Oil pressure gauge fitment & measure

Omniquito

Reaction score
Hi everyone, yet another pressure related question.

Am i right in thinking that if i fit a pressure gauge to test my oil pump if my bottom end is shot it will show low pressure too so wont single out the pump?

I am most likely going to unscrew the pressure switch and fit a gauge in there but really want to prove the pump or not as the case maybe.

Pumps don't normally go its the oil pick up that gets blocked that typically causes the problem... if the bottom end is shot its most likely the result of an oil problem rather than the cause...

Got a TT in at the minute that had a blocked oil pick up and was on a track day at combe... its spun a big end bearing....

<tuffty/>

Hi tufty.

I had the pickup replaced and it was rammed but didnt stop the issue of the 3 lights and top end starvation when warm...

Chances are then the damage is done... a new pump can be bought for around 40 quid on eBay (Topran brand, I use on myself)...

I was chasing a rattle on mine which turned out to be small ends but while doing so I changed the oil filter housing which has a one way valve in it, new oil pump and a few other things...

Oil pressure should be around a bar on idle and be on 4 bar or more iirc once the revs rise....

If your oil pressure is low then it could be the bottom end is shot... you can inspect the big ends while the sump is off...

Check oil pressure first... there is a capped hole on top of the oil filter housing that you can use for the pressure gauge rather than pulling the pressure switch... confirm its pressure related rather than a dodgy sensor as the sump sensors can go iffy too...

<tuffty/>

Thanks mate, a lot of possibilities to check for but need to start somewhere so i will test the pressure.
Do you know what thread it is?

Thanks you fellas, thats what i will be doing this weekend then!
At this tap, if i had low pressure would this suggest only the pump could be to blame or does it go through the big ends etc and give me false hope to the pump?

it does'nt really prove either distinctly...

excessive clearances on bearings would also lead to lower oil pressures... as could a tired pump.
pump cost ~ £80-£90 to be sure