Heater Noise

BRG_GTI

Reaction score
Hi folks

When I put the heater on in my car this morning it made a terrible growling / grinding noise from under the glovebox. I have had a search on the forum and found some people say it will be dead and need replacing is this allways the case ? could it be something dropped inside which is causing the fan to make a noise. Anyways im wondering if any of you forum gurus can advise if there is a guide to removing the heater for inspection ?

Thanks

It could just be a leaf or something that's managed to find it's way in.

I don't have a guide I'm afraid as I used the A3 Haynes Manual. It's fairly straight forward.

You need to open the glove box and you'll see 3 T25 torx bolts that fix the glovebox to the underside of the dash. Remove these, then remove the plastic panel at the end of the dash on the passenger side, in the same place as the fuse box on the drivers side. Under here you'll see more torx. You need to remove 2 of them (cant remember which ones) then the glove box will drop down.

Behind the glovebox you'll see the fan unit adn it is easily removed with a couple of philips screws.

Thanks for the info westy. It is just strange that all of a sudden the horrific noise came from nowhere and it sounds like it may be something hitting the fan blades. Any ideas on how much a replacement unit would be if it needed replacing ?

mine did the same, a bit of foam fell in what had ripped off somewhere, i got to it by lifting the scuttle panel, removing the pollen filter and just pulled it out, give the pollen filter a good bangin while your there too...... :whistle2:

haha exactly what it was karl it was a square piece of cloth like material that looked the same shape as the flap that opens with the heater managed to reach in and pull it out :yes: my pollen filter was a bit grafted so I have ordered a new one