Coil-bind - Any owners experienced this?

Y

Yohan87

I have only today found out about "coil-bind" and it appears it is quite a common issue on the VAG 4wd models.

Have any other members experienced this and how did they rectify it?

From what I can gather the rear springs in aftermarket coilover kits have too many coils in them compared to OEM springs and therefore under load they can bind together, effectively rendering the spring useless.

Likewise if you have a car full, all the coils compress and touch meaning your spring isn't springy and your damper takes the full whack of any bumps.

That is just my understanding of it from what I've read so if I'm wrong please correct me.

surely the issue then is crappy cheap *** coilovers....

Buy decent parts and you wont have a problem.

surely the issue then is crappy cheap *** coilovers....

Buy decent parts and you wont have a problem.

I thought H&R Stainless Steel V1 Twin Tube coilovers were decent in comparison to others on the market....

I look forward to your advice on what coilovers qualify as decent though :uhm:

It's common for progressive springs to fatigue and go coil bound on any make of coil over / spring. The helper spring usually does it from new tbh as it's main purpose is to keep tension when it's lowered beyond design

That would explain it I guess.

I read this on another forum.

"aye it's common with fk coilovers as well
kw one's are a different shape they only have the one pig tail the other end is bigger so the coils are less likely to bind

this is a fk one below you dont have much movement before they go solid

DSC01414.jpg
"

I'm not sure mate, I think the aftermarket springs have too many coils in them and when you add the helper as Byzan said then it is very easy for them to stick together.

Mine however are set at the highest ride height which I believe is a 30mm drop over standard.

Picked up a set of genuine R32 rear springs tonight.

Will get them fitted tomorrow and report back :huh: