Gearbox problems?

Arnie013

Reaction score
Hello there! I'll try and explain this as best I can so here goes.
My S3 has a high pitched whine that seems to be coming from the rear centre. It only appears on the overrun and dissipates as soon as I put any gas on, it also stays if i dip the clutch. As well as this the gearbox is feeling a tad weird, doesn't feel as positive as it was and if I move the lever left and right in neutral it doesn't spring back to centre quickly it kind of just slowly slides back. I'm thinking it may be time for an oil change on the box and rear diff. Anyone else any ideas? It's done 115k miles if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance for any help.
*edit* it's a 2002 plate BAM engine too.

I had the same noise last year, I thought it was my rear diff or gearbox. Changed the oils in both and still had the noise. Turns out it was my cheapo branded tyres on the rear, one had a small leak where the valve hadn't been fitted properly. Was whining exactly like yours when easing off the gas but would disappear when accelerating and dropping into neutral made no difference when moving, basically would sound with the speed of the engine. So I'd say check the psi of your tyres first.

What he said ^^

Its easy to throw money at these cars and not solve any problems.

Also check your vac pipes under the inlet manifold and get it vag com checked for any fault codes and do some logs if you have the access to a vag com and know what your doing.

Hmm Tyres are getting a bit low on tread and i found a nail in one the other day but they're all holding pressure ok. Im loathe to buy decent tyres for them as ill be getting some RSTT wheels before the end of the year but they will need changed before then so thatll get done anyway. Anyone got any ideas on the gearlever shenanigans? i had a fiddle with the linkage under the bonnet yesterday and it sounds really loud, and there a fair amount of side to side play in the stick when its in gear. Audi quited me something like £2000 for a new gearbox?! WTF?! Thats 2/3rds the price of the car! Thanks for the advice guys.