A3 eratic idle

Boombastik

Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm new to the Audi forum looking for some tech help

i have a a3 1.8t sport 2001 x-reg when idling it seems to be a bit erratic idle speed is at 800rpm then drops to about 600rpm and seems to idle up and down between these rpms. I can also feel it doing this while driving at low revs. Otherwise the car is driving fine I've just serviced it changed all 4 coil packs and replaced the timing belt. Although I did buy the car with this idle problem. Any thoughts or advice welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Air leaks... look for split pipes under the inlet manifold...

<tuffty/>

Vacuum pipes? Is there many to change? As I have heard about them but the garage said they checked them when it was being serviced. Might be worth having a look myself then.

Thanks tuffty

A smoke test would be useful in helping find them... they are not always obvious...

<tuffty/>

A common one is the pipe behind the dip stick holder into the inlet manni.

hi again

ive just had a look over all the vacuum pipes under the manifold and they all seem to be in order with no splits etc.

the car was miss firing at low rpm tonight when i left from work but once it was up to temp it seem to have cleared itself
any one got any other thoughts?

I would still be looking at getting a smoke test to be sure... still sounds air leak related and they can be tricky to spot... generally speaking if there is oil on the out side of the engine anywhere its most likely been blown there...

Injectors seals shrink as they go hard and oil stains around the injector seats, PCV pipe splits underneath and is difficult to spot as A3's have a lot of clutter under the inlet manifold...

<tuffty/>

i'll take it along to my mates garage on saturday and have the smoke test done, but sounds like it could be difficult finding this issue

Got the emissions tested today and it's all good. Checked the engine fault codes and these came up 17695, 17705, 16486, 17545, 17840 I have since reset the codes and run the car again then checked the codes and none have been logged so going to run the car a few more days and check again. Anyone got any info on the above codes?

Thanks