Help brake problem at Westys and stuck

rhubarb4

Certified Audi nutter
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
eff122e8a76c002c118db71821422468.jpg

This is the problem stripped the calipers off and on fitting the new ones the nipple won't screw on to the existing pipes is there anything I'm missing to connect them up

Cheers, Chris.

Yes the one on the right is attached to the Porsche caliper Neil can't get it to thread to the existing like its too small, 11mm spanner fits both the original caliper and the new Porsche one

As in spanner on the nut on the brake lines on the caliper side

in the picture the hardline is still attached to the old line.. so his has been undone yea, and wont screw into the porka line..?
do i understand correctly?

if you have any vernier calipers, measure both female parts to compare the internal diameters...

M10x1 female union I have here measure 9mm inside diameter

Cheers for the reply Bill unfortunately no vernier calipers is there another way to measure, yeah we have undone the lines both sides but the hard line won't screw inside the nut on the caliper almost like there the same size was wondering if there is supposed to be some kind of adaptor. Neil has took some photos of his and will post up to compare.

Bill, mine look like this:

0DE909A5-333F-43F8-B140-3AB45C41D5BC-749-0000003FC5A53A60.jpg

These are a set of your lines. It has that middle section that Chris doesn't have. I've got a feeling the guy who sold him the brakes has not sent him this piece.

you have'nt used the spring clips supplied...

there is no middle section.. thats one piece crimped onto the flex line.

The fitment of the hose should go thru the bracket on the car, squeazed in a little to close up its diameter to stop the female fitting from pulling thru and use the spring clip provided on the top nut...

the fitting is m10x1 and measures 9mm ID with calipers, so the hoses on the porka brakes are wrong diameter or wrong thread if the male union on the car wont screw in

Do you have an adapter to fit the Porsche lines from the caliper to the hard line of the car

This is what I have bill to fit to the standard hard line on the car

36463dde80c9f737240143206f71b230.jpg

Cheers, Chris.

you know what my lines look like westie... you have some.
i dont know what you mean by middle piece i'm afraid.. there is no middle piece..

from caliper (my hoses) there's a male-male union, then 90' elbow crimped onto the line, and crimped at the other end of the line is the m10x1 female union.

their female union must be some other thread is all I can guess

yup, this 'middle bit' is confusing me too Westy, on your picture of your setup, there are only two parts, no middle bit at all!

Looks to me like they might be the standard porsche lines you have

By middle part I mean the bit in my pic above. That is a pic of my line. See how in Chris' pics he doesn't have that part, only the male part on the OEM hard line and the female on the calliper line.

I think Chris is going to go visit creation Motorsport in the week as they're near him and he'll check what their lines are like.

yup, this 'middle bit' is confusing me too Westy, on your picture of your setup, there are only two parts, no middle bit at all!

Looks to me like they might be the standard porsche lines you have

I'll jump on ms paint in a bit and highlight what I mean by "the middle bit". All the stuff Chris has came off another S3 so I think the seller has missed something.

Just had another look at my pic and I can see that the middle bit is actuall a longer threaded sleeve onto the nut part. My terminology sucks balls!

Anyway it appears that something is't right and the female part on Chris' lines is too small.

very odd. there are only 2 parts on yours, and only 2 parts required. Something's up though, as the female part on the new line doesn't look deep enough to me, so perhaps they're some form of dodgy custom line that had an adapter in the middle originally
:S

Right these are some I just found that are Vag to Porsche brake lines by HEL they look way different to mine which means they must have been adapted somehow and the adapted bits left on the car.

Here's a photo what do you think.

4f1598b73d47dKGrHqYOKkIE4hZTFGkQBOT-U8BYW48_12.jpg

Westy, your lines look like the hel ones posted above. I think what prawn is trying to say is that there should only be your line coming out of the brake caliper, that would the screw into your original line. The bit you are classing as the 'middle bit' is an extended thread

HEL lines are awesome build quality if you don't get a set from Bill. They're stainless too, which I'd go for what with the roads being salted back in blighty.

IMG00102-20120126-1654.jpg

this is the end of the hose that bill sells (for LCR Brembo - dont know if they are different to what you need for the porsche)

and caliper side below

IMG00103-20120126-1656.jpg

Oh, cool. Well like I say, the HEL lines seem really well made. I've yet to fit mine but the ones I got direct (HEL are Australian) use a banjo fitting on the caliper end and have a different end for the mount on the inner wing:

hel2.JPG

calipers.jpg

those bulkhead fittings I have on other hoses I do, BUT, in my experience, vag dont have consistent use of the brackets, and the diameter of the fittings "sometimes" wont fit.

Great pics Alex nice one there the ones I'm after. Sam the ones you have are the same as the ones I have but only at the caliper end, god knows what kind of adaptor the guy I got them from had to fix to his S3.

I just popped to Creation Motorsport they have a set of stainless HEL lines for £50 tuffty gave me a rough price on Bills so I'm going to give him a ring and get a definite price when I get chance to nip out. I tried this morning with a 10mm stud no chance looks like it may be a 9mm thread or maybe an imperial thread rather than metric.

These things are made to try us, the joy of modding cars eh.

Chris.

Great pics Alex nice one there the ones I'm after. Sam the ones you have are the same as the ones I have but only at the caliper end, god knows what kind of adaptor the guy I got them from had to fix to his S3.

I just popped to Creation Motorsport they have a set of stainless HEL lines for £50 tuffty gave me a rough price on Bills so I'm going to give him a ring and get a definite price when I get chance to nip out. I tried this morning with a 10mm stud no chance looks like it may be a 9mm thread or maybe an imperial thread rather than metric.

These things are made to try us, the joy of modding cars eh.

Chris.

I'm glad I wasn't going mad mate!

I hate this kind of stuff, I've attempted to fit my brakes twice already and come up against problems. First the wheels weren't ever going to clear the calipers so I bought bigger adapters. Then the caliper adapters/carriers fouled part of the hub so I have to grind it back but didn't have power. Third time lucky. My brakes are shagged so really need to get them sorted.

Hopefully these lines sort your issues.