Wheel Spacer Bolts

• Thread starter imported_MancheS3er
  • Start date
I

imported_MancheS3er

Just a quick one, I know this is just being really lazy and I should just go take my wheels off and measure myself but can anyone tell me what bolt lengths/type I need to buy if I purchase the FK hubcentric 20mm Front/30mm Rear (per axle) set-up.

My current wheels/bolts are the OEM 18" RSTT's with the standard manufacturer bolts.

Also, where can I buy them ?

Do they make extended bolts with locknuts ??

Thanks guys

I think this has been said on here before under wheel spacers. They are M14x1.5 and are 38-40 long I think. Increase accordingly. Demon Tweeks do them although in the mentioned thread they do mention an alternative supplier. Ask DickyS3. He's done his.

Chris.

The standard bolts are indeed M14x1.5 and are 27mm in length.

Basic rule of thumb is you need to add the spacer width to the 27mm figure and get bolts this length.

So you will need 37mm bolts for the front (or near as dam it) and 42mm for the rears.

You can order the bolts from trackstore.co.uk.

Rich.

Rich, just took a look at that trackstore site and it looks like they have the following:

sb54R: Wheel bolt 14mm x 1.5 loose rad 35mm long 19hex
sb55R: Wheel bolt 14mm x 1.5 loose rad 43mm long 19hex

Do you reckon these are OK ?

Should I be buying longer bolts and trimming them or is 1mm or 2mm either side not really important ?

The next size up for the front would be:

sb5517: Wheel bolt 14mm x 1.5 fixed 60 40mm long 17hex

What's 17/19 hex, does this make any difference ?
What's fixed or loose?, loose doesn't sound right when it comes to wheel bolts !

Just don't want my wheels to fall off understandably !!

17 / 19 is the socket diameter you will need to use to screw them in.

I wouldn't worry too much about this. You just need to ensure that you have a socket in your boot to get them on/off if you need to (The wheel brace may be 17 and the bolts 19!)

Bolts come with different seats. You need to take one of your bolts out and look to see how it is shaped. It will either be round (Rad) or tapered (Fixed 60)

Give the guys a ring and tell them what you want and they will advise you. They are really helpfull!

Don't forget you will need to get longer locking wheel nuts! I would recomend McGuard ones. Have a look on the McGuard website for the correct demensions/ lengths etc.

Hope this helps
Rich.

Thanks again Rich but now I'm really confused. I get the hex size thing, I may just need 2 tools to get the wheel off so that's OK but the Mcgard web-site has the following bolt lengths (is there no industry standard here):

M14 x 1,5 40,0 MM 17 MM 27183
M14 x 1,5 45,0 MM 17 MM 27209

Do you know what happens behind the bolt, i.e. does the bolt stop against a plate or does it just go right through the hub and out the other side. What I'm getting at is, is there a problem with the bolts being 2/3mm too long. Will this cause a problem ??

Don't worry about getting confused! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2 to 3 mm won't make any difference. If i remember correctly, I used 40mm all round in the end. I have 11mm spacers on the front and 15mm on the rear. I had the same nightmare as you when trying to source bolts!

I needed 27mm + 11mm = 38mm for the fronts (I used 40mm with no problem)

I needed 27mm +15mm = 42mm for the rears (I used 40mm with no probem)

When I asked "Everyone" about how accurate I had to be with getting the correct bolts (as I too was paranoid about my wheels falling off!) it seemed that a couple of mm wouldn't make that much difference!

Everybody in the industry quoted "as long as you get 6 turns" you'l be fine as this is the minimum requirement set by H&S.

with the 40mm bolts I had supplied, I managed to get 8 turns on the front and about 7 on the rears.

I have had the spacers on for a good while now and the wheels have never fallen off! (Touch wood!)

Hope this helps
Rich

Sorry if this adds a bit more confusion but as a basic guide the diameter of the bolt should equal the minimum depth of thread, so 14mm dia = 14mm depth minimum.
Cheers
Lee

Funny, in engineering the general rule is 1.5 x diameter is maximum thread strength. But surely it depends on which direction the forces are acting.

Chris.

i have m14 x 1.5 after much discussion on the subject in another thread.

recommended you get near 6 or more for safety and tight 100 miles after

stock have 27mm you need to add the width of spacer on to this iirc

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I said! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Funny, in engineering the general rule is 1.5 x diameter is maximum thread strength. But surely it depends on which direction the forces are acting.

Chris.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are absolutely right Chris 1.5 x the diameter is the recommended thread depth. I wasn't very clear in my explanation, but the effective strengh of a thread is only equal to the bolt diameter.

Cheers
Lee

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I said! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

lol sorry dude i sometimes miss a post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif while i'm skimming the thread, i think you told me in the first place this info too!