Fitting facelift A3/S3 headlights to a pre facelift 1998 A3

BromleyA3

Reaction score
I have just got some facelift headlights but am unsure if they are A3 1s or S3 1s they have a little seprate box attatched to them by 2 cables but ive had a quick look at my car n the plugs look slightly different how do i fit them to my 1998 A3 any ideas much appreciated.

Sounds like Zenon headlamps, and the plugs are different anyway between the facelift and pre facelift

anyone hvae any fitting instructions then thanks people

I think firstly you need to let us know whether they are xenon lights or not, if there xenon's I'd give up now to be honest it's a lot of work to get them working right as described above.

If there not and you can sort the wiring you only need to remove the old ones, cut a section out of the wing (only small from what's been said before) then fit them in. if you do a search for facelift lights I'm sure you'll find the old posts.

Might also be worth looking at the fitting xenon lights thread in the FAQ sure that'll have some pointers.

ok cheerz mate yea i think they are xenon as they have a little seprate silver box attatched to them by 2 thick cables any else have any ideas many thanks

i've had xenons on my A3 for over a year without any problems. It isnt an MOT problem as it isnt a testable item (self leveling or washers) It could be a road traffic offense but unless they are pointing all over the place I cant see you being pulled over. I dont know how the facelift ones are wired up though.

please some 1 must know how to do it im really stuuck and cant wait 2 get theese on my car as my pre facelift headlights look poor imo lol many thanks people

I ran a search to at least get the wiring I used but it has vanished! I found the thread but parts of it are missing. I can remember that the Zenons need to be wired via a relay and fuse to the battery and you use the power from the headlight to activate the relay.

sounds confusing cgeerz 4 the help khufu nyone else no where ill find wiring diagram many thanks

i went in my local audi dealer today and 1bloke rekkoned i need 2 buy the facelift 4 pin plug which they can get and gave me the part number 4 and cut off my existing round plug an crimp the new 1 on is it as simple as that apart from the adjusters but they dont look like they are going to be a prob

All done took me and a mate from 9.30 to 6 to do it tho lol bu well worth it

Have you got any pics of this Bromely? I was going to do mine but too much headache ended up selling the lights

right... took me from 2pm til now (8pm)...!

i found i'd saved khufu's pics from when he did the conversion & so they were very helpful - thanks mate! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

i've given up now & gonna finish the job tomorrow - the lights are on the car but just gotta get those damn adjusters fitted & one of the pins keeps pushing in when i try & put the spade connector on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

i've got a casablanca white car & they really look good - well pleased with the day's work!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif