A3 Quattro KO4 upgrade, its started

Ok so im clocking up miles now, so after finding my rocker cover gasket is still leaking (it was never gonna cure itself i know, but i did hope lol)

i decided to start the prep work for the next big change, so off came the wheels and on went these

They are gonna be refurb'd and have better rubber fitted, but atm they do what they need to :)

so when changing the wheels it became clear that all the bushes in my LCR cast arms are knackered, i knew the n/s/f bush was but not the rest, good job that i bought some powerflex ones

Now before anyone slates them like they did to Jardos this is my reasoning, ive bought the stock type, IE hole in the centre, now i dont believe with the coilovers ive got, tyres fitted that i would notice enough difference with the camber ones, im being honest i may do the odd track day but i dont think the gains on ron would justify double the money

so tomorrow im off to see Bill and then get the exhaust sorted thro the week, i may (time premiting) replace the bottom arm bushes in the morning

i like them alot in a stock kind of way :)

TBH i have been thinking White or Anthrsite (however its spelt lol) but my Calipers are Yellow so a dark wheel will make them stick out more

Maybe we should have a poll?

or can anyone photoshop my wheels a different colours please :)

Ok so there was a group buy on some top mounts in one of the facebook groups, so i took a pop and this is whats arrived

From what i can tell mr Prawn has these on his and he recommended i take a look, i may just may wait till he is down and get him to fit them lol

These look familiar mate.... :lmfao:

Reactions: phil miller
They are awesome, im building up courage to fit them now lol

Seeing Nick do them today its pretty easy really. Undo top mount bolt, take wheel off, drop it down, take out OEM top mount bush, refit with camber mount, bolt up and job done

fit them at a 45 degree angle though. See my RR in my sig for the angle to fit. Got maximum camber on mine I think too

so you throw away the old rubber bit and the stock bearing?

rubber bit goes, top mount bearing you keep. Buy some new bearings as spares, as my drivers side one literally fell apart with ball bearings rolling about everywhere

so by the looks of your pictures on your build thread half the new top mount goes on the underside and the other half on top of the inner wing, is that correct?

Cool beans, im gonna get mine fitted one day this week, its all coming together nicely now

Had a little road trip today with Russ to visit Bill (i love his workshop) had a long chat and an interesting S3 being a teenager lol

I collected part of the plan (tbh ive been trying to get away from the garage for around a month now) and a couple other pick ups on the way back, pics will follow tomorrow :)

so Ron is booked in at RTech for a week wednesday for the final part of mapping now the boost leaks are sorted, N75 replaced and Exhaust is (well its in the boot of my golf lol)

But before i can go i have to replace a fuel pipe i broke today, fit the lower arm front bushes, fit the exhaust and make a mid pipe on res, smoke test the inlet, stop the rocker cover gasket weep, change all the silly spring clips for proper hose clips aswell as doing work that pays, so i can see some long days and even longer nights for the next week or so :)

And fit the *&%$^ and £*" to my car, boy are you going to be busy, only a week to get it all done, no pressure......:)

And fit the *&%$^ and £*" to my car, boy are you going to be busy, only a week to get it all done, no pressure......:)

Thanks Mate, that really helps lol

TBH im not feeling keen on replacing the fuel pipe, the rest of the list is a snip, a couple of hours and it will be done bro

Don't be a big gayer, you'll be fine ;) I've blown my back out so unfortunately you might end up doing most of the work while I make coffee this time :(

Don't forget you've got a Leon to play with on Thursday too :p
Is Ron at home at the mo or at the workshop? Be good to have a proper nose about as haven't really had the chance yet.

Don't forget you've got a Leon to play with on Thursday too :p
Is Ron at home at the mo or at the workshop? Be good to have a proper nose about as haven't really had the chance yet.

Ron will be at the workshop on thursday dude :), i have seen your text but have only just got in from work bro :)

So Tuftys old Miltec needed a new home, on monday me and Russ went up and collected it, so tonight i set about fitting it :)

Now first off i have to say it is not a direct fit, the S3 has different hanger points :( and i had to make up the connecting pipe, i had some 3in stainless (perfect for the job)

Nice one philler.

How does it sound?

Thank you mate :)

well, at idle it sounds just like the stock system, and until around 20 mins ago i thought the same when driving it, but having listened to Rachel driving it up the road it sounds awesome :)

So today Jimmy came round and helped me fit the new fuel pipe, lots of hands needed, nightmare of a job, but its done now, then while i sorted Lukes Leon Jimmy replaced a load of hose clips on Ron, ive always weeped a little coolant over time and its because a spring clip is weak, so im replacing them all :)

Only the bottom arm bushes and rocker cover gasket to get done before wednesday now (oh and a smoke test)

i also noticed that my exhaust grow about 15mm aswell when it gets hot :)

ahh also ive got an EGT sensor to fit, i know one wire goes to term 61 of the ECU but i cant find an easy to follow pin out for the sensor :(

Pin 1- signal.
Pin 2- earth.
Pin 3- +12v

:)

Ok so replacement rocker cover gasket from GSF fitted, 110 miles covered today and (fingers crossed) its cured the leak :)

so that just leaves the bottom arm bushes (they creak and make knocking noises all the time)
Smoke test (just incase)
and to fit the EGT sensor

Then its all ready for RTech on Wednesday :)

today i fitted the EGT sensor all ive gotta do is connect it to the ECU and job done :)

24 hours and i will be getting ready to leave for RTech :)

and also i ordered in a new N75 just incase

some heatshielding round that turbo outlet pipe phil would'nt go amiss.. It looks burnt in the pictures above fella - next stage is Bang when it bursts

some heatshielding round that turbo outlet pipe phil would'nt go amiss.. It looks burnt in the pictures above fella - next stage is Bang when it bursts

Im also curious to know the plan for the egt!

like mine! Felt like I hit a wall on full boost!

Im also curious to know the plan for the egt!

well i got an EGT sensor at a give away price, so i thought why not, but as with everything time ran out :(

I have known for months that my n/s/f front bush had movement so i bought some poly bushes, anyway i didnt do anything till yesterday afternoon, now at this point i should point out it was making horrid noises so i started taking the arms off, and then found out it was just a slack bolt :( :( so i changed them anyway at the expense of wiring in the EGT sensor

Bill the charge pipe has a metal heat shield inbetween the burning is from when it just had the OE heat shield, but im on it :) cant afford anything else to fail on this car Rach hates it as it is and if something goes wrong it will just start her off again :)

Good Luck Phill... :arco:

For anyone who hasnt seen on Facebook Ron made 313BHP and 312 ftlb of torque, to say im pleased is any understatement, not happy with the drive home, sat in traffic isnt my idea of fun thats for sure :(

so how am i finding it, well the throttle is different, its almost like i have full control over the boost, so on the motorway the only time your on boost is if you throttle hard (mpg friendly lol)

i also have a loose Prop bolt, its just slacked off and touching the transfer box a little, so first thing in the morning will be to get in under and tighten it up

19hrs ive been up, traveled 515miles and used lots of V Power, seems like only last month i dropped it off to be mapped and got 290, so for the time being Ron will stay as is, oh wait a minute, it wont, i cant lie, the fun has only just started :)

Reactions: Jay A3, StaceyS3, Rainbird and 1 other person
I stole the keys to Ron while Phil ate dinner and ragged, I mean gentle drove, around my favourite country back roads and it was a whole **** load of fun. Apart from 288mm brakes which going from my brembos scared the pants off of me! I believe Phils changing to LCR's first thing tomorrow.... Ron, ugly duckling but fast as **** ;)

Great results. The DBW throttle change niki makes takes a bit of getting used to doesn't it but like you say, gives you more control.

hell yes, to begin with i hated it, really couldnt get use to it, sat in traffic prob not the best way of getting use to it, but having used Ron today its perfect, around town you can drive normally, totally off boost, but when you nail it in say 3 it takes off, and i cant really explain how it does it but it almost pulls you around when on full chat, if it was Fwd id say torque steer but it cant, i made sure the haldex was connected but as yet havent scanned it, fitting the lower arm polys the day before prob wasnt my best move, as not only have i gotta get use to the power again but also the changes in handling, but they are great problems to have lol

ok so i over slept and didnt fit the brembos this morning :( and im off to Leeds at 2pm tomorrow, so i think sunday evening they will be fitted :)