Oil pressure light randomly appearing

cheese1379

Reaction score
Hello all again.

ok ill start from the beginning. I decided to change my oil on my a3 8l 1.8t nothing major I can do that. So got filter, 10w40 oil as recommended an away I went any way I went over by alot whoops lol. So after a couple of days I let some out I know I shouldn't of driven it but I had no choice. Anyway after letting some out and it being not on the maximum but just below it I was happy but then next day I was driving it fine the suddenly the oil pressure light came on bleeped 3 times and then disappeared. Never saw it against till the next day where it then randomly came on again but this time twice then again today 3 times. It doesn't matter what temp the engine is or what speed revs etc is it just comes on randomly. I've checked and cleaned the pressure switch please help I'm worries its going to die :-(

has the car been on audis 'longlife' service plan all its life? 20k oil changes?
if so the engine/sump/pickup is most likely blocked and coated in burnt on degraded oil.
do an oil system flush, take the sump off, replace the pickup pipe (about 12 quid), clean sump, and refit with fresh oil.
this is pretty much the first thing anyone should do and we advise they should do having bought a 1.8t audi.
also, might be worth changing the oil pump while youre at it. but, my guess is that your recent oil change has probably dislogged a bit of baked oil.

I believe it has as the previous owners always took it to audi form new. That's what I shall do then thanks mate what oil would you recommend? 5/30 or 10/40? Audi wanted me to bring it in as its dangerous to drive lol. As for starting a new thread sorry man I'm on my phone and its rather limited in view etc but next time ill make sure to search abit better.

I think you have been lucky you have had numerous warnings, (most people just have flying metal) dont drive it until it has been investigated ...even if it is a dodgy pressure switch your mind will be at rest..

My mechanic friend just said I will have to take the Cambelt off to do the pump is this the case. Actually in general is it a easy ish job to do??

that's bad advise right there, is he actually a mechanic or just a chocolate one?

easy job changing the oil pump and even easier cleaning the pick up and sump.

there are plenty of threads with how to's on here

sump will need to be removed to check and clean the oil pick up (or buy a new one, it's cheap). Whilst you're there change the oil pump. You may want to change the oil and filter twice, to get the crap out of the engine and oil ways.

I'm going to do the same job, except changing the oil pump, drop the sump, change the pickup and filter and run some cheap 10w/40 supermarket oil for a few miles and then change the oil and filter again. I've brought 5w30 Mobil fully synthetic. People tend to use 5w40w on here I believe. I know my car has been on LL oil services and is about 35k miles old.

Check the stickies/faqs for more info. BTW your mechanic is mistaken. Nothing to do with the cambelt. Although if that hasn't been changed, then the tensioner, belt and water pump should be done too.

Someone on here said "Welcome to the money pit"