Brake caliper rebuild

Arrkon

Back in a "B"
Staff member
Regional Rep
Reaction score
Hey guys, normally found in the B5 section, but....

Have some brake calipers from an S3 8L, and wonder if there is a rebuild kit (seals etc...) for them out there somewhere?

Plan is to have them blasted and powder coated but may as well rebuild with new seals and bits, as they have to be bare stripped for powder coat.

Cheers all.

If they're for your A4 you dont really want to use S3 calipers.

S3 calipers have 54mm pistons, the A4 ones are 57mm

Biggred do the seals etc, i've just rebuilt a set for our Avant, though i've been lazy and not written it up yet.

If they're for your A4 you dont really want to use S3 calipers.

S3 calipers have 54mm pistons, the A4 ones are 57mm

Biggred do the seals etc, i've just rebuilt a set for our Avant, though i've been lazy and not written it up yet.

I thought the calipers were the same for both? There's an actual difference in piston size? That would explain why my Passat seems to have better stopping power with 312s over my S3.

surely, kev, that 3mm wont make that big of a difference?

In braking terms Rob, every little helps! Of course your B5 would probably have a slightly bigger master cylinder to make use of the extra 3mm? As mentioned above, I've always felt my Passat had sharper brakes than my S3.

course it will, its about 10% less piston area, meaning a 10% reduction in braking and probably a **** feeling pedal.

If your wanting to rebuild some before installing them on your car, i've got a pair of A4 calipers you can borrow. Just pay the shipping and send me your old ones back when your done.

course it will, its about 10% less piston area, meaning a 10% reduction in braking and probably a **** feeling pedal.

If your wanting to rebuild some before installing them on your car, i've got a pair of A4 calipers you can borrow. Just pay the shipping and send me your old ones back when your done.

cheers Kev, Just trying to up to 312 and get the callipers painted before ADI, but i have a weeks holiday in two days. If you can PM me a price to ship em next day (only need the callipers, as I'm using S3 carriers) will get a payment to you when i get back.

Shipping will be about 9 quid. I'll try and get them boxed up this evening and they'll be shipped out tomorrow.

Wouldn't rush Kev, i fly off on hols on thurs, so no one will be here to receive them. Will drop you a message when I'm back (aroun the 27th).

Cheers