Still chasing a front left knocking / squeeking - also front seat removal

Squirrelofdoom

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So, quick question first. My front passenger seat rattles. I can see the bolt that has sheared, yet no way to get to it with the seat in the car, so want to take it out. It's the electric recaro with airbag but no heating. Can't find a guide for how to remove the seat. I had a go but failed, and ELSAwin just basically says "take it out" lol. Any help appreciated.

Second (and much more annoying) question is this. I've had a knocking noise from the front left for months now and I've been chasing it around. The symptoms are: it only happens under braking (maybe a barely audible squeeking under normal driving, but very hard to hear above engine/road noise etc); when braking at high speed I get a squeeking noise at the same RPM as the wheel is spinning; once I get down to lower speeds it turns into a more heavy knocking/squelching noise and I can feel it through the brake pedal; braking heavily doesn't feel nice but I don't get any squeeks.

So, I think something is moving around under braking. Here is the list of what I have done so far to try and eliminate the noise. When I've done all of this, the car feels a little better (sometimes the squeeking goes away) for maybe a few miles, then it returns to normal.

1) Switched wheels around - squeeking still coming from same place
2) Switched discs around and checked discs for warping - squeeking still coming from same place
3) Took apart both sides calipers, checked brake pads, re-greased everything - squeeking still coming from same place
4) Replaced all front wishbone bushes with PU Powerflex - car felt better, but still squeeking
5) Replaced top mounts - same
6) Replaced front left Hub - same
7) Replaced front left wheel bearing - same
8) Replaced front left driveshaft (gaiter was split for months anyway) - same
9) Replaced ball joints for Lemforder units - almost felt worse at first, but then settled back down to normal
10) Replaced front ARB bushes for PU Powerflex - car felt better for a few miles, then back to normal

Things I have left to do

1) Replace droplinks
2) Replace top mount bearings (didn't realize these existed so didn't change them while doing top mounts before)
3) Replace track rods
4) Replace entire shock?
5) Bleed brakes??
6) Bleed master cylinder??
7) Check master cylinder for movement??
8) Check gearbox mounts?? Perhaps the whole gbox is swinging on one side and moving the driveshaft around?

Sooooo, yeah i'm getting to the point where I've almost replaced all the suspension components on the front left!! Any ideas guys? Getting properly frustrating :S Really want to get this sorted so I can move on to catch can install and turbo seals replacement

Cheers,
Aran

From memory, the seat is on sliders and the bolts will be in the sliders.. Slide the seat back, remove the front first then slide it forward to take the rear bolts out.. Then tilt back and undo connections.. I think.. Need to check with mine first but I'm at work.. I fit seats for a living lol

Thanks Gops, looks like you're the man to ask! I tried undoing the 4 bolts on the sliders - front's first, then sliding forward to get to the rears. Took those 4 off, then looked underneath at the connections and the harness was all hidden underneath another plate which seems to have been bolted from the underside?! Also I couldn't get the seatbelt connector out from the central tunnel bit :S

quick little update. These are my front pads. I imagine the squeeking i'm hearing is pad related, but both sets look ok to me; didn't notice any high spots that would squeek (squeeking only occurs under light braking, implying that there is a high spot). What worries me most is the knocking and the feedback I get through the brake pedal

Attachments

• IMAG0556.jpg
    IMAG0556.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 120
  • IMAG0558.jpg
    IMAG0558.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 117
As GOPS said, Remove two front center bolts. Should be under a plastic cover. Remove the plastic covers on the rear bolts. Outside one has a screw under a cover cap. Undo the bolts. The chair will tilt back pretty easy. Before removing the connection plugs, remove the battery cables, this will avoid the air bag exploding. You will also need to clear the airbag dash light once the seat is fitted back.
After removing the connection plugs you can wriggle the seat backwards and pull it out. It does get caught on the carpet when you pulling it backwards. The seats are heavy and its best to get someone to help out.
Think I pulled a fat when I removed my seats :ohmy: