AEB Head - stk cams or S3 cams

Scullies

Reaction score
Hi Guys

As above, should I use the stock AEB cams or should I transfer the cams from my S3. This is temporary as the courier has lost my cat intake cam :(

Are there any differences between camshafts on the 1.8t 20v heads?

I transferred my S3 cams into the AEB head only because I knew the history of my cams over the AEB ones. Apart from that there should be no difference.

You will also need to transfer over your VVT unit if you have one as AEB heads don't.

You can't use the pully from an AEB head as the inline setup is different... you will need the cam position wheel from the S3 if yours is an AMK/BAM as VVT is 4 window rather than non VVT 2 window

<tuffty/>

Thanks for the wise words guys :icon_thumright:

i changed my apy head for a aeb head, asked audi and they checked the part numbers out and both the cam are identical part numbers. the only part i did change was the cam pully and the sensor cap thing.

So I finally got some cat cams to go with the AEB head.
I remember Tuffy mentioned that I will need to use the VVT from my S3 engine. What would happen if I didnt use the VVT? Is it possible or will it cause issues with the ECU ?

If you wanted you can code out the VVT but i don't see the point if you have then keep.

You can run without the VVT but a error code would come up

the aeb head that I got came with a brand new cam chain tensioner and thought it might be better to use it rather than the used VVT,
but I dont want to have error codes.

You can't use the pully from an AEB head as the inline setup is different... you will need the cam position wheel from the S3 if yours is an AMK/BAM as VVT is 4 window rather than non VVT 2 window

<tuffty/>

Tuffty do you know if the cam wheel on an ARY is the same as an AGU?