boring tyres question

paul_brad

Reaction score
I have Dunlop SP 2000 Sport tyres on my car currently, and a brand new alloy, with brand new tyre (same) in the boot as a spare.

Now, I need to get 2 new tyres - would I be OK to put the new, spare alloy on thus only buying 1 tyre? (still legal tread, thought it would make a good spare)

I'm not going to have the car for a million years, so i thought why waste that new shiny alloy I'll never use?

Do I need to match the tyre make/sort exactly with the other side? How much are these tyres I have on? (205/55/16) I'm no expert, and certainly wont be needing p-zeros or anything mental.
I've no complaints with these I have had on for the past year and a half anyway.

Sorry is such an unexciting question, but I would love to know your thoughts before a garage brain washes me

Yes that's fine as long as the 1 new tyre is matched to the other side (same make & model). If you can't match it then swap them with the rears so the mismatched pair is on the back.
Personally I would never have Dunlops on my car as they have zero grip demonstrated by the fact that they last forever (had them on a GTi and the rears lasted 78k miles and were still legal), but if you shop around you can get Goodyear NCT's for around £80 each which are infinately better.

whats the naughtiness with missmatched tyres then? does it ride funny, or is it a safety issue?
Is anybody anal enough on tyres to know if you can still get Dunlop SP 2000 Sports easily, and how much?

Andy - take your point about grip, but I drive like an old woman /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In my opinion, different tyres on each corner(when they are the same size) isn't as bad as people make out, unless you are serious about your driving, and drive on the limit of grip from your tyres. It's pretty normal these days to buy a used car with different tyres on each corner!?!
Ideally, you would want the same size and make tyres on all four corners if the car is 4WD, and the front two the same of it's 2WD, but that's just my opinion.

PS. Unless they are on there already, I wouldn't go for Dunlops neither, plenty of options available at the same price or less /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

"Ideally you would want the same size?"
I kind of thought the same size was mandatory, like a legal/MOT requirement /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif