JMB RetrofitsEM Tuning
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    newport
    Posts
    13

    Retrofit steering wheel

    I've been offered an S3 8P steering wheel and was wondering if it will fit my 2002 S3, is this possible? Are the splines the same size? Any help would be appreciated
    thanks

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    AJC
    AJC's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by mattjay50 View Post
    I've been offered an S3 8P steering wheel and was wondering if it will fit my 2002 S3, is this possible? Are the splines the same size? Any help would be appreciated
    thanks

    The wheel will fit fine but the airbags are different on the 8P. 8Ls have just one sensor to activate the airbag, 8Ps have two. To make an 8P airbag work you will need a custom made wiring harness to bypass the second sensor otherwise you'll get all sorts of warning lights, fault codes not to mention a malfunctioning or inactive airbag. The only people I know who can do this work are Hazzy Dayz so best give them a call for an up-to-date price. Home - Vw & Audi Sat Nav, Bluetooth , TV Tuners, Cruise Control Installations UK

    IMG_0080.jpg

  4. #3
    Pushing the limits..

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,316

    My Social Networking

    Add Sevv on Facebook
    this steering wheel is tempting .. likies!!!

    however if that wiring harness would the bottons also work on the steering wheel... im looking at getting one

    i have eyed that one but not sure

    MFSW multifunction steering wheel Audi sline flat bottom, Audi S-LINE | eBay

  5. #4
    s3dave's Avatar
    TFSI Hybrid

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    west yorks
    Posts
    10,121
    Be careful buying theses without the airbag/cover as theses can cost more than the wheel !!

  6. #5
    Dani_B19's Avatar
    Audi-sports own special child.

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Barnsley
    Posts
    7,233
    Dave who wired your wheel up?
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

  7. #6
    Pushing the limits..

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,316

    My Social Networking

    Add Sevv on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    Be careful buying theses without the airbag/cover as theses can cost more than the wheel !!
    yeah i was looking at that the airbag is quite expensive.. though the wheel was same trim as the dash piano black so i though it blend well...guess need to look for another one.

    just need to know how to get that wiring harness

  8. #7
    AJC
    AJC's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    Be careful buying theses without the airbag/cover as theses can cost more than the wheel !!

    Good advice Dave, an airbag alone can cost £350.

  9. #8
    AJC
    AJC's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevv View Post
    ..........

    just need to know how to get that wiring harness
    Sevv as I've already posted the only people I know that can make a wiring harness for you are these guys:

    Home - Vw & Audi Sat Nav, Bluetooth , TV Tuners, Cruise Control Installations UK

    A few 8L owners have fitted this wheel and most/all of us have used the guys above. If there is anyone else who is confident doing this type of work then perhaps someone can add their details to this thread......

  10. #9
    Pushing the limits..

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,316

    My Social Networking

    Add Sevv on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by AJC View Post
    The only people I know that can make a wiring harness for you are these guys:

    Home - Vw & Audi Sat Nav, Bluetooth , TV Tuners, Cruise Control Installations UK

    thanks mate are these the ones you did you conversion at? hopefully they ship to OZ..

  11. #10
    AJC
    AJC's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevv View Post
    thanks mate are these the ones you did you conversion at? hopefully they ship to OZ..
    Sevv - Yes I used these guys to do the whole thing. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if it's that straight forward to just send a wiring harness. Best bet is to give them a call. They can supply the wheel or you could send one you had already bought off eBay to them and save the VAT. It was quite a job fitting it though and they had most of the dash in bits for most of the day!

  12. #11
    Pushing the limits..

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,316

    My Social Networking

    Add Sevv on Facebook
    by most of the dash in bits you mean they took it all of.. so im assuming its not as easy as plug and play like a aftermarket headunit ...


    well i have em a ring told me to send them over an email so i hope ill be able to do it!! it would compliment the TT pedal and 8P knob

  13. #12
    vfr800's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Melting Beans
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevv View Post
    by most of the dash in bits you mean they took it all of.. so im assuming its not as easy as plug and play like a aftermarket headunit ...


    well i have em a ring told me to send them over an email so i hope ill be able to do it!! it would compliment the TT pedal and 8P knob
    I had a google to see if there were any wiring diagrams for it - from what I found I think you have to retrofit a different airbag control module. Which then requires retro fit of the wiring harness back up to the airbag.

    @AJC - If you don't mind, how much did the retrofit cost? did you supply the wheel & airbag?

    Liam

    S3 AMK 2002. Only 203 BHP left in my poor little engine, currently searching for the 7 missing horses.
    Mods: Powerflex bushes at the front and rear, 710P DV, ambient light module, Badger5 V3 TIP, S2000 Filter.

  14. #13
    AJC
    AJC's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by vfr800 View Post
    @AJC - If you don't mind, how much did the retrofit cost? did you supply the wheel & airbag?

    Liam
    Liam - I supplied the wheel complete with airbag (which was £400 off eBay) and the cost to retrofit was around £200 inc VAT and parts. He used an Audi harness which he had to adapt to suit and I was there the whole day whilst he was fitting it. Think they flashed a new program to the control module as well. Certainly not plug and play.

  15. #14
    vfr800's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Melting Beans
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by AJC View Post
    Liam - I supplied the wheel complete with airbag (which was £400 off eBay) and the cost to retrofit was around £200 inc VAT and parts. He used an Audi harness which he had to adapt to suit and I was there the whole day whilst he was fitting it. Think they flashed a new program to the control module as well. Certainly not plug and play.
    Cheers. Seems like a reasonable cost if you can get a wheel & airbag.

    Do all the multifunction buttons work correctly? Did you have to change the slip ring?

    S3 AMK 2002. Only 203 BHP left in my poor little engine, currently searching for the 7 missing horses.
    Mods: Powerflex bushes at the front and rear, 710P DV, ambient light module, Badger5 V3 TIP, S2000 Filter.

  16. #15
    AJC
    AJC's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by vfr800 View Post
    Cheers. Seems like a reasonable cost if you can get a wheel & airbag.

    Do all the multifunction buttons work correctly? Did you have to change the slip ring?
    Yes all buttons work and I had had SDS fitted before so the speech functions work. Don't think they changed the slip ring? Considering how long it takes I thought the price was good. Fitting a stereo yourself is one thing, trying to correctly wire an explosive airbag was something best left to the professionals I thought.

  17. #16
    Pushing the limits..

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,316

    My Social Networking

    Add Sevv on Facebook

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by AJC View Post
    Yes all buttons work and I had had SDS fitted before so the speech functions work. Don't think they changed the slip ring? Considering how long it takes I thought the price was good. Fitting a stereo yourself is one thing, trying to correctly wire an explosive airbag was something best left to the professionals I thought.

    hello mate i contacted hazzy dazzy Ltd... they have informed me that they can do a wiring harness for the airbags however the buttons on the wheel will be dysfunctional...

    thats what they said

    "Hi Sebastien,

    Thanks for your email, the loom to fit a TT Mk2 wheel and airbag to your model A3 8L will cost £120 + VAT. This will effectively make it plug and play.


    Best Regards

    Gareth Hawkridge

    HazzyDayz Ltd"

    then they didnt realize it was the wrong car so ... they sent this again once i told em it was an S3 8L

    "No they're not the same, however the loom we can supply will make everything work except for the Multifunction Buttons"

    SUCH A BUMMER!

    AJ i like the term "explosive thats hillarious" just imagine fitting it and all of a sudden you find your head bouncing back!

    Last edited by Sevv; 25th September 2012 at 03:10.

  18. #17
    Pushing the limits..

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,316

    My Social Networking

    Add Sevv on Facebook
    well guys ive been looking at ebay and found this wiring harness for the wheel ? any thoughts ?

    Multifunction Steering Wheel MFL Upgrade Adapter Harness Audi A3 S3 8L | eBay

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Retrofitting RS4 (B7) Steering Wheel
    By ConradBuff in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 26th December 2009, 16:37
  2. HELP!!?? Cruise control retrofit steering wheel module part number???
    By Joe90k in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 13th June 2009, 11:18
  3. Retrofit Steering Wheel...
    By jb0o in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 8th February 2009, 16:01
  4. Multi-Function Steering Wheel Retrofit to Audi A3
    By fesss_84 in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 3rd December 2007, 17:23
  5. Retrofit MultiFunction Steering Wheel
    By wallacr in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15th July 2007, 19:58

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO