Is this right ?

BD's S3

Reaction score
Ive decided to take my ko4 off my s3 myself as the mechanics i no are to busy, its got to be sent back to cr turbo after last time having it changed to stage 4 hybrid and the EGT sensor does not fit back in the housing. I am a begginner mechanic and only no very basics from what i read on here, ive also bought a relentless V3 mani to put on at the same time and fmic. Ive just got the oem mani off and i found the gasket had an oil'ly residue on it and there was a more substantial build up of what i think is carbon on the end 'hole'. Is this right ? should there be this deposit amount there ? the car has been smoking alot recently and running pretty crap, didnt think the smoke was from turbo as it has only been on the car a month or so, any suggestions ? these pictures were taken a couple minutes after taking the manifold off. before i put the new one on just want to know if there is something else behind this that needs to be sorted

Attachments

• 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 174
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 157
cant answer your question mate.
but well done with getting the mani off.
did you take off the manni with the head still on?
if so how long did it take?
only asking cause im fitting a xs manni and downpipe this weekend

well i had the turbo off last night and the started the mani this mornin at bout ten till bout half hour before my first post, not a pleasant job helped with turbo being off and heat sheilding behind it for extra space

Oil is most likely from a leaking cam cover gasket... common issue... replace the cam cover gasket and the half moon/cam chain tensioner gasket too

<tuffty/>

I was hoping you was going to give me the answer tufty, the man who answers all questions, thats better than i previously thought because i spoke to a couple people i know and they both said possible valve stems and piston rings, i had a look on the head where the gasket sits and couldnt really see much oil other than where the gasket had been, do you think this could be causing it to smoke as much as it is then ? do you have an idea of roughly how much they are and where the best place to get them from is ? also whilst im here if i get bosch 550cc ev6 injectors do i need the ev6 to 1 adaptors or is it a straight swap ? thanks

Humm... normally if the stem seals are leaking you should see the exhaust ports damp with oil... still worth a look as tbh its not unheard of but I would say that the oil on the mani is defo the cam cover gasket... plausible that the oil could be leaking past the exhaust gasket as the engine cools and this could be contributing to the build up you are seeing...

Where is the smoking coming from? the actual exhaust? or just off the back of the engine/turbo?

Cam cover gaskets are available from GSF, TPS, Dealers or eBay... roughly 16-20 quid... cam chain tensioner and half moon gasket about a fiver... don't use the supplied gaskets for the relentless stuff its ****e... get OEM gaskets for the head/manifold, manifold/turbo and turbo/DP

On the 550's you will need the adaptors... Bill stocks the injectors and the adaptors

<tuffty/>

It smokes out the exhaust wether the engines cold or warm and mainly when im pulling off from lights and reversing it leaves clouds of smoke behind, i will try get the gaskets tomorrow and get them changed and hopefully when the cars back together with EGT sensor back in and fmic etc it will sort the smoking problem out, thanks for advice, if i have any more problems with it ill be posting again !

Thats either the turbo seals or rings really... if its stem seals then it smokes more as you have let off the throttle and plant it... you get a puff out the back... constant oil is rings/turbo as a rule...

<tuffty/>

ok thanks, the turbo went back off to CR today so will see what they say come monday as ive asked them to check the seals because of the smoke, weird that they should go ive only had it back on about a month and done around 1000 miles since, if they say they're fine then ill have to get the car back toghether and see if it begins to do it again and then think of replacing piston rings etc, will be doin rods towards end of year beginning of next anyways so will probably change evrything then if problem persists, one last question, what could happen worst case scenario ' if ' it is rings and i continue to drive with them ' if ' they are on there way out ?