Audi s3 traction control sensor?????

jay1

Reaction score
Hi recently bought an Audi s3 8l on a v plate it does not have the ESP button but I assume it has some form of traction control???
When I was having a look under the car i noticed there was a small box with a little arm attached to the suspension on the front and rear passenger side the rear one is not connected the small arm is broken the car drives fine can anyone tell me what it is and what it does I have tried googling it but no joy thanks

So I assume you have a 99/00 model? I have a 2000 model (APY engine) and no ESP button which = no traction control/ESP.

I've had my car for almost 4 years and not once have I thought I really needed ESP at all- this is also after coming from another 8L S3 that did have ESP.....just look at it as "There is 1 less thing that could go wrong!" lol

Oh and the little box and arm that you are discussing I Think is the head light adjusting arms that will slightly alter the positioning of your lights in relation to how much of a heavy load you have on your vehicle....I am sure someone will be along to correct me on the above with my limited knowledge :)

The black box is Xenon levelling sensors... if broken then the Xenons would self level and at this is being introduced as a test to the MOT so will need to work to pass... if no ESP button then no ESP/traction control...

<tuffty/>

So I assume you have a 99/00 model? I have a 2000 model (APY engine) and no ESP button which = no traction control/ESP.

I've had my car for almost 4 years and not once have I thought I really needed ESP at all- this is also after coming from another 8L S3 that did have ESP.....just look at it as "There is 1 less thing that could go wrong!" lol

Oh and the little box and arm that you are discussing I Think is the head light adjusting arms that will slightly alter the positioning of your lights in relation to how much of a heavy load you have on your vehicle....I am sure someone will be along to correct me on the above with my limited knowledge :)

Hi yeah it's a 2000 also apy and like you say one less thing to go wrong!! I have only had it for a month I work away so only used it twice go home a week today can't wait to drive it again so what's it like in the snow/ice without traction control?

The black box is Xenon levelling sensors... if broken then the Xenons would self level and at this is being introduced as a test to the MOT so will need to work to pass... if no ESP button then no ESP/traction control...

<tuffty/>

Thanks I never thought it would be something like that I have a mk1 a3 1.8t aswell and that has the headlight adjustment next to the dash light brightness control and I had wondered why the s3 did not have it I guess that's why

Hi yeah it's a 2000 also apy and like you say one less thing to go wrong!! I have only had it for a month I work away so only used it twice go home a week today can't wait to drive it again so what's it like in the snow/ice without traction control?

To be honest mate it's more down to the tyres with any vehicle when it comes to snow/ice.....

The first 2 years I had her I fitted all year round years on and a bit of slush/snow wasn't to much of a problem - but last year I switched to summer tyres and she did struggle a bit as i didn't have a spare set to chuck some winters on....

I remember being in my mates clio last year and he had purchased some vredestein snowtrac 3's.......We were driving up a slight gradient of a hill over taking X5's and XC90's that were parked up on the side of the road and abandoned as they obviously still had summer typres on! lol