Anyone have experience of Goodyear eagle f1 GSD3's uneven tyre wear noise s3?

S3lvo

Reaction score
Hi all,

Getting a rumble noise, rotational kind of wump wump wump noticable on smooth surfaces and more noticable at lower speed, seems to disappear more at high speed.

When i bought the car it had these tyres on and still does. Plenty of tread left.

Ive read on other forums that these tyres have a habit of wearing unevenly and creating similar noises on Leon cupras, golfs etc and wondered if anyone had experience of this on their s3/a3? My initial concern was a wheel bearing, plus I have vagcom code for rear left abs sensor malfunction which I know can be related to a bearing problem. But after jacking up there's no play on any of my wheels, and the noise doesn't get worse under load etc so I'm now leaning more towards tyres.

Would appreciate/be relieved to hear of similar experiences.

Many thanks,

Matt

P.s. have changed tyres back to front, noise still exists but could have changed where it's coming from... Really hard to tell. Also have had problems with valves in these tyres, had two replaces, one still leaks!

Last edited:
ive got eagle F1's on the front mine and the passanger side is quite noisey im not sure if its the wheel bearing tho :/

They're good tyres but I found they wore out quite quickly. Not great in the winter as the tread pattern doesn't cut into snow to well. Great summer tyre, but Assumetric is better all rounder, as is Hankook Ventus.

IMO they'll only wear unevenly if theres something wrong with the geometry.

My car has F1 Asymmetric 2's on and its done 10k so far with no abnormal wear. The missus had a set of the same on the rear of her car and they got chewed to bits because there was about a degree of toe in on the rear end.

Fixed the geometry and fitted a new set all round, and its been fine so far.

Thanks all, colly, is yours worse when you turn, mine seems worse on straight which seems more tyre related.

Aragorn, are you talking about all asymmetrics? Mine are the gsd3's, the older rotational ones which I've read can wear funny and create these noises.

yeah mine are worse which made me think its a bearing just havent had a chance to change them yet tho. mine dont look to have worn unevenly the sound is like the tyre touching plastic making a buzzing noise (it isnt touching out tho ive checked a few times).

My mate has thought he needed a wheel bearing for months, until i suggested rotating his tyres.

Funnily enough the bearing noise has jumped wheels, on further inspection it is a dodgy tyre, exact same make and age on the other side, but one is noisy the other silent.

This could be due to a dodgy repair been done in the past, a manufacturer default (not heard of much these days) or as Aragon has already said camber / toe incorrect.

Thanks mate, sounds like yours is poss more bearing, but who knows, they can make all kinds of noises! Hope it's something simply for you.

Matt

I'm talking in general.

I had a pair of GSD3's on my old A4 that wore egg shaped and caused horrible vibrations, but it was nothing to do with the tyres, it was caused by knackered suspension balljoints.

A tyre cant just wear oddly, it has to be caused by a suspension geometry issue.

I'm running GoodYear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's and they were quite noisy/bumpy until I got a 4 Wheel Alignment done and the wheels balanced.

Thanks ruffrida, interesting!

Thanks also aragorn, do agree with you will get my alignment etc checked out. If you google probs with these tyres though you will see some similar issues with other cars, even brand new ones.... Seemed to be a problem with some of them hence why I'm looking for s3 experience!

Reactions: ruffrida
I got rid of them off my previous c70 as the noise was unbearable.
Never again.

Google goodyear noisy tires or similar. They've had lots of complaints of late for noisy tyres! Sounds like a knackered wheel bearing, but it's infact the tyes!!

Its a known issue mate, I had them on mine, even had Jojo in the car and he said it sounded like the bearings too, it was in fact the tyres!!

There are quite a few fakes about, so it could be that you have a set of fakes on the car, I believe the ones that had a problem were the ones made in Thailand.

Mine lasted a very long time, however the noise can be very annoying and the wear can be very random.

Google it, theres loads of people complaining about them.

voted tyre of the year numerous times, it's the car, not the tyres ! bushes control arms etc etc all need changing on a 10 year old car, but most people never bother

get your tracking done, may help, but do not bother with a cheap £25 job, get a proper £100 job done

Yes, I have had this before and can think of atleast 3, other cases where friends ( in S3's and TT's) experienced increased road noise and wheel bearing failing type noises with GY Eagle F1's.

I tried them because they were getting rave reviews, and were significantly cheaper than my usual choice.

I had mine removed, whilst still legal, they had even wear, were correctly inflated, but had still developed a weird central bead/ridge on the centre of axis. I had the sent back to GY for anaylis, yet recieved a letter back for each, "within manufacturing tolerances"

Sorry thats not good enough. I will not purchase GY again.

This was on a low mileage car, 3 or 4 years old, ( I cant remember exactly, but it was around an MOT, so atleast 3 years) regularly maintained, regularly checked for 4x4 alignment ,that did not require bushes/suspension components. I had even checked that a wheel was not buckled/correctly balanced.

I kept that car 9 years+ in total, and did not have the issue reoccur when running Michelins.

Change the tyres!

Thanks all, I have googled, the GSD3's definitely do seem to have an issue particularly on VAG cars, the new asymmetrical ones seem to be miles better but ill be moving onto something else I think! I called a guy at a reputable tyre centre with hunter technology and he said the chassis on the 99 on s3 and golfs etc have a habit of running hard on the inside of the rears after a while.

Conclusion with your help is that I'm going to get a proper 4 wheel laser alignment done followed by some shiny new boots.

Will repot back once all done to let you know if it definitely was tyres etc.

Cheers again

Matt

Hi all,

Update as promised. 4 wheel laser alignment done - apparently can only adjust the fronts, so had those done, rear left has slightly too much camber, but apparently can't adjust - don't know if anyone knows about this and if that really is the case?

The adjustments made definitely helped, but there was still noise there. Ultimately, replaced alll four tyres with Brand new Dunlop SP01's that I got for a really good price and the noise has completely disappeared! Drove back down the M1 from Hull to London and it was like a magic carpet! So quiet and smooth.

Done some hard driving on these tyres and so far they feel absolutely brilliant, really grippy and combined with the wheel adjustments it feels like a much newer car, a huge improvement.

Thanks again for help and advice. Not a cheap solution, but a very satisfactory one. Can safely say that the old Eagle F1's - GDS3 model DO NOT wear very well!

Cheers,

Matt

The negative comments are surprising because mine are fairly quiet, however I have only recently gone through the trouble of replacing the, bushes suspension, joints, roll bars etc etc and to a point it feels like a new car.

Hello, i'm new here. I have bought a 2011 Audi A4 2.0 TFSI. Coming from BMW i loved the A4 when i test drive it. It had Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2 which where a litlle noisy. I thought ot was because the tyres were old DOT 11/14. So i change those and stupidly i bought the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 3 as i was misleded that the 2's were the factory tyres. The noise is worst and very annoing. First i was dissapointed with the car because i couldn't believe that a great tyre manufacturer could make such a crapy tyre. I thought Audi's are rubbish. Then i started searhing the internet and found out that these tyres are noisy. Its like when you bounce a basket ball but all the time. On raugh surface is very loud. On different surfaces the noise sounds different which is a proof that there is no problem with wheel bearing. I hope i helped a little bit with my experience.