Volks AutosSky Insurance
    1st Gear

Status

Low Miles cambelt change

I don't use my Audi 1.8T 2002 much these days, it just comming up to 50k miles, the last time I had its cambelt changed was at 30k miles which will be 5 years ago Jan 2013. Do you think I should get it done even though the miles driven since the last one is only 20k, I know its comming upto 5 years but considering the low miles would it really be needed ? I ask the garage to have a look and they said the cambelt was shiny in places, it is possible to check the state of the cambelt with out remving other alternator etc ?
    2002 A3 1.8T

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Get it done mate... its 5 years or 70k for a reason.... while the belt may not have been worked too hard it will still deteriorate over time regardless of mileage... not worth the risk as the resultant carnage can cost thousands to put right..

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    Get it done mate... its 5 years or 70k for a reason.... while the belt may not have been worked too hard it will still deteriorate over time regardless of mileage... not worth the risk as the resultant carnage can cost thousands to put right..

<tuffty/>
    Thanks, will get it done then I knew I should really but was in denial , will make the car more sellable as well when I come to shift it in 12 months time.

My local garage (London) quoted me £400 all in and that includes water pump seems reasonable, I did notice though on the quote its lists both a 'Cambelt Kit' and a 'Ribbed belt' seperately, doesnt the ribbed belt come as part of the cambelt kit, or is this something different for the water pump ? The ribbed was priced at £53 (including VAT) so if mistake on quote I want to mention it ?

cheers
    2002 A3 1.8T

4th Gear

Status
    The ribbed belt is the aux belt I would have thought, it doesn't come in the Cambelt kit and some garages view is as it has to come off replace it rather than refit it, price seems about right for your area, down here its £340 all in

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by phil miller View Post
    The ribbed belt is the aux belt I would have thought, it doesn't come in the Cambelt kit and some garages view is as it has to come off replace it rather than refit it, price seems about right for your area, down here its £340 all in
    Cheers, £400 is the cheapest I could find in London and local to me, the big Indi sort of near me Fontain wanted £499 not even sure that included water pump, Audi main dealer wanted £429 again not sure if that included water pump I assume not.
    2002 A3 1.8T

4th Gear

Status

Low Miles cambelt change

Main dealers don't usually change the pump unless you ask.

I changed water pump and belt at 20kmls on my 8P. Crazy I know but I didn't want to risk it. Prevention is cheaper than cure
    2008 E92 BMW 335i M-sport
    1990 Golf GTi w/ a 20v heart BUILD THREAD
    Full VCDS

2006 A3 2.0T quattro S-line R.I.P. You will be missed.

** Breaking - 8L 1997 Audi A3 1.8T. **