any reason why this wouldnt work? boost leak test

karl210

Reaction score
I do enjoy a good bodge from time to time and as im a tight **** untill pay day and im taking a certain hot girl for a spin tonight i need to impress :racer:
So thought i would check for a boost leak, ive bunged up the tip with a bean can, bunged up the pipe that went from the tip to the upper pcv valve jobby, and ive disconnected the wastegate from the n75, and ive plummed my footpump into the n75. I cant see any reasons why this wouldnt work but upon testing when i pump it more or less all comes out of somewhere round the turbo and none of it is making it to the throttle body, is this just plain stupid and not working or am i an absoloute genious with a boost leak?

Anyone? I keep trying but I cant feel air escapung anywhere but I can hear that its coming from the turbo, could this suggest cracked housing

sound idea in principle but I doubt its a cracked housing... I would just man up and get a smoke test if you have reason to believe you have a leak you can't find...

Save you money and heartache in the long run...

<tuffty/>

that would be the easier option but if i can save money i will and while ive got a nice day to tinker on the car i may aswell give it a go and if it doesnt work i will take it for a smoke test, but its not even letting me put 5 psi in the system!
determined to find this leak! how much is a smoke test roughly out of curiosity?

because ive played with the acyuator in the past i want to set it right again so ive already loosened both nuts so the wastegate moves freely on the actuator arm, how do i set this right, so i push the w/g closed and give it 2 turns of preload?
not sure if it makes any difference but its an amk with oettinger map, thanks

Saw a post by westy earlier this week and he put a video up that said you set it so that you can just fit the arm of the actuator onto the wastegate. then give it 3 full turns to set the pre load.

cheers mate, i had feeling it was 2 or 3 turns, i did just under 3. While doing all this today i cleaned my maf and put it all back togeather and it wouldnt idle so i unplugged the maf and it runs fine, guess ive nackered it by cleaning it somehow. A good excuse to get a new one i suppose! But the car now running with the maf unplugged is absoloutly no different than before i touched anything so it must of been on its way out.