Helmet for the ring

B1GW1L

Reaction score
Lo all

Been advised by numerous people to get a helmet for the ring only problem is im almost at my budget for going and dont have a helm anyone advise where i can get one from at a sensible price or if anyone knows if i can hire one.

Im new to this lark so go easy on me

Sorry this is no help but I couldn't help my self.

Wheyyy! helmet for the ring....

(Insert more childish jokes)

Haha sorry ill leave now

My mate bought a cheap motorbike helmet for track days, as they're waaay cheaper than motorsport ones!

You really should buy a decent helmet. Its there to save your life if everything goes tits up lol.

You shouldnt buy a 2nd hand one off ebay either as it could have been dropped. It seriously effects the strength of em

My bike helmet was 350 and im looking to get a new one soon lol

Ive got one, dont have a bike anymore it an Agv one and is in really good condition, if anyone needs one for track days

I was going to buy a cheap OMP openface helmet a few months ago but didnt in the end. Did a trackday just as a passenger back in may and it using a full face helment in a stripped out car with windows up while its about 20degrees outside nearly killed me!

I was going to buy a cheap OMP openface helmet a few months ago but didnt in the end. Did a trackday just as a passenger back in may and it using a full face helment in a stripped out car with windows up while its about 20degrees outside nearly killed me!

You can get an OMP open faced helmet on demon tweaks for £70ish but the full faced ones look better. My issue is that I think the open faced ones give better visabilty.

Yeah thats what i was going to get and yeah visibility was pretty poor along with trying to talk. Driver would ask me stuff and i could barely hear or them hear me.

As has been mentioned ... the helmet is a critical piece of safety equipment.

If you buy one second hand off ebay or from some other unknown source you're risking your life! Or at least risking being turned into a vegetable.

There are tonnes of new-cheap motorcycle helmets which are all tested to all the important safety criteria. The cost of new helmet is not much more than a tank of petrol.

There are lots of sub £100 helmets which get 5 stars on the SHARP system. SHARP Helmets - THE HELMET SAFETY SCHEME

Full face has enough visibility - just turn your head.

Liam

Glad you're thinking ahead (haha- get it?) and wearing a helmet mate, there is no rule to say you have to, and SO many people don't, even some in 300bhp+ fully caged up cars lapping in the 8 minute band- that's even more dangerous than in a road car!

it's a racetrack at the end of the day, and you wouldn't attempt to go on track in england without a lid, so good on you :)

I'd say get open face for sure, the OMP Stars Westy mentioned are actually really comfy. Full face in a car restricts your vision and seemingly hearing as well

Most of all, enjoy it!

Lo all

Been advised by numerous people to get a helmet for the ring only problem is im almost at my budget for going and dont have a helm anyone advise where i can get one from at a sensible price or if anyone knows if i can hire one.

Im new to this lark so go easy on me

Please GET a helmet it is so important, because you NEVER know what is around the corner at the Ring. Its a great place and you will have a good time. Dont take any notice of clarkson and timing, be sensible, its caught many a driver out who thought he knew it all. It is totally different to any other track. If you are anywhere near Basingstoke or Deal we can lend you one.

Well turns out my dads helmet is no good, Al where abouts are you in basingstoke i could pop up on company time tommorow

Let me know if this is viable as im leaving early friday to go to dover for the boat also would you need some sort of deposit ?

ah ********. I don't think we can help at that notice matey!

I'm currently IN Dover, but the helmets are back at home in Basingstoke and I won't be back until Friday night! What a *******. You can't even call by mine and get the helmet from my girlfriend, as the Helmets are in the car in the helmet net, and the keys are here with me in Dover!

Sorry mate :( - Nice idea though Dad.

First time at the ring, and personally I don't think its a big deal. Firstly acause you will honestly poo yourself going round it, you will feel lost, scared, and prob find yourself driving slower than you would your local b road. Obv confidence and awareness improves lap after lap, bu you will be sensible if you have any sense. The point you need a helmet, imo, is when you start going back there, learning the track, have knowledge of track driving and lines, braking etc, and you start to tailor your car to tracks, that's when you should DEFFO be looking at safety gear. You will turn into sterling moss, subconsciously, and push your car and yourself, and that's when you need to respect the ring! Its full of suprises, but try and relax, although its easier said than done. Best of luck

Racetrack -> Helmet

No excuses Scouce :laugh:

Just because you're going slow, doesn't mean anyone else is, and if anything that huge speed differential when you pull left onto the 'racing line' at 80-90mph at the bottom of the foxhole is going to cause a huge problem to the German GT3RS that's pulling 160mph down the foxhole, and expects you to stay on the right hand side as German road law dictates you must!

Or when you come flying down into Wehrseifen and find a biker has laid it down on an oil spill and you have to avoid him.

For the tiny effort that it is, I think a helmet helps focus the mind to the task in hand, and it could save your life.

Yeh I do see your point. And I suppose the lack of experience can be dangerous.
I guess I'm just saying that he shouldn't stress so much, him going there for first time is a lot different to when you go there for example.
Also, when I was there I went mid week, so it was very quiet everyday, so really did feel like a b road, just a very intimidating one. I felt safe in the sense of my awareness of other fast drivers, as there were few, so the scenario you describe were unlikely. The unsafe feeling comes from the tracks reputation, and the track itself in that it could spit you out, which is why I was very conservative driving it. Still loved it mind, don't have to go fast to appreciate and enjoy it, and the track is just a part of that place.

Well thanks for all your efforts guys ill be buying a helmet on my return for my next track day, and may even have a look out there obviously with an inflated price.

Feeling the love though guys thanks !!!

Well thanks for all your efforts guys ill be buying a helmet on my return for my next track day, and may even have a look out there obviously with an inflated price.

Feeling the love though guys thanks !!!
Sorry about that. I live in Cornwall, Nicholas in Blazingcoke and he works near Dover. Good luck. Remember, no timing initially.

No need to say sorry, thanks for trying to help, My plan is to just go there and enjoy the atmospher and take it steady, anything out of my control is gonna happen either way, ill post up some pics and some vids once im back

Thanks again.

Oh I forgot to mention your helmet is a very personal thing! ;)

It needs to fit properly, they're designed to absorb impacts etc. if it's too loose it won't work very well and if it's too tight you're not going to be comfortable.

EDIT: So if you are going to borrow one - make sure it fits properly!

vfr800:1690747 said:
Oh I forgot to mention your helmet is a very personal thing! ;)

It needs to fit properly, they're designed to absorb impacts etc. if it's too loose it won't work very well and if it's too tight you're not going to be comfortable.

EDIT: So if you are going to borrow one - make sure it fits properly!

You dirty ****** lol