Topmounts : to poly bush or not to poly bush that is the question...

vrbob

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!
Reaction score
Thinking of changing my standard top mounts to poly ones as they are available form Creation Motorsport for about £39.

They must be alot tougher than the rubber version and therefore less prone to wearing out and also offer a furthur 10mm drop at the front (which is something i want as my front is a little higher than the rear) and with this you get 10mm of extra dampening according to the blurb.

POLYBUSH FRONT TOP MOUNT PAIR 44CF 2WD+4WDS, VW GOLF AUDI A3 TT,OCTAVIA LEON | eBay

Any thoughts peeps?

Do it and then tell me if I should :p What about the top mount bearings? Will these not load up the bearings more and cause them to fail faster?

you'll be suprised how unworn your current ones are ! i was when i saw mine !

New top mount on left, worn one after 13 years and 60k miles on the right.

f1b8ff0d.jpg

I'd go for standard topmounts with FK lowering caps personally, as the rubber topmounts gives some comfort to your ride. If you are running coilovers, I guess going poly wouldn't make much difference?

Jojo do they shrink that much :blink: when changed mine a few months ago they looked the same as that photo just thought they were different as I changed them for the Cupra r top mounts quite shocked in how much they have shrunk

Jojo do they shrink that much :blink: when changed mine a few months ago they looked the same as that photo just thought they were different as I changed them for the Cupra r top mounts quite shocked in how much they have shrunk

They don't just shrink over time, just think the whole front end/weight is on top of those, so compressed aswell.

Well gotta take mine off at some point anyway as need to replce one of the bearings as i couldnt undo the nut on the shock so think i will give them a whirl and see what they are like.

Not running coilovers just uprated shocks and springs so the extra 10mm lower at the front will help my stance a little too.

As the rest of thed car is polybushed it almost seems rude not too lol

hi all i put psi tuning polybush ones on last week there spot on but get some polo 6n caps

i bet if youve got worn compressed ones like that then you probably wont notice the 10mm shorter ones, but if you put new standard ones back in the front end will probably lift up slightly

If you are going to do this and haven't got a VAG top mount tool then I would really suggest getting one, I've ****** about with top mounts for years and it's always been a pain until I got one of these. Tool 3078 I think.

VW3078PLUSALLEN.jpg

I've just got some ground control camber top mounts as the rubber ones don't seem to last long with coilovers. I imagine it'll be a wee bit firmer :)

Techically an electric impact gun is a go faster bit compared to a ratchet and allen key :p

7mm allen key down a spark plug socket spanner on the socket job done

i bought some poly top mounts never got round to fitting if anyone is after any i got some spares if you want. just text me

07590437004 im in dorset as well id rather do collection can't be botherd with posting id even help fit them if you ask nicely

I have polybushed the top mounts in my car, personally I cant say that much of a difference is made. As mentioned before you definitely need to buy 6N polo top caps

I couldnt afford a cordless one so i bought this Clarke CEW1000 Electric Impact Wrench - Machine Mart

I rate it very highly not struggled with anything i have put it through which included fitting coilovers, these top mounts and polybushing the rear beam

Hasnt their been a right up on these already? Not sure if it was on here or not, ill try to find it but im sure the poly top mounts got slated, something about noise and aomething else. Ill try to find it.

Well have oredered a set of the CM ones so will report back when i get round to fitting them.

Top Mounts arrived this morning, i also took the plunge and bought a dirt cheap electric impact wrench off ebay to make undoing the nuts easier and also mto help with wheel changes.

I got this Liftmaster 12V Impact Wrench with Digital Display & Torque Configuration | eBay

Had a go on my wheel nuts and they come off easy and also tried it on the top not that hold the capon the strut and that came off too so seems like it will do the job. plus i can now set the torque using its in built gauge.

lol, that impact wrench looks like a proper cheapo ebay jobbie :) hope it holds up for you! let us know how you get on. Did you end up getting different top caps?

Yup its cheap but seems to work and for what i need it for it should do the job. It is rated to 350nm which was alot more than some of the more expensive ones.

Nope didnt buy new top caps yet gonna fit the mounts first and then see how high the old top caps sit after.

I wouldn't trust the gauge, just make sure you manually check them after.

Good luck, I loom forward to seeing a review :)

Nah the gauge probably isnt accurate but it does seem to work cos if i set it to say 150nm and do up a wheel nut you can see the torque going up on the gauge and then it stops when it reaches 150 and says end so at least it gives me a way of making sure i dont overtighten stuff.

Got my catch can setup to do first once the pipe i ordered shows up as i need to borrow a friends spring compressors to do the top mount job properly.

been reading the catch can guide in the stickies as the guide you posted is the same as the one westy used when writing his.

Just gotta work out the differences as mine is a BAM engine so not exactlky the same as i dont have SAI etc.

I have already mounted my Catch Can i got a cheap and chererful one off ebay and have mounted it to to my heatshield (s3dave`s) as it looks nice and neat. Also means i need alot less pipework running about as i cn turn the hockey puck 45degrees and jooin it to one outlet and then run the other outlet to a t peice that then goes back to the block and down to the oil filter.

Am sure i have to block off the nipple under the inlet manifold but there is something else to the left of the inlet manifold near where the DV nipple that i also have to do something with but cant remember what exactly.

Did my catch can install today and am pretty pleased with the results. Had a minor mishap as the 90 degree bend that comes out of the oil filter housing decided to disintegrate as I tried to remove it. So had a quick call around and TPS had one on the shelf so £30 later I have a new one. All connected back up and new pipes routed and car runs really nice and idle is rock solid. Another job done :)

Couple of quick pics of my latest mod my catch can install......

tegHB.jpg

IWkSj.jpg

All seems good, May look at venting to atmos at some poiont soon too as i am thinking or running a pipe to the hole in the passenger side wing where the old feed for the airbox used to be.

I'll be interested in what you think of the top mounts as I've got them to fit. Catch can looks neat that's on my to do list as well.

Topmounts are the next job but waiting on a second pair of hands as almost lost a finger doing it before lol.

Yeah am pleased with my Catch Can setup it was cheap and cheerful but seems to be doing the job and looks good where tis located without too much pipework etc.

Linky does not seem to work mate.

My mate is already running the PSI poly topmounts on his S3 and so far he is pleased with the results so would like to see any more info as such.