A3 Quattro KO4 upgrade, its started

phil miller

Reaction score
Hi all, right after hi jacking Coatesy build thread i thought i should start mine, that way i can put all the info in here

Now the car is a 2001 Y plate A3 Quattro, 90,000 miles, 5 dr in burgundy, the inside is a horrible beige colour, now i bet your all thinking why buy it, well here is the answer, it was so cheap id have been a fool to say no, basicly it belonged to a customer of the garage where i work, he had always had loads of work done, new lambda sensors, DMF and clutch, coil packs, whatever it has needed when its needed, BUT the one thing it hadnt had was a service for 13,000miles (yep you got it, 20k service was his route) so one monday get to work and the quattro is there, he left a note saying he was on the motorway, the oil light came on and it cut out
So after removing the sump to check the pick up and finding it full of crap the ARY was dead, we priced up a replacement engine and the customer said he would scrap it, he was almost in tears so i offered him a little more than scrap money (you prob have an idea how much i gave for it lol) my plan was to replace the engine, put 12 months MOT on it and flog it on up the line, so i found an AGU (150 not 180 like the ARY) very very cheap, knew the owner so took his hand off, now the AGU came without a turbo, this has proved to be the turning point in this car

I had some time off and thanks to cornwall being under water came home sooner than planned, took the time to take the ARY out of the A3, i swapped over everything, i only used the AGU head and block, the ARY gave its rocker cover, inlet and exhaust manifolds, wiring loom and pipes, first problem found, the AGU doesnt have EGR so the sensor is plugged in but unable to do anything, second problem VVT unit on the ARY was melted, so to prevent poss limp mode i just connected up the sensor so all back together and running well i took her for a road test, christ she went well, not holding boost overly well but TBH the turbo must have been ******, anyway used it for a few days and checked the oil, at this point the turbo issue was a massive one, it had drunk over 1 lt in barely 120miles, time to think, replace with a KO3s and sell or due to the amount the car owed me go mad keep it, but me being me would prob get bored in no time so after chatting with Russ who has an S3 i decided to go down the KO4 route and aim for 260 BHP, the list was drawn up, i found a KO4 exhaust manifold and down pipe, and a turbo, its meant to be in very good nick, when it arrives if it isnt then i will get it rebuilt or hybrid'd, gotta get some BAM injectors (im using the ARY TB thats DBW) a FMIC a TT MAF body i think thats all for the mo (please add if ive missed anything)

Russ has a TIP for me and fingers crossed some 312mm carriers to help stop the thing, here are some pics of her, not the best but hey ho, more will follow lol

any advice is more than welcome
F5E7D757-023F-4B53-A2A3-723DACEE0213-11094-00000E3320B7E9EB.jpg

786FC0DA-353A-443C-9E08-CA57F3E32102-11094-00000E332C0A7FD1.jpg

4AAFCDED-56B1-4F28-BED8-66AFAA4FF51F-11094-00000E3335CB38F9.jpg

EB9A0D73-7B88-4D31-8E77-03DA5689E142-11094-00000E333B94ACE1.jpg

04874C45-C2A5-49BA-AE8E-8578668070F7-11094-00000E334033223E.jpg

here are some pics of the dead ARY head that i had to remove
you can see the cam jurnal has picked up in the head
B9DF35AA-0E5B-4E7B-BF19-A411D3F75A2F-11895-00000F2EDEC2809A.jpg

the head had melted it got that hot
194210A8-E7CD-4409-BDCA-E817AEF1CDF2-11895-00000F2EE5B0793C.jpg

and this is the chain end of the inlet cam it has picked up quite bad on them
57A15DFD-3F39-4E80-BD46-F46DBDC0BA26-11895-00000F2EEBA408CB.jpg

Jesus. I'm going to replace my pick up pipe again just to be safe lol Your right about that interior Phil but hopefully you'll be going so fast when your done no-one will be able to see it....
Russ

Jesus. I'm going to replace my pick up pipe again just to be safe lol Your right about that interior Phil but hopefully you'll be going so fast when your done no-one will be able to see it....
Russ

Lol, spitting flames aswell fingers crossed, ive been meaning to take the ARY to work to add to the scrape pile but its a nice reminder that the pick up is oh so important, will find a use for it, may teach my little boy how to take a head off and then have it somewhere to remind me to change the oil lol

Well the parts have started to arrive, time for a little update
78A9CB24-B4A2-4D67-8E51-228CB92967C9-13260-000011167C764C37_zpsfa741e44.jpg

C66CCAFC-36C8-4B4A-8630-71E4A361656D-13260-00001116886692E6_zpsdd0939ea.jpg

one the turbo is here (should be tomorrow) i will make a start on it all, cant wait, im like a kid in a sweet shop lol

Why keep the stock downpipe? Its a fairly horrible design!

Get yourself a nice 3" one!

i wanted to, aswell as a relentless manifold, but as the quattro is just for a little fun i couldnt justify the cost atm, the main problem is where do you draw the line, stainless system, ko4 hybrid, new rods, its endless, the car owes me next to nothing, the goodies can come later so to speak

Good work and a sensible attitude, going from 180bhp up to a potential 250/260? thats a hell of a mark up anyway! Custom map, fmic and tip-filter setup should show some pretty good results. Just a shame about the interior:drool:

Reactions: phil miller
Thank you mate, the interior still gets me down, I have thought about changing it, but most I've seen are 3dr so then I'd still have to find the door cards and headlining to match, one day a 5dr interior will come up and I will replace it then, until then I will have to wear sunglasses when I'm sat in it lol

Not sure if reesy has still got an interior maybe PM him?

And Phil You do right not ploughing money into it, its not gospel to have all the latest mods... some people actually just want to drive the ****** things...:icon_thumright:

Reactions: phil miller
meh weld the rear doors up then bosh three door ! then strip the rear out then no problem of finding interior

Lol that's not a bad idea dude, how are you finding your new turbo install?

Not sure if reesy has still got an interior maybe PM him?

And Phil You do right not ploughing money into it, its not gospel to have all the latest mods... some people actually just want to drive the ****** things...:icon_thumright:

Ideal, thank you mate, will pm him

Still, getting a 3" downpipe will make it easier to attach to your existing A3 exhaust. The S3 downpipe is designed for dual cats hence the horrible Y section. Do you have the S3 cats to go with it?

Still, getting a 3" downpipe will make it easier to attach to your existing A3 exhaust. The S3 downpipe is designed for dual cats hence the horrible Y section. Do you have the S3 cats to go with it?

Mine is a Quattro so has the dual cats already fitted dude, although it will be fun undoing the rusted round builds from the old downpipe to the cats, will get my angle grinder out lol

Mine is a Quattro so has the dual cats already fitted dude, although it will be fun undoing the rusted round builds from the old downpipe to the cats, will get my angle grinder out lol

I think you will find that although the TQS has dual cats that the orientation of the bolts is different so the flanges wont line up.... i know this because i fitted an S3 system to my TQS.... i got a full system off a BAM engined car and was going to fit the cats too as they looked in beter condition than mine but i had to keep the TQS ones because of this.....

I think you will find that although the TQS has dual cats that the orientation of the bolts is different so the flanges wont line up.... i know this because i fitted an S3 system to my TQS.... i got a full system off a BAM engined car and was going to fit the cats too as they looked in beter condition than mine but i had to keep the TQS ones because of this.....

Hmm, i put the quattro on the ramp today to MOT it, and the bolt pattern looks the same from my new downpipe to the cats, if its different then i will change the flanges on the cats, anyway the MOT went well, got a CV boot to do and n/s TRE, less than £20 for the parts, mot runs out on the 25 Oct so will replace them and then test it wed so will have a 13 month MOT before i fit the new parts
Also today i cleaned out my ARY sump (its got the level sensor the AGU one hasnt so will change it when the engines out) my OH is starting to think that i planned a KO4 change from the day i bought it, i keep saying i didnt but as parcels arrive each day she cant get her head round me finding all the bits so fast, she only agreed to it a week ago (i argeed it with myself ages ago lol)
A370D8E1-B7BF-4CCC-A591-CC040F4A488E-13935-000011FC5F12941A_zps97039ea1.jpg

all clean and ready for fitting

Is yours a facelift model ??? mines a 1999 so possibly that might make a difference but it definitely wouldn't mate up on mine... if you have access to welding then yeah just cut the flanges off and re-weld them in the correct place..... i always wanted to do this mod to mine but was never able to source the parts to my budget ( not very big ) good luck hope it all works out well

Yeah mines a facelift model, I've got a decent welder so will mod it if need be, I don't have a budget at all, I just seem to buy loads of bits lol, the good thing is the A3 isn't my daily, my golf is driven by the OH and our Vdub camper I use for work ( tbh I could walk to work but I enjoy driving the camper lol) so its not an issue the A3 being sat up for weeks on end

I prices up the oil and water pipes for the turbo today and it's just over £320 for all 4, any one got any forsale????????

320? You need a city loving mole in Plymouth TPS.... Theres a few S3s breaking on egay and also in the classifieds on here, have a word with them, its got to be better than that

320? You need a city loving mole in Plymouth TPS.... Theres a few S3s breaking on egay and also in the classifieds on here, have a word with them, its got to be better than that

Lol good idea, as much as I'd like to fit new I will go thro the ads and email members about them, if that still doesn't find them then will have to be evil bay

Still good for Sunday mate?

Reactions: Lee coley
Trawling ebay sucks but it saves a fortune untill you stumble across things that you suddenly find you can't live without lol
Yeah I'm all set for sunday, shiny new pick up pipe ready! And a raincoat

At least the drinks holder still works!:ermm:

lol, yeah i should have removed the empty before the pics lol

Russ, it wont be raining tomorrow have faith, ive got a new tube of the sump sealer already

Evil bay is awesome for finding odd parts, but, i find when im looking for something i find loads of bits i need, then little bad phil and angel phil sit on each shoulder, angel phil says "dont worry you will find this cheaper just wait" bad phil shots angel phil and says "dont listen, you need that NOW, and you WONT find it cheaper ever again, hit that buy it now button"

Thats how it is i promise you LOL

well the post man dropped off a parcel (for the OH :() at 8:45, then letters at 12:30, then at 2:35 we had this

8778960D-E361-414C-B90B-5A51AB8FA2A4-340-0000001B47FBB098_zps808581ce.jpg

i was like a kid in a sweet shop

1ACD906F-838F-460A-9126-9105CE7C95EE-340-0000001B530A0739_zpsbae712f8.jpg

510082B0-C3DC-4CC5-B5CC-42EFE836ABE1-340-0000001B5AD6EE50_zpsca3d8b53.jpg

61DC4B26-D045-4B19-AD8E-4100CD1F062A-340-0000001B61A7B5B0_zps40fc2ad0.jpg

35EB0972-D01C-495B-B111-5673A574C351-340-0000001B66CE7965_zpsf1c0424a.jpg

not waiting on much now, will be starting it next saturday

Ha Ha Ha! Couple of weeks ago Phil was being super sensible and was just going to put another k03 on it and get it running again. Oh how things change quickly! Good to see it coming on, its going to be fun when its mapped, might have found you an interior too, stocksy wants a baby proof ( wipe down ) interior so will be selling his cheap.
Its not going to rain tomorrow so I can replace my pick up pipe, good but boring. At the moment your project is far more interesting

Ha Ha Ha! Couple of weeks ago Phil was being super sensible and was just going to put another k03 on it and get it running again. Oh how things change quickly! Good to see it coming on, its going to be fun when its mapped, might have found you an interior too, stocksy wants a baby proof ( wipe down ) interior so will be selling his cheap.
Its not going to rain tomorrow so I can replace my pick up pipe, good but boring. At the moment your project is far more interesting

I think i got the rain bit a little wrong :(
i didnt know adz had an Audi, be sweet if he does sell his old interior, just down the road and be good to catch up with him
Im now in that awful stage, the parts are here to start the work, i wanna get started but have loads on this week so will have to wait till next saturday/sunday, but that will see it all fitted (weather permitting) im gonna bring my Turbo over for you to have a look at see what you think of it mate

Well today i went over to see slowcoach3, Russ gave me a TIP and panel filter (thank you again mate :)) i love your S3 dude

Also i spoke to Dan and he is gonna give my turbo the once over to make sure its a solid unit, so will be packing it up to send up to him tomorrow, fingers crossed it will be back for the weekend so i can fit it

Phil have you had a good read up on tolerences for play on k04's? I'm pretty sure you had a lot in yours but its always good to have a second opinion or two! Dan could always hybrid it while its there though....
I like my S3 too :rock: pleased to be able to help on your project

I won't spam your thread too much but doing the sump, pick up pipe etc in the piising rain today sucked and took hours! Never been so wet and cold lol to make it worse the sump was so clean you could eat your dinner out of it, I didn't even bother cleaning it! Changed the pick up though so now have peace of mind.
Thanks for the sealant mate or I wouldn't have been able to do it,
Russ

Is that a crack in the wastegate "penny" seat?

Nice progress though bud:icon_thumright:

Phil have you had a good read up on tolerences for play on k04's? I'm pretty sure you had a lot in yours but its always good to have a second opinion or two! Dan could always hybrid it while its there though....
I like my S3 too :rock: pleased to be able to help on your project

tbh even before id got home id textd dan asking about movement, he said that oil pressure takes it out, a little in and out is ok ish but like you said if its checked then it will be ok, so its off to Dan today, and will come back good as new (not hybrid'd tho :( as much as id love to i need to keep an eye on the costs atm)

I won't spam your thread too much but doing the sump, pick up pipe etc in the piising rain today sucked and took hours! Never been so wet and cold lol to make it worse the sump was so clean you could eat your dinner out of it, I didn't even bother cleaning it! Changed the pick up though so now have peace of mind.
Thanks for the sealant mate or I wouldn't have been able to do it,
Russ

The weather yesterday was awful, driving back across the moor i was being blown all over the place, glad the sump was clean and its all sorted now, Jake loved it over at yours:icon_thumright:

Is that a crack in the wastegate "penny" seat?

Nice progress though bud:icon_thumright:

Thank you mate, its coming together well atm
no there isnt a crack in it, it looks like a stain tbh, although the pic makes it look alot worse

Soz mate but that looks like a crack to me... I don't think its gonna present too much of a problem at the moment but tbh I haven't seen a used K04 that hasn't cracked...

This was mine when I took mine off to go BT..
20090906_CRW_3569.jpg

20090906_CRW_3567.jpg

These are fairly typical cracks... and I have seen much worse on less mileage too...

<tuffty/>

******, it's now boxed up, I'm sure it wasn't cracked but now I have that little doubt in my mind it might be, will let dan have a go at it, hybrid would be nice but as I've said it would add more money to it and I wanna try and keep te spend under control lol, Saturday is when it all starts, engine out, won't take to long, just a shame I've got 4 and a half days of work before I can start on her :(