cam chain tensioner how to

harvey01

Reaction score
hi all i cant seem to find the how to on replaceing it ?

Oww I think I need to replace my cam chain tensioner it sounds like the ticking/clicking is coming from thr have you had this problem? Is it a common problem my cars done 111k don't think it's ever been changed ... timing belt and pulley tensioner are fine hydrolix tappets are fine checked them and the ticking is constant through rev range. Must b the the cam tensioner ???

i replaced mine the other day changed the cambelt and waterpump at same time.
Basically i took cambelt off, then undone all the torq bolts holding the camshafts in place and the ones holding the chain tensioner. My tensioner was so worn that with small amounts of force with a screw driver i pulled the camshafts out with the tensioner and chain as one piece.

If u have autodata it then shows you how the chain should line up with the camshafts have to get that bit spot on. fitted it all in again together checking the chain was still timed up correctly then just took off the tool holding the pads away from chain which then tensioned it

You only need to remove the inlet cam to get the tensioner out...

<tuffty/>

so ive started my cam chain but ive noticed when i was turning the engine over to find tdc my tensioner hissis could this be a seal on it im going to fit the new one anyway but could this have been my problem ?

The hiss is compression being released from the engine... its normal

<tuffty/>

its not that mate ive got no plugs in and it only comes from the tensioner side . it dosent seem to drop back like some ive seen

...in that case it will be the oil pressure in the tensioner itself I suspect... plausibly your issue... can't remember off hand from the last one I did...

<tuffty/>

hi all well the tensioner is fitted quite easy but one thing i would say is the screews that hold the cam caps pull a small amount of ally when you take them out and if you dont notice it will go under the cam cap ! it looked like the tensioner was fine but the gasket under it was letting by so there was'nt the pressure to keep it working at low rpm