tint heat reduction

MickA3

Reaction score
Does anyone know if window tints can reduce the sun's heating effect in the car- I was told they can make a big difference- is this true? My black leather is trying to cook me....

If anything they'll increase it. Black as a colour attracts heat.

EDIT : I wanna change my mind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Sunlight, in the form of short wave solar radiation, exhibits a transformation from solar energy to heat energy when impacting a material (absorption). The temperatures of a white surface and a black surface exposed the same direct sunlight is a simple demonstration of this conversion. The temperature of the black surface is higher because it is absorbing more solar energy. As solar energy is absorbed at the surface of a material it stimulates movement of the molecules in the material. Molecular movement is measured in terms of heat – the greater the movement, the greater the heat. Since the color black absorbs more of the spectrum than the color white, it will in turn be hotter (more molecular excitement) than white.

[/ QUOTE ]

So in essence the tint will absorb the ray instead of letting it pass through into the car.

I just took this off a tinting website
"Depending on your selection of tint, up to 65% of the Sun's total energy can be reflected away from your vehicle. If your vehicle is fitted with air-conditioning this should provide savings on your fuel and running costs. Not only that but tinting can reduce interior fading and help maintain the value of your vehicle."

More info:
Increased Privacy
Window tinting provides you with improved privacy depending on your selected shade of tint. However please bear in mind the current UK law which states:

"The front passenger and driver side window can only be tinted no less than 70%. Rear windows can be treated in any shade of tint. Windscreens must be clear from tinting apart from a 6" strip across the top."

Safety
In the event of a broken window, tinting film protects the occupants of the vehicle from flying glass by holding shattered glass in place. All our tints provide you with this protection. Furthermore, all our tints offer 98% UV light rejection.

Sound ok MickA3 I got a quote in Cork a few months back and it was for €260 for the whole car excluding the front.

I'm still not sure on what the Irish Law is with regard to tints. I've seen loads of cars with them but cannot find anything on the government site about it. I asked my brother (he's a cop in Dublin) and he asked some Sgt from the traffic Corps and he says that as long as there are two ways to see behind you without any obstruction (i.e. tints) then it's legal. A clear view and a slightly tinted view are not the same according to them and also he said that it is up to the cop that stops you rather than anything written in the Law books.

Legal or not I have no clue on what's accepted or not.

NecroEire: Cheers for the info- I think i'm gona go for it....next question is: with 35% all round or 35% rears with 50% front....?

Looking at the cars on the VisionFx site there is a big difference.

The S-Class looks good with 35%, the Integra looks good too with 20% apart from the graphics, the Prelude also looks good with 20%, the Cherokee also is good with 35% but I'm not sure about the Land Cruiser as it also has 35% but yu can see right through from one side to the other.

Don't go for the silver like the 206 as it looks dreadful imo.

Yeah that silver job on the 206 is cr*p...... still, not as bad as those two tone tints everybody seems to be buying lately .....

I've just tinted my Passat Estate for £200, went for lightest tint for the fronts and slightly darker for the rears so looks like a van now lol, but definitely keeps things cooler for Jojo junior /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Any pics jojo?

Been thinking of doing it for a while too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take some when the weather clears up a bit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Finally.....

32376-tinted750.jpg