AVS-Longlife Servicing, Engine Death as a consequence-Oil Pickup pipe etc

Update on the TT180 which suffered the problem..
Its engine went bang yesterday :(

We did'nt save it..
too much damage and shells not enough to save it

dont let this happen to you

Did you just change the shells over and give it a run? What failed on it yesterday?
No we did'nt "just" change the shells & give it a run.
Wwe changed all the big end shell's removed the main caps to look see on the crank, replaced all the bolts (one time use) and did as much as we could to tidy up the scored journal and rod.. which was ****** and blue! New oil pump, new oil pickup pipe..

I loaded it on the dyno here and got it hot, and all was quiet at that point.. a few days later on the road its gone rattle rattle.

No idea whats failed, have'nt seen the car yet. He wanted the minimum to get it going long enough to trade it in on a 225 tt.. Sadly it did'nt last long at all. Driving it 40 miles or more with an oil light is never going to be a good thing tho is it!!

We did the max possible for the budget he did'nt have... and was always a "hope" it had'nt been beyond economic repair.. The engine felt tighter than normal just rotating it by hand, which was never a good sign, and some 30bhp lower than it used to be. It was the cheapest 1st attempt..... so worth a punt doing for him.

He's sourced an LCR motor for good money, so we will set about swapping it. His engine was toast... and we "hoped" it could be limped along a little longer for him.. Not long at all as it turned out.

Last edited:
He having th pick up pipe changed? Would be silly not to

What's involved in changing from AVS to fixed?

I'm guessing different oil and a software change?

I know dropping the oil and filter is an easy DIY. But should I get it done by my garage?

I've just had the S3 serviced with Quantum Longlife III oil :( <500 miles ago.

The oil pick up has been on my todo list for far to long ... a little trip to TPS this afternoon me thinks.

Liam

What's involved in changing from AVS to fixed?

I'm guessing different oil and a software change?

I know dropping the oil and filter is an easy DIY. But should I get it done by my garage?

I've just had the S3 serviced with Quantum Longlife III oil :( <500 miles ago.

The oil pick up has been on my todo list for far to long ... a little trip to TPS this afternoon me thinks.

Liam

VCDS can change the service schedule so your dash pops up more regularly with the "please service me now request"

Oil should be fully synth 5w-40w as our engines atre a little old now rather than the reccomended 5w-30w

Pick up pipe is less than £10 from the stealers you also need the proper audi sump sealent and i also got a few of the bolts too just incase the old ones were a bit knackered.

Personally i dont go via the dash service schedule as the cost of service parts these days from ECP etc means that you can service the car much more regularly without breaking the bank as 5l of oil plus filter plus plugs is still less than £50 inc P+P so defo worth it every 6-8K IMHO

Any Guides on how to do the pickup pipe on here ? Would i need a Ramp? im thinking of fitting a shallow sump aswell.

Let me know

see post 25 on page 1 or check the stickies mate :)

VCDS can change the service schedule so your dash pops up more regularly with the "please service me now request"

oki will I need full VCDS? - I only have the registered Lite version.

Pick up pipe is less than £10 from the stealers you also need the proper audi sump sealent and i also got a few of the bolts too just incase the old ones were a bit knackered.

Good idea on the bolts, I have the proper sump sealant somewhere.

Thanks. Liam

Not sure if you need full VCDS or not mate as not really played with the lite version myself

Pickup, o-ring and sump sealant ordered today from my local stealers, plus got the Haldex oil & filter to do while I'm under there. Might as well replace the ageing Haldex earth strap while I'm at it. This isn't going to happen to my baby.

Thanks for the heads up on this Bill. I had my oil pick up pipe replaced yesterday and it was full of sludge despite regular oil changes and FSH. You may well have saved my car from going bang in the near future as I wouldn't have had any idea about the issue if it wasn't for you and this great forum.

Having read the multiple threads on oil pickup pipe blockages & the consequences, I decided to get mine done. Its a 2002 A3 8L 1.8T AUM 100k miles.

No oil warning lights for me but was starting to sound pretty tappetty for the first second on a cold start and getting worse recently, even with oil topped up. Didn't sound as bad as a diesel though.

Pickup pipe rose/strainer was blocked almost solid. Now replaced. As the sump was off anyway it made sense to replace the oil pump too. All original Audi parts.

Car sounds sooooo much better on startup now.

Thanks for the info guys - I think I dodged a bullet on this one!

John.

Reactions: badger5
Having read the multiple threads on oil pickup pipe blockages & the consequences, I decided to get mine done. Its a 2002 A3 8L 1.8T AUM 100k miles.

No oil warning lights for me but was starting to sound pretty tappetty for the first second on a cold start and getting worse recently, even with oil topped up. Didn't sound as bad as a diesel though.

Pickup pipe rose/strainer was blocked almost solid. Now replaced. As the sump was off anyway it made sense to replace the oil pump too. All original Audi parts.

Car sounds sooooo much better on startup now.

Thanks for the info guys - I think I dodged a bullet on this one!

John.

Good good! Glad everyone is getting theirs done!

Maybe ott but since we bought our A3 1.8t 7 years ago, in our hands it's never had the long life oil service.
We've always dropped it every 4-6 months... Over the years the oil has got cleaner and cleaner between oil changes...
We've also done the pick up pipe just because its a know issue...
Engine is sweet as a nut... :sly:
It now does little mileage tbh, only used on good days for a blast, but still keeping the oil changes regular...