably tell im quite new to this so all advice is greatly appreciated

Reverse Gear

Status
    p.s another question... does anyone know of a reputable rolling road in or around the london area?

Status
    250bhp is a nice amount of power, i went from 150bhp straight to 270+ bhp and it was the best thing iv ever done! but because im abit of a power junkie im trying to make it even faster.

if you want to upgrade your turbo and don't want to change your current downpipe and manifold, you can speak to dan (beachbuggy) on here and ask him about his k03 fitment hybrids. you will see its what i use in my build thread.

you've just got to be aware that once you start spending this sort of money on your car you are never going to get it back. and obviously making a car go way faster than it should will need the right sized brakes and suspension ect. unless you want to make your self a super fast coffin lol

as 16klappe says the only places to take your car to for a remap is R-tech, but there is also badger 5. these are the only people id let play with my car.
    vr6 mk2 golf gti

Status
    p.s another question... does anyone know of a reputable rolling road in or around the london area?
    i dont live anywhere near london but this cant be to far away

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

vr6 mk2 golf gti

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    My personal view is if your wanting 300hp just go streight for the Garrett.

Fitting the K04 means you need to change all the same parts you need to change to fit the garrett unit, but its leading you down a dead end route. A stock K04 is also basically flat out at those power figures and heat becomes a big issue. Stick a T25 manifold on there and you have endless options from 300 to 400hp and beyond. Sure buying a new turbo is expensive, in the region of 900quid for a GT28RS for instance, however when you consider the cost of buying a K04, and having it rebuilt and hybridised to comfortably make 300hp, the gap suddenly closes significantly

If your happy to expect a bit less than 300, then a hybrid like coatsey has might be a cheaper way to go, but you want to be sure your specs not going to creep in 6 months time leaving you wanting more...

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Reverse Gear

Status
    photo.jpghi guys i took a pic of the turbo where it joins the intercooler:
    i think its a standard k03 turbo. coatsey thank you for you input, what would be the best way to get in contact
    with beachbuggy?

Reverse Gear

Status
    photo (1).jpg
    slightly bigger pic of engine bay

Status
    they're externally identical, there's no way to tell them apart without either finding the little blue ID tag on the compressor housing and getting a number, or whipping the TIP off and counting the number of fins on the compressor wheel
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Certified S3 Slayer

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    they're externally identical, there's no way to tell them apart without either finding the little blue ID tag on the compressor housing and getting a number, or whipping the TIP off and counting the number of fins on the compressor wheel
    I thought all K03's were silenced and all K03's weren't? Is that an old wives tale?

Then never do them.

Status
    I thought all K03's were silenced and all K03's weren't? Is that an old wives tale?
    some k03s turbos were not silenced there is a mixture out there
    vr6 mk2 golf gti

Status
    Nope, not at all man.

I'm fairly sure yours on your audi isn't silenced actually!

some are, some arn't. from what I've seen though, audi ones arn't silenced, and seat ones are. not sure if that's a general rule, but it's been my experience to date.

Certified S3 Slayer

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by coatesy:1694491
    some k03s turbos were not silenced there is a mixture out there
    Fairy muff, never knew that! And I know everything.

Then never do them.

Reverse Gear

Status
    hmm so its hard to tell from the exterior which type of turbo it is. ill have to get a torch and look for the blue id tag then!!

Reverse Gear

Status
    hi again guys i have done some research on the rolling road used to get the 218bhp result. it is a Maha LPS3000 four wheel drive dynometer at austec racing in crawley west sussex. has anyone heard of this type of dyno?

6th Gear

Status
    Maha`s yes. Usually overread a smidge

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

Reverse Gear

Status
    anyone had their car ran on one of these?

4th Gear

Status
    My Ko4s i took off my A3 had a silencer on it

Certified S3 Slayer

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by phil miller View Post
    My Ko4s i took off my A3 had a silencer on it
    You mean K03s?

Then never do them.

4th Gear

Status
    You mean K03s?
    Yes sorry Ko3s, having one of them days

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Grale1 on Facebook
    hi again guys i have done some research on the rolling road used to get the 218bhp result. it is a Maha LPS3000 four wheel drive dynometer at austec racing in crawley west sussex. has anyone heard of this type of dyno?
    hi Luther, I live in redhill Surrey, about 10 miles from Crawley, I know that place, they only do eprom chip for our car (a3), they started out as a tvr tuner really, I have a 98 AGU and 2 weeks ago I went to r-tech in Hinckley, very helpful guys and a great price for the remaps, I only have a standard ko3 at the moment, so like a few have said go to r-tech, I was told they are the best for AGU,

simon

Reverse Gear

Status
    cheers simon that was very helpful, i think ill give r tune a call and see what they say. do they have a rolling road there?

Certified S3 Slayer

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by Grale1 View Post
    so like a few have said go to r-tech, I was told they are the best for AGU
    If it's big figures you want, there is only R-Tech.

My new A3 is an AUM with a K03s, it is just an R-Tech stage 1 mapped over 18 months ago with a TIP, downpipe and decat, 007p, airfilter and N249 delete. It flows 180.8g/s, which is basically 226bhp.

R-Tech mapped my last A3 which was a pre-facelift AGU with a K03s, that thing was simply mental in a word and is a pretty legendary car. That thing made huge power, and at the time was the fastest K03s car around.

R-Tech mapped Prawns (now Frenchmans) car, same spec as mine and that made 224.5bhp on Badger 5's rollers. And they're real heart brakers.

R-Tech did all of the mapping on Prawns track car, and you can draw the torque curve with a ruler on that thing. It's incredible.

Niki has had 250bhp out of a very special K03s, unheard of by anybody else. When I first got into A3's everybody said a K03s was maxed out at 230bhp.

In short; if you want man power then I'd recommend R-Tech. You won't find many big power/proper cars on any UK VAG forums that Niki hasn't had a hand in.

Then never do them.

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Grale1 on Facebook
    Yeah they have a rr there, very good prices on the mapping also, I'm only just getting to all this my self, best advice I can give you my self at this moment in time is listen to everyone on here everyone seems to know there stuff and all a great bunch of guys willing to help,

Status
    here is a few videos of my car on the rollers at R-Tech.

i travelled 170 miles to drop my car off with them worth it though ill be taking it back down again to get the map tweaked next year for a little extra power
    vr6 mk2 golf gti

Pushing the limits..

Status

My Social Networking

Add Sevv on Facebook
    personally if it is your "hobby" mate.... and youll probably want more power after the Ko4 then might as well got he gt28 route as it would give you a proper smile when you beans it and besides that if that is still not enough then you it would be somewhat a good platform to go the gt30 route.. but thats if you aim on keeping the car for a while and dont mind spending

Reverse Gear

Status
    thanks so much guys, you have all been very helpful. i think firstly i get it on another rolling road to confirm/disprove the other ne and see what im working with. then ill work from there