Haldex pump running, traction control light on. help please.

Oke Phill

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a 2000 apy s3 with the mtm kit on it, and i have been having some issues with traction control light comming on.

Running the car
So when i start the car up the light does not come on, but when the car is driven off say 10meters down the road the light comes on, and stays on for as long as you drive it. But say i drive it 10 miles once the car is nice and warm, then stop the car turn the ignition off then turn it back on again and drive away there is then the traction control light does not come on. and the car runs as normal.

When the car is sat ignition on but not running before running

When the car has it ignition on and not running, all i can here is the Haldex pre charge pump running, all the time. It only seems to stop when the car is warm after a run. please see video below. This pump appears to run non stop wile the car is on ignition

So what have i tried?

1st I read as much as i could off this fourm.

2nd I checked the fuse and all is well.

3rd I checked the plug at the back of the diff - and it is like new inside.

4th I chased back all the wiring to the pre charge pump from the plug its like new inside,

5th I chased back the wiring through the boot of the car and all the way down the passenger side of the car - all is ok.

6th I checked for the earth strap off the passenger side of the rear diff and i do not have 1?? - it seems not all were fitted with it?

7th I herad it may need a service - so it was all serviced today and they said it still hd the original filter on it!!

8th I took it to a priviate field to test the 4x4 works - and yes it does:sly:

9th had it plugged in, 1 fault came back heldex related, 01312 - power data bus - esp 37 - 00 faulty, and part number 02d900554b which after a search seems to be my controller. another fault was 01324 f code 49 -00 part number 8no907397 and this seems to be a abs pump. Linked? By the way i hope i wrote these ok, i litterly scribbled them on the back of a box.

So questions for you people, and what do you think i should do next?

With the 9th item do you think 1 of these faults could cause the other? do you go for a new controller? or abs pump? or both?

Do you think the potential lack of service has damaged something?

Do you think i should fit a earth strap?

Is there any other plugs or wires that anyone knows of that i can check.

Any help with this would be great, im going to look for a cheap controller to try i think then go from there? Thought any one?

Thanks Phill

Last edited by a moderator:
Controller without a doubt. Common problem on the golf v6 4 motion.

Try removing the controller and cleaning the contacts, or they can be re-wired if you know what you are doing.

Failing that a new controller is needed, they are roughly 6-700 hundred new or chance a used one.

Maybe cheaper to upgrade to the blue controller though.

I had this problem on a previous S3 I had, and it turned out to be the Haldex controller. But the 4wd was definitely not working when the light came on.

Failing that a new controller is needed, they are roughly 6-700 hundred new or chance a used one.

This reason alone means it's worth trying a used one. I purchased a used one which worked thankfully. For 700 notes brand new, I'd invest in a performance one personally.

Ideal thanks you Joe and Tedward, i will get on the hunt for one now. I will get a 2nd hand one to confirm and then look in to the performance option then.

Thanks Phill

It's sometimes worth looking for complete rear assemblies on e bay.

some sellers sell complete rear cradles with everything attached including the controller as they sometimes don't realise what they are worth alone.

Have a scan around, yo may get lucky, and get more spares to boot!

Nice one! i have just found a controller on its own for £145 off a tt on ebay, i may give it a punt. here it is Item number: 261103938005

Looks fine.

Have you spotted the used upgrade "blue" controller on e bay, 12 months old £480 or best offers. I reckon if you could get that for £400 it's a real bargain upgrade!

Good luck!

Looks fine.

Have you spotted the used upgrade "blue" controller on e bay, 12 months old £480 or best offers. I reckon if you could get that for £400 it's a real bargain upgrade!

Good luck!

Lol, i did notice that, i think i will make him an offer and see what he says.

Thanks again mate.

I have exactly the same as you, and exactly the same steps, checks and results. I have a spare controller that I've had nearly a year but I'm too lazy and ggle to find time to fit.
But,
I turn off esp anyway, my 4wd works, so I think **** it. But I will swap controllers one day, prob with the next service.

Interesting Karl, has it stayed the same for all this time? clearly has not caused you to many issues?

Get out there and fit it!! lol!!

I have exactly the same as you, and exactly the same steps, checks and results. I have a spare controller that I've had nearly a year but I'm too lazy and ggle to find time to fit.
But,
I turn off esp anyway, my 4wd works, so I think **** it. But I will swap controllers one day, prob with the next service.

I've not had any adverse effects. Its not the best approach to a problem but life is so hectic sometimes to sort these things, I'm struggling to get the car ready for adi. But if my 4wd works then this intermittent fault isn't such a priority to me. One thing I will say though, is that with the haldex pump in spasm, sometimes it can feel on/off/on if launching or mid corner.

I've not had any adverse effects. Its not the best approach to a problem but life is so hectic sometimes to sort these things, I'm struggling to get the car ready for adi. But if my 4wd works then this intermittent fault isn't such a priority to me. One thing I will say though, is that with the haldex pump in spasm, sometimes it can feel on/off/on if launching or mid corner.

Yeah fair one! like you thinkin, you can only do what you can do.

You say about the mid corner on/off/on feeling i had that on the way home from work the other night, it is quite off putting.

I will see you at ADI.

Yeah fair one! like you thinkin, you can only do what you can do.

You say about the mid corner on/off/on feeling i had that on the way home from work the other night, it is quite off putting.

I will see you at ADI.
its something il definately address when the car comes off the road soon. but its not caused anything major.

see you there :icon_thumright:

Had this on my Bora 4mo. 4WD was still working though.

Replaced the haldex controller and the issue went away.

I have 8 days to fit my performance controller.... don't think it's gonna happen! :(

Go for it Joe! late night job loads of beer sorted. Actuall now i think about it thats never gone well for me doing it this way!lol!

I got a load of bits to fit before ADI, my next day off is monday so i will crack on then and see how far i get, hopefully get it all done ready for the drive up the M5 on fri night after a 12 hour +shift.lol.:racer:

Go for it Joe! late night job loads of beer sorted. Actuall now i think about it thats never gone well for me doing it this way!lol!

I got a load of bits to fit before ADI, my next day off is monday so i will crack on then and see how far i get, hopefully get it all done ready for the drive up the M5 on fri night after a 12 hour +shift.lol.:racer:

Oh mate, I spent half a day changing my rear ARB, just finished 1hr ago, could probably do it all in an hour now, but first time is always tricky! Haldex controller needs a ramp, it's tricky on axle stands, I don't fancy it! lol Brakes all bled front and rear, new springs fitted all round with new top mounts and bearings. I'm half way there already. 4 wheel alignment first though, the back is very planted with my current settings, front has grip, but no feel... an audi trait I know, but it's odd. :racer:

How did you get on with buying a track session anyways Phill?

Oh mate, I spent half a day changing my rear ARB, just finished 1hr ago, could probably do it all in an hour now, but first time is always tricky! Haldex controller needs a ramp, it's tricky on axle stands, I don't fancy it! lol Brakes all bled front and rear, new springs fitted all round with new top mounts and bearings. I'm half way there already. 4 wheel alignment first though, the back is very planted with my current settings, front has grip, but no feel... an audi trait I know, but it's odd. :racer:

How did you get on with buying a track session anyways Phill?

****** hell mate, Arbs are a fair mission!! I still have 4 wheel alignment on my agenda to get done, it will be interesting to see what settings you use and how good it is.

I have a load of new piping from Tuffty to fit, and make my air a air box and re locate my air filter, oh and wind my rear springs up as they apear to be sagging a bit to low.

I havent called about the Track time due to the above issue, but im not thinking i should have booked it any way and am going to see if i can sort something on monday, but i fear it may be to late. If im lucky enough to get a slot i will just take it easy, be a goo experience.