S3 Steering Box replacement?

ras

Reaction score
Hello from Bulgaria! Please excuse my poor english!
I have S3 production year 2000 with APY engine... and i have a problem with the steering box - it needs to be replaced!
Unfortunatly i cant find a steering box for S3 :(
My question is can i use a steering box from A3 1,8T FWD with my S3 tie rods ???
Some people here say they fit and some say they dont - so i am asking you for help please!
Thank you.

Attachments

• Photo-0007.jpg
    Photo-0007.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 77
  • Photo-0017.jpg
    Photo-0017.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Photo-0022.jpg
    Photo-0022.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 80
What does this mean? I could use the A3 steering rack but it will have a wider turn radius? Or it doesnt fit?
Should i be looking for a TT 225ps steering rack or any TT will do?

I think if you don't use a TT/ S3 then it will cause problems with the sensors for steering wheel angle. E.g ESP won't work and warning lights will be showing.

ebay is your friend mate if you can find them... check people breaking there cars but as the guys said better off sticking with an S3 steering rack

I will definitely get S3 steering rack if I find one...
In the meantime maybe i will try A3 rack
if only ESP doesn't work that's even better i always turn it off anyway ;)

I will definitely get S3 steering rack if I find one...
In the meantime maybe i will try A3 rack
if only ESP doesn't work that's even better i always turn it off anyway ;)

wat is the point of doing the job twice?

Because I need the car and i dont have S3 rack yet ... S3 is rare in Bulgaria :( im still searching
I have only A3 rack for now.... so i'll try it to see if it fits.

buy one from the uk if u drive on the same side of the road .. not sure if they are different but i would assume so...

So much bad information; well I'm not sure if it is bad or just terribly written.

NO 8L platform car has a steering box; they are all rack and pinion steering design. So stop saying box, you may find that is why you can't get hold of one.

In answer to the OP's question; yes an A3 rack will physically fit in place of the S3 rack. And it will work.

The A3's steering rack is 3.5 turns from lock to lock, where as an S3/TT/Leon Cupra R is 2.7 turns from lock to lock and any rack from those vehicles will fit. The overall turning circle of the vehicle would not change between the two racks, just the number of turns needed to get there.

The issue with retrofitting the steering racks into facelift A3's is that some people experience issues with the ESP kicking in on long sweeping bends, because the ESP sees a difference in wheel speeds that does not correspond with the steering wheel input, because the gearing in the rack is different. So that should work in reverse for this one, because the ESP system will think you have turned the wheel more than you have.

The steering angle sensor is in the column and not in the rack.

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation. I was using box instead of rack because thats how it appears in the vagcat parts catalogue.
My problem is that in my country there are very few S3s and its hard to find 2nd hand parts.
Maybe a rack for TT will be easier to find... As I understand it is the same as S3 rack?
Does it matter if its a FWD or quattro?
Thank you for the help, again!

Nope FWD or Quattro, any 8L chassis Leon Cupra R, TT or S3 rack will go.

I would try and get hold of a quattro one if I were you.

I fitted an LCR rack to my A3 quattro (to get the shorter lock to lock) and one of the hard pipes hit the prop. It did bend out the way, but I'd say you're better off just getting an s3 or quattro TT rack.