Problems with insurance, just wanna get it right!

marlow77

Reaction score
Trying to switch over my insurance to the Audi but the problem is I had a claim made against me from over a year ago on my old car which wasn't resolved until a few months ago, when I'd already renewed on that car with a new company. A few months into a fresh policy when this claim gets resolved I didn't bother to inform new company (probably bad but w/e).

First of all, I received nothing in writing about the outcome of this claim whatsoever, I only coincidentally found out about it when I went to insure a motorbike and the company tried to charge me for not declaring a claim. "wut?!?! what claim?!?!" etc blah.

So now I need to know precise details for future quotes. I get those details and am TOLD the claim doesn't wipe my NCB totally, it just knocks 2 yrs off. Huge relief that is BUT!! With this fresh policy it included protected no claims. The previous policy on which the claim was made WASN'T protected. As the claim was resolved during a time when it was protected, but incident date was a time when it wasn't, then was I protected or not? And if not is it accurate that the claim will knock off 2yrs so I can get accurate quotes and not be stitched up later in the event of another claim???

Thanks if anybody knows about this.

Okay....think I have got my head around this one.

Was the NCB with the 'fresh' insurer with or without the 2 years knocked off? e.g did you also go with a worse case scenario when you went with the 'fresh' policy or did you assume it would be settled non-fault?

When I got new policy the claim wasn't resolved and the only info I had that anything was even taking place was a letter asking if I wa liable. I'd phoned them and said well yes I shunted some guy at 1mph but if he claims for damages then it's fraud and I want to be informed about it. Never ever heard from anyone again. So new policy had no details of anything and just started with 9NCB which they started to protect.

I've just phoned current insurer and he says it will stand as when the incident date was so however much NCB I really do have depends on the previous insurer. Well they told me a while ago that that would be 2yrs deducted. Thing is, if I cancel my current policy now I will probably get a letter stating I've got 9yrs NCB because they knew nothing of the claim (only they do now cause I just brought it up) CONFUSED.COM LITERALLY lol

Thing is, if I cancel my current policy now I will probably get a letter stating I've got 9yrs NCB because they knew nothing of the claim (only they do now cause I just brought it up)

Or you could look at it as....

If you were to have a claim with your current insurer who think you have 9years NCB....then they are more than likely to run a check against the Claims database and find out you have not informed them of the incident (as per your bike quote). They could also ask you to prove the 9years NCB from your insurer you had a claim with - in which case you can only confirm 7 years.

Also want to add that as soon as you said yes you were liable for the claim and you shunted some guy at 1mph...that is accepting you were at fault. So whether it was 1mph or 70mph - any damages that were made to the other car will be repaired...even if it was the lightest of scratches that could T-cut out.

Yeh I wouldn't be fussed about a few hundred £ but he claimed £6k in whiplash. But anyway as I'm trying different insurers out, some of them only want the accident details and not how much was actually claimed so I guess it makes no diff.

Just to let you know, 5yrs NCB is maximum, but when you go past this number, it obviously still goes up to X amount of years you don't make a claim. When you make a claim, you lose 2 yrs NCB, it doesn't mean it drops from 9 to 7 yrs, it will most probably mean you have 3yrs NCB, hence the insurance increase.

Just to let you know, 5yrs NCB is maximum, but when you go past this number, it obviously still goes up to X amount of years you don't make a claim. When you make a claim, you lose 2 yrs NCB, it doesn't mean it drops from 9 to 7 yrs, it will most probably mean you have 3yrs NCB, hence the insurance increase.

5 years maybe maximum for the insurer you're with or have been in the past, but it's not the same with every insurer. Some insurers rate up to 15years

I work as a insurance broker and 5 years is max with some companys and some do % and others are go to 9 as well.....

End of the day you should of told the company about the claim and wouldnt be in this mess!!

get this all the time at work

Actually sunbeam the insurance company should have told ME about the claim. Not telling someone about resolvement is disgusting!!

Did you know about the claim tho?
In my job I can not advise or even tell u you your aloud discount with you saying you have found it cheaper else where 1st,
In the scripts well mine it states do you or anyone driving have any claims or losses in the last 5 year's or pending?
If you ans west no to thats your fault ,the insurance takes yourword as gospel as you have answer the. Question .
Also at the startle script in my work states please answer all questions correctly or it m say invalid your policy again nearly insurance company is reg by the fsa or get the call listen to if you believe it wasn't said...

Im not sticking up for anyone but you need to think I should of told them when the question was asked