Opinions on my big end!! Haha

Omniquito

Reaction score
Hi all,

2000 APY S3 on 220k FSH

Long story short:

Oil pressure light, blocked gauze, new gauze by garage, oil pressure light even worse and strip to find gauze 100% full of garage sump sealant!! Grrrr

Dropped my sump off and wondered if you more knowledgeable folk would have an opinion on the centre main bearing cap...

Its darker in colour than the others but cant work out if its from friction or simply a lot of miles worth of long life oil gunk in that particular area (maybe a return gallery in that area?)

Please see the pic below:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348661970624430

For a laugh, heres what came out of my gauze in the first instance...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348662149342553

And heres the gauze 100 miles later after the garage had finished with it!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348662185366725

Cheers, Neil.

Darker normally means its seen heat but difficult to tell as the attachements are too small...

If its seen heat (through running dry) then its a fair chance its worn the bearing and taken the crank with it....

<tuffty/>

Don't forget to replace the bolts if you do owt with it... I have actually seen a cap come loose and end up through the back of the block... not a good day out..

<tuffty/>

Don't forget to replace the bolts if you do owt with it... I have actually seen a cap come loose and end up through the back of the block... not a good day out..

<tuffty/>

Worth adding that that was not because they had been removed and refitted with old bolts however.

I doesnt knock, thank fully.

You say that i have to replace the bolts but the one that came off wasnt cos the bolts were reused?

How flexible is reusing the bolts?!? Lol as they are ****** expensive!

How flexible is reusing the bolts?!? Lol as they are ****** expensive!

How flexible is the side of your engine when something hits the crank and flies through it?

Replacement engine is a bit more ****** expensive.

My 2 cents having seen this first hand (And I still have piece of the crank cap from my mate's engine).

Fix cheap fix twice my friend.

... I asked for that! Lol
consider that a sort of cyber-slap.
Not at all mate, I'm not trying to be ***** or anything like that. However it does pay to point that out. It's a small cost versus the implicated cost in case of failure.Ultimately it's up to you.Would you take off a timing belt that had done 40,000 miles and put it back on?

Full of garage sealant? So can't you sue them for brand new engine? ;)

the bolts are £1.48 each.

Best case, you remove the cap, the bearing is perfect, you spend 3 quid on bolts and refit.

Worst case, you remove the cap, its scrapped and you need a new engine or a full rebuild anyway so 3 quid doesnt matter.

Thats cool Welly, i knew you werent bring horrible :)

As for the garage, it is owned by a friend and hes the only one i trust...
However, he did say it was something you have to watch out for! Haha
Seriously though, he would of got one of his monkeys to do it and im not happy, hes away for two weeks so will be taking it up when he gets back for a refund.

Aragorn, i was told they were 8 quid each stretch bolts so was a little worried but if they are that cheap then no probs!

Thanks guys :)