fix something and runs well for 1 day, thats it

karl210

Reaction score
Right im getting a bit peed off now, my car hasnt run well for the 6 months ive had it. Ive posted logs and asked on here and people have said change various things but everytime i change something it runs great and i think ive finally fixed it, but the next day its exactly the same as before! as though the ecu is not liking the full power of the engine. It doesnt rev through the gears, i keep feeling the engine loosing power at certain revs then the ecu gives it back then lets it go again. Here are all the things ive changed that have given me a good result but then back to normal the next day, ive done all these seperately.
n249 delete
injector clean
full pcv delete with catch can
new cts
new maf
fuel filter
Theres probably more too which i will post when i remember, too early right now..

I know you probably cant guess what it is but i was just wondering has this happened to anyone else or does anyone know why it might be doing this?

any error codes flagged ?
done a smoke test ?
fuel pump ? (check flow X litres per minute)
coil packs (should flag up as misfiring)

no codes no
i know i have a small boost leak somewhere but i dont know if this is the problem because it wouldnt seal itself when i replace something on the car and it runs well then the day after it runs rubbish again, it would be a more constant thing.
how would i check the fuel pump?
there are 0 missfires according to vag com and i certantly cant feel any, its as though the ecu is protecting it, i might wind the actuator right down and tighten it up bit by bit and see how that goes

Fuel pump check - I've only done it with carb equipped cars, I disconnected the primary power feed off the coil, take the fuel pipe off the carb and direct the fuel pipe into a measuring jug, turn the engine over for 15 seconds and extrapolate the litres per minute from how much fuel is pumped. It's not the safest of things to do and may not be applicable to our cars. Hopefully Tufty or one of the other guys will chip in.

So it runs like crap when cold, but ok when warm ? You've already changed the coolant sensor I see. Did you buy it from VAG garage ? Not an ebay special ??

what car is it
is it remapped ?

doesnt matter if its warm or cold the engine feels flat and is holding back so much potential i know it has.
No its a genuine item, even changing that restored power but only for a day i really dont get it.
its a 2002 s3 amk engine with stage 1 oettinger remap, n249 delete, pcv delete, b5 tip, cone filter
the vwvortex boys are suggesting putting a 4bar fpr in, ive not seen much nice things about them on here though

Try stripping your coil pack harness back and check your wires.
my car did what your saying and it turned out the wiring had about 10 holes in it.
And the good thing its FREE.
well 2 quid for insulating tape.

ive looked at the harness and yeah there are some wires showing, would this actually give these symptoms though because there are 0 missfires and it doesnt feel as thought its missfiring atall

only one way to find out.
have you stripped them right back to were they all join together?( most of my holes were out of sight)
and they cured my issues
lets face if the wires are showing they need doing to stop future problems.

please update the thread so future users can resolve or rule out similar issues.
Nothing worse than seeing no end and wondering how the op resolved the issue.

yeah dont worry i do that anyway, really annoys me when people dont because you do a search, read through a full thread then they dont post back with results