Badger5EM Tuning
    Reverse Gear

Status

S3 APY Cambelt Hydraulic tensioner

First time post on here, so apologies if there is a FAQ on this that my male refridgerator blindness has hidden for me.

I have just changed the cam belt on my car. I should have remembered from my time as an Audi tech, that you do not strip the hydraulic tensioner if you forget to pop a 3mm pin in the damper prior to removal !! Anyway, i guess that i will probably have to purchase anew one (costly out here in Oz). Anyway, i reassembled the unit with engine oil, ran the car, all good for 10 km or so, then some rattling. On inspection i found that the tensioner was flapping around, albeit only a couple of mm. Sounded awful. So stripped it off again, made a few adjustments and same thing happened. What baffles me is that after leaving the car for 10 minutes or so, it goes away, then comes back at around 2000rpm. Being a stubborn type of chap, i am determined to work out why?

Has anyone ever stripped one of these tensioners? If so, do you have pics, (schematic would be awesome) of order of things, in case i was having a senior late night moment ! Any idea of quantity of oil to add to the unit ? Or indeed what type of oil??

Your thoughts would be appreciated

Kevin

2. # ADS
    ADS

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    No schematic exists that i am aware of, they are a sealed non serviceable part