"How to" or shock replacement instructions

dancuz

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had a search but can't find instuctions or a "how to" guide for replacing shocks and springs on an S3. Has anyone come across one or have access to elsawin etc? Would rather have an idea of the best way of doing it before giving it a go next weekend.

Cheers in advance,

Dan

Its fairly straight forward a job... shock is held on by a bolt at the bottom thats at a slight angle (so watch it when you screw it back in else you could cross thread/strip the threads)... the top shock bolt is behind the inner arch liner so you need to undo a couple of screws to pull it out enough to get a spanner/socket behind..

Main thing to watch out for is the Xenon level sensor (on passenger side)... you need to undo the arm before you do anything else you WILL snap it off when you lean on the swinging arm to release the spring...

Basically, support car on sills as you need the arms to swing so don't stick a jack or axle stand under them... undo Xenon level sensor arm from lower tie bar, undo the shocks, lean on the arm to swing it down enough to get spring out... fitting is the reverse...

Heres some pics of when I did mine..
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...9-my-minor-modding-thread-43.html#post1671196

<tuffty/>

Sounds simple enough, thanks Tufty.

Don't mean to badger you (no pun intended), but I'm guessing the fronts aren't quite as simple?! Going to do the top mounts at the same time.

Cheers once again,

Dan

My bad... for some reason I just read that as rears lol... (was tired...)

Fronts are not too bad either... top nut is 22mm from memory and will need an Allen key to stop the damper turning while undoing it or use an impact gun to spin it off...

You will need to spread the hub carrier where the strut is sat in to get time out... there is a special tool that can be bought for around a tenner that fits on a 1/2 inch ratchet for spreading it...

Spring compressors are needed for the front springs but not the back...

<tuffty/>

No, you need these pictured below, without them, you need a friend with a large screwdriver or crowbar to undo the strut from the hub!

Strut nut tool. You only use the stubby one on the right.
ACA9DAEA-B939-44C3-ABAF-4A6162721D17-83899-000030F2B7014E98.jpg

I used a cordless airgun to undo the top strut nut(21mm), it's much quicker! :)
52873d2f.jpg

046cb110.jpg

You need to undo the Xenon height level sensor on the passenger side as mentioned earlier(10mm?), undo and take out the strut pinch bolt and nut(18mm), undo the ARB drop links(18mm I think?), then tap out with a mallet, unclip the speed/abs sensor wires and undo the brake line bracket from the strut(10mm).
bf63bc10.jpg

E6403AE3-315B-4F17-BEBA-A1809DE45068-75983-00002C047CF35E6D.jpg

Stick the strut nut in position and rotate 90 degrees to open thing up as pictured below. Then either the hub falls away if you are lucky, or if it's seized on like mine, it's hammer time!
7EAC0256-200C-484D-ADC0-FDB8B2026669-6445-000003F63AC866B1.jpg

Remove complete strut from car.
CBD7F198-E571-465E-8178-99C3CE082B9F-6445-000003F649DC0608.jpg

Compress springs and undo the lower strut top bolt, but you either need a deep socket if using an impact wrench(21mm), or allen key with open ring spanner if hand tools.

The rest is obvious, and refitting is reverse of instructions.

Last edited:
Thanks for the photos Jojo, very useful, I've got LCR top mounts to fit to mine.

Hmm, never seen one of those strut nut tools before, without your picture, I'd been wondering where it goes :-o

Thanks for the photos Jojo, very useful, I've got LCR top mounts to fit to mine.

Hmm, never seen one of those strut nut tools before, without your picture, I'd been wondering where it goes :-o

You don't really need it, but it makes it 100 times easier, if you are doing this by yourself! I found out the hard way. lol

If you are just changing the strut top mounts, the strut doesn't even need to come out!

Follow this!

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...change-strut-tops-without-removing-strut.html

Tufty, Jojo, thanks very much for this. Very useful.