Monster MotorsportJMB Retrofits
    1st Gear

Status

Manifold wrapping???

Hi all, right quick question for you Lot. Just got a relentless manifold so wanted to know if you lot wrap these or not as I don't want to wrap it if they are prone to cracking! Cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    dont wrap mate dont no much about this but i no not to wrap them ha
    350bhp & 316ftlb BBT new k16 7+7 blade hybrid turbo, Welly cooler, jetex filter, relentless ported v3 manifold 3" downpipe & de-cat, liquid gauge, r32 rear arb, AGU ported and polished Head, 550cc injectors, kw v2 Coilovers, s3dave tie bars & heat sheild, milltek cat back, I.E forged rods, brembos, inline fuel pump, v3 badger 5 tip, devils own WMI kit, AGU pistons, rear grooved discs & brembo pads, ds2500 pads & EBC ultimax disc, stack boost gauge

5th Gear

Status
    Yea i would'nt wrap it,Best to keep the heat out with air geting to it,and it woukd be even harder to fit being wraped.

Audi S3- 1.8T Quattro
    Liquid Yellow
    Audi R8 Rims

Its never finished!

1st Gear

Status
    I'm not fitting it so that's not my problem! lol cheers fellas.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Hummm... not really... one thing that is really overlooked is heat shielding and this manifold gets very hot... heat wrapping will actually keep under bonnet temps lower... realistically no air gets to the back of the engine and due to the position of the relentless manifold the stock S3 heat shielding is inadequate IMO...

Heat wrap the manifold and add extra reflective shielding would be my advice.. the collector on these glow yellow while the rest glows a nice red....

Dyno'd Sam Bryants car over the weekend and the heat coming off the manifold is immense... he has no shielding at all on the Forge 'orange' turbo pipe and its only a matter of time before heat encourages that to split

Do not underestimate the amount of shielding you will need in a turbo engine bay...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

1st Gear

Status
    Cheers tuffty! Do you or bill have any pics off the heat shielding? Also how much would you ad bill charge to map my car? Mods are manifold 3inch dp and de cat, miltek cat back, stage 3 hybrid, sfs tip and jetex filter, 007p, n249 bypass amd stage 2 map and soon a front mount. (what do the standard smic become maxed out at?) .

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Audi S3 freak View Post
    Cheers tuffty! Do you or bill have any pics off the heat shielding? Also how much would you ad bill charge to map my car? Mods are manifold 3inch dp and de cat, miltek cat back, stage 3 hybrid, sfs tip and jetex filter, 007p, n249 bypass amd stage 2 map and soon a front mount. (what do the standard smic become maxed out at?) .
    I have let Bill know about your post... change the SMIC's for a decent front mount before mapping... they are useless on a stage 1 let alone a hybrid... FMIC in the stickies...

No pics of any specific shielding but check out this thread of a BT TT we did a little while ago..
    Build thread PIC HEAVY! :)

Pics further down the thread shows where the shielding goes further up the bulkhead/scuttle...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

6th Gear

Status
    Can I ask out of interest if you know what spec your stage 3 turbo is? as you might be able to shed some light on them. Cheers

5th Gear

Status

Manifold wrapping???

Does anyone know what length of wrap would be needed?
    I'm guessing it's best to wrap the manifold and downpipe to protect all engine bay parts?

2001 S3 (AMK)
    AEM WMI Kit, Black Silicone Hoses, Badger5 TIP with Cone Filter, AH Fabrications FMIC, Relentless Manifold Downpipe & Sport Cat, Miltek Cat Back Exhaust, VAG Aero Wipers, Forge FMDV008 Re-Circ, Revo Stage 2 Remap with SPS+ Tweaks, 2.0 TFSI Coil Pack Mod, B&M Short Shift, RNS-D Retrofit, Brembo & B5 2 Piece Rotor Conversion

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by g60leigh View Post
    Does anyone know what length of wrap would be needed?
    I'm guessing it's best to wrap the manifold and downpipe to protect all engine bay parts?
    Depends how you go about it... considering the shape and awkwardness of it I would say use 1" wide stuff but dunno on length... I used 2" wide stuff on my DP...

<tuffty/>

5th Gear

Status
    Won't this course cracking of the Mani and will eBay wrap do
    350bhp & 316ftlb BBT new k16 7+7 blade hybrid turbo, Welly cooler, jetex filter, relentless ported v3 manifold 3" downpipe & de-cat, liquid gauge, r32 rear arb, AGU ported and polished Head, 550cc injectors, kw v2 Coilovers, s3dave tie bars & heat sheild, milltek cat back, I.E forged rods, brembos, inline fuel pump, v3 badger 5 tip, devils own WMI kit, AGU pistons, rear grooved discs & brembo pads, ds2500 pads & EBC ultimax disc, stack boost gauge

RIP S3dave

Status
    zircotec ceramic coating worth a punt but will cost as much as the manifold
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

1st Gear

Status
    When I eventually buy my manifold I will be getting it ceramic coated. Depending on price, may even get the downpipe done too. Will also be wrapping decat back to the back box, this made a hell of a difference on my old Punto gt, popped, burbled and all sorts, also a noticeable difference in power delivery

5th Gear

Status
    Thats why i made up a titanium heat sheild for mine,keeps heat away from
    turbo elbo,wireing ect,without the bad points of wraping stuff,id make a better sheild than the oem one.

Audi S3- 1.8T Quattro
    Liquid Yellow
    Audi R8 Rims

Its never finished!

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by liquids3 View Post
    Thats why i made up a titanium heat sheild for mine,keeps heat away from
    turbo elbo,wireing ect,without the bad points of wraping stuff,id make a better sheild than the oem one.
    liquid, is it poss to get one of those off you?

RIP S3dave

Status
    a little bewt i did a few years ago.. zircotec ceramic coated

www.badger5.biz

bill@badger5.co.uk

2nd Gear

Status
    That looks sweet....

2nd Gear

Status
    How much do you think It would cost to get my mani done bill?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    I have let Bill know about your post... change the SMIC's for a decent front mount before mapping... they are useless on a stage 1 let alone a hybrid... FMIC in the stickies...

No pics of any specific shielding but check out this thread of a BT TT we did a little while ago..
    Build thread PIC HEAVY! :)

Pics further down the thread shows where the shielding goes further up the bulkhead/scuttle...

<tuffty/>
    I knew you was going to say that! That means so far this month I have had to buy a brand new k04 (last one was scrap) and have it made hybrid, manifold, new wheels (need to buy tyres and adapters) and also a fmic (might go with ah fabs or pro alloy?). This is starting to hurt my bank.....just hope it's worth it!
    cheers again tuffty

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
    a little bewt i did a few years ago.. zircotec ceramic coated

Bill how much would this set me back? I'm sure every time I come on this site it costs me more money! Lol also how much to map my car spec above, cheers

RIP S3dave

Status
    zircotec prices approx £280+vat for a manifold of that size.... best to contact them to confirm
    Zircotec high performance coatings, ceramic coatings, engine, automotive, motorsport, exhaust manifold and header coatings.

regards
    bill

www.badger5.biz

bill@badger5.co.uk

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Zek View Post
    liquid, is it poss to get one of those off you?
    My freind made one for me,works a treat,he works for airbus,so i posted up on asn for interest,no one seemed interested so we did'nt produce any more,another member on asn just bought the template sorry,if there was enough interest we could re make them,but to make one would'nt be worth are while,and the titanium is'nt cheep,if you get some other interest mayby be worth it.

Audi S3- 1.8T Quattro
    Liquid Yellow
    Audi R8 Rims

Its never finished!

2nd Gear

Status
    My freind made one for me,works a treat,he works for airbus,so i posted up on asn for interest,no one seemed interested so we did'nt produce any more,another member on asn just bought the template sorry,if there was enough interest we could re make them,but to make one would'nt be worth are while,and the titanium is'nt cheep,if you get some other interest mayby be worth it.
    will pm you bud

seat leon cupra r owner

Status
    Hot, hot, hot, and hotter

BADGER 5 TUNED gt2871, 360bhp 360ftlb

seat leon cupra r owner

Status
    The relentless turbo and v3 manifold go on this weekend. Im not going to wrap the manifold. I will do some thing like bills setup. Reflective shield covering the mani area and wrap the close hose and wires (sensors) with the insulated heat wraping. Mine has been like this since march and its been ok but i dont recommend it. Its cheaper to prevent. By the way tuffty i got that interior in now over the moon with it.

6th Gear

Status
    Sam what spec is the rentless turbo? Any clues yet to expected bhp...

6th Gear

Status
    Also, and don't know if someone fancies trying it as I've got enough on my plate really.

How about using a 3" or 4" SS mandrel bend, cut to shape to fit over the turbo outlet silicone pipe, wrap the silicone with exhaust heat wrap. Have 2 access holes on the filter side to gain access to the jubilee clips. With the right fabrication it would slot onto the silencer on the charge pipe as well. Maybe a bit fiddly to install but would offer great protection shielding . Just a thought.

5th Gear

Status
    best place to get heat wrap from for the decat and downpipe and will 10m do thanks

seat leon cupra r owner

Status
    Well the spec is, relentless own spec 2283 comp wheel (looks like 2283 but it's cast but told its the same) We will see.
    12psi actuator.
    ported waste gate.
    clipped stock turbine.
    not sure on what it will make power wise. 320 maybe on my setup??? Currently running 290bhp on a k04 108k old. Dyno was done at bills on the weekend.
    Im sure I could make close to 300 if I had a new actuator and we added 550 injectors, sadly I won't find out what the max power on my k04 will make. Boost was capped at 1.4 bar.

The relentless turbo is a test one so test it we shall
    if it's no good then I think I will have the rs6 turbine fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by beachbuggy View Post
    Sam what spec is the rentless turbo? Any clues yet to expected bhp...

3rd Gear

Status
    Anyone in the North West can go to Camcoat in Warrington

I had my Ducati exhaust ceramic coated satin black inside & out . A lot of the other lads have the cerachrome finish so the dont need to keep polishing them

They also coat pistons & alsorts

Performance coatings supplied and applied: ceramic thermal insulation, lubrication, heat loss and anti-corrosion.

RIP S3dave

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
    Anyone in the North West can go to Camcoat in Warrington

I had my Ducati exhaust ceramic coated satin black inside & out . A lot of the other lads have the cerachrome finish so the dont need to keep polishing them

They also coat pistons & alsorts

Performance coatings supplied and applied: ceramic thermal insulation, lubrication, heat loss and anti-corrosion.
    do they warrant their coatings?

www.badger5.biz

bill@badger5.co.uk

6th Gear

Status
    Sam,

Cast 2283 should be good sounds similar to one of the Porsche wheels. Going to say I think a clipped stock k04 will be your down fall! Absolutely no point in clipping a stock turbine!

RIP S3dave

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbuggy View Post
    Sam,

Cast 2283 should be good sounds similar to one of the Porsche wheels. Going to say I think a clipped stock k04 will be your down fall! Absolutely no point in clipping a stock turbine!
    agreed

we shall see in due course when its done I dyno it again

www.badger5.biz

bill@badger5.co.uk

5th Gear

Status

Manifold wrapping???

I have the prototype/template. LiquidS3's mate has told me he is happy for me to reproduce it. I don't have the facilities or time to fab these up but if anyone needs a template made from the prototype just drop me a pm.

2001 S3 (AMK)
    AEM WMI Kit, Black Silicone Hoses, Badger5 TIP with Cone Filter, AH Fabrications FMIC, Relentless Manifold Downpipe & Sport Cat, Miltek Cat Back Exhaust, VAG Aero Wipers, Forge FMDV008 Re-Circ, Revo Stage 2 Remap with SPS+ Tweaks, 2.0 TFSI Coil Pack Mod, B&M Short Shift, RNS-D Retrofit, Brembo & B5 2 Piece Rotor Conversion

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by g60leigh View Post
    I have the prototype/template. LiquidS3's mate has told me he is happy for me to reproduce it. I don't have the facilities or time to fab these up but if anyone needs a template made from the prototype just drop me a pm.
    Glad you received it ok,i am going to make up another batch of these within a week two weeks now anyway,ready bent to shape,i was'nt going to bother,but with the increased amount of xs manifolds being sold,there is a market for these now,so within a week or so,i will post up a thread on these sheilds with pics ect.thanks adam.

Audi S3- 1.8T Quattro
    Liquid Yellow
    Audi R8 Rims

Its never finished!

seat leon cupra r owner

Status
    Glad you received it ok,i am going to make up another batch of these within a week two weeks now anyway,ready bent to shape,i was'nt going to bother,but with the increased amount of xs manifolds being sold,there is a market for these now,so within a week or so,i will post up a thread on these sheilds with pics ect.thanks adam.
    adam i want one, yours looks good

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sambryant View Post
    adam i want one, yours looks good
    Thanks mate,i will make you one up.

Audi S3- 1.8T Quattro
    Liquid Yellow
    Audi R8 Rims

Its never finished!

5th Gear

Status

Manifold wrapping???

I've decided to not wrap the manifold and just go with the heat shielding. Have wrapped re downpipe though to try and aid keeping temps down.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350164401.785932.jpg

2001 S3 (AMK)