Volks AutosAH Fabrications
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5th Gear

Status

turbo turned up today

got my turbo back today after i sent it to cr and craig rang me few days ago explaining that the bearing was warm and had crack in the hot side so he fix the problems thats so much and it looks new again hot side dont look ryt whats your thoughts thanks.

350bhp & 316ftlb BBT new k16 7+7 blade hybrid turbo, Welly cooler, jetex filter, relentless ported v3 manifold 3" downpipe & de-cat, liquid gauge, r32 rear arb, AGU ported and polished Head, 550cc injectors, kw v2 Coilovers, s3dave tie bars & heat sheild, milltek cat back, I.E forged rods, brembos, inline fuel pump, v3 badger 5 tip, devils own WMI kit, AGU pistons, rear grooved discs & brembo pads, ds2500 pads & EBC ultimax disc, stack boost gauge

2. # ADS
    ADS

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Is it a hybrid?

Its got a cut back turbine wheel, and a bored out wastegate so i assume so?

What do you think is wrong with it?

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

6th Gear

Status
    It looks like a copy turbine housing with helicoils fitted.

Just to clarify not saying anything wrong with it but it's not an original by the looks of it

5th Gear

Status
    that was my imprestion dan u think it will be ok got a years warranty with it.

the helicoils ok or best putting the normal inserts in pal and does it look like a hybrid thats what i sent hope its what theyve sent back
    350bhp & 316ftlb BBT new k16 7+7 blade hybrid turbo, Welly cooler, jetex filter, relentless ported v3 manifold 3" downpipe & de-cat, liquid gauge, r32 rear arb, AGU ported and polished Head, 550cc injectors, kw v2 Coilovers, s3dave tie bars & heat sheild, milltek cat back, I.E forged rods, brembos, inline fuel pump, v3 badger 5 tip, devils own WMI kit, AGU pistons, rear grooved discs & brembo pads, ds2500 pads & EBC ultimax disc, stack boost gauge

5th Gear

Status
    do the spec of stuff look ok I.E clipped and ported and so on

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Is that a 2283 wheel? can't tell if its billet or not from the picture...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

5th Gear

Status
    Should be same mate told them not to change owt is there away u can tell pic or by eye tuffty

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    Thats not a billet wheel that i can see?
    RIP S3dave/David Marshall stickers now available
    FOR SALE
    Sparco Torino 2 sport seats, None resonated Milltek exhaust, Blue Haldex controller
    Adjustable FPR from 1-5 bar, 2 sets of Unused ARP 3/8 2000 rod bolts, relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    Interesting, copy housing that's been drilled and had helicoils fitted? Could this be down to forums saying 'look for inserts' all the time so they're trying to catch us out? why else would they fit helicoils into a brand new housing....

Comp wheel doesn't look billet either to me.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

Let's Do This

Status
    It's an ETT wheel. No, it's not billet, but that's beside the point. My guess is that it's a 2277-series wheel. The machining to the OEM housing looks minimal.

5th Gear

Status
    well ill be in contact monday and get them to replace the lot not happy robbing t...ts pay £730 for a hybrid to last year and half then say they will fix it and comes back totaly different copy housing and ****ter wheel no thanks im very mad

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    What stage turbo is it?

only a Stage 3 CR Turbo comes with a billet wheel
    FOR SALE
    Sparco Torino 2 sport seats, None resonated Milltek exhaust, Blue Haldex controller
    Adjustable FPR from 1-5 bar, 2 sets of Unused ARP 3/8 2000 rod bolts, relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

5th Gear

Status
    they told me it was the top spec andrew carnt get better and i said i dont want a chiness copy but they give me one how **** is that

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status

turbo turned up today

Why are people still using CR turbos?! I've seen so many on this forum that are inconsistent and troublesome and yet people still use them! There's other companies out there that can do the work too.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    In fairness... CR typically use 'aftermarket' housings to replace the normally 'shagged' hotsides as to get a proper borg warner housing they normally have to buy a complete new turbo as the housings aren't easily available on their own

The hotside is not a major issue but if you specced for a billet wheel and not got it then that could be... not like CR to do a switch on purpose though... I'd give them a ring to verify the spec in the first instance...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

5th Gear

Status
    I will do tuffty thanks iv got emails from Craig saying its a billet whell or was ha and the total spec and to not recieve that back is really bad

6th Gear

Status
    That is a 2283 billet wheel, I would stick my neck out and say the shot blasted it to clean it, taking off the shine hence why it don't look billet, a common practice by all accounts from a friend in thè industry. Just from the picture I'm sure it's the 2283 billet wheel.

5th Gear

Status
    Thanks so much dan all look sand blasted to be fair but one thing is the inlet blade look very Skiny to me and Dave.

Iv got pics of the wastage as I opened it up look very big ported about 1" wide more would that be a problem I'll post pics soon as

5th Gear

Status
    pic of the wastgate

another of the hotside blade and inlet

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    I can see the machining marks in teh last pic of the comp wheel... its a billet...

Wastegate looks fine... all looks good mate... get it fitted

<tuffty/>

6th Gear

Status

One on the right in this picture is the same 2283 compressor.

Yours looks fine, I'll put a fiver on its the right compressor.

Have to agree with tuffty, providing they have sorted out previous issues with the hot sides there should be no reason why it's not any good. My only concern is that even a hair line crack is ok on a housing providing it doesn't affect the internals, normally these have gone through 1000s of heat cycles and are pretty solid , where as a new housing is an unknown , yours being new could equally crack or fail, there's no guarantee!

I am very surprised that cr turbos haven't invested in larger scroll housings, can't cost any more to manufacture and potentially could prove more BHP and less likely hood of surge thus negating the need of clipping the wheel, it's still a bloody big hack in my mind but there we go!

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbuggy View Post
    I am very surprised that cr turbos haven't invested in larger scroll housings, can't cost any more to manufacture and potentially could prove more BHP and less likely hood of surge thus negating the need of clipping the wheel, it's still a bloody big hack in my mind but there we go!
    get on it dan!

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    get on it dan!
    I'm working on it!

RIP S3dave

Status
    the turbine wheel clearance looks large... wonder what size feeler gauge would slide in there..
    makes for a slippy wheel, more so given its clipped as well
    stock clearance being 0.4mm as a guage
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

Check out the ever Growing eBay Shop>
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Badger-5-LTD?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

5th Gear

Status
    Thanks dan and hope this one lasts.

Tuffty soz for the dislike bloody iPhone pig to use.

Bill ye there is I lot of space around the whell on the hot side ported too much this course any problems pal

Let's Do This

Status
    OP

Send the turbo back. If you paid for a 2283 compressor wheel, they did not deliver the turbo properly. I still believe it is an under-specced wheel. Probably 2277. Maybe 2280. For a 2283 wheel to be incorporated into an OEM K04 compressor housing, the inlet walls need to be machined to a near paper-thin dimension. The outside dimension of that housing is 50mm. The 2283 wheel requires a 46mm hole. Do you think your turbo has a hole that size? Here's another example of a turbo re-manufacturer attempting to stuff that big wheel in such a small housing:

5th Gear

Status
    Hi pal so if the hole of the inlet wheel is not that's size u say it's not the 2283 spec pal thanks

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Not unless the hole is tapered in some way.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    CR typically machine the inside of the comp housing to size up to where the locating recess is on the outlet for the OEM TIP... then machine past that to the edge of the inlet... this is to allow extra material where the recess is as this has been known to fractureand the comp housing inlet break off...

What you should see on yours Gazz is there is a ridge inside the comp inlet adjacent to the recess on the outside...

<tuffty/>

5th Gear

Status
    ye tuffty i see the ridge mate all way around.

andrew also come to help deglazz my bores saturday and thats done now showed hime the turbo he said its a billet got the machine marks on it just worrying that on the hot side were they have ported it around the wheel has got 2 to 3 mil gap from the blade will this course a prob.

6th Gear

Status
    2-3mm is quite alot and considering you have a clipped turbine wheel anyway it isn't needed. With the clipping I'd expect to see stock clearance of around .5mm if you run a non clipped wheel then running more gap is needed but certainly not 3mm

5th Gear

Status
    would u send it back dan as its def 2mm no less

RIP S3dave

Status
    checked how gaz?
    feeler gauge slid in to check?

bill@badger5.co.uk

Status

turbo turned up today

I've never seen so much chat over a turbo! Bolt it on already
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    It looked about 1.2 mm gap not 3 mm

That was just a estimate as i didn't have any feeler gauges on me at the time
    FOR SALE

5th Gear

Status
    Thanks Andrew mate and had a chat with a lass from cr turbos today Craig some how knows about the problem
    and wants to pick it up tomoz to sort it only thing I can think of is on here this feed weird tho just want the top spec I payed for guys soz about all this chat

5th Gear

Status
    good news today guys CR turbos rang me and told me that there picking it up coz its the wrong hots side for that turbo great service and thanks so much to craig hes a star will be sorted hehe

Status

turbo turned up today

Quote Originally Posted by s3gazz View Post
    good news today guys CR turbos rang me and told me that there picking it up coz its the wrong hots side for that turbo great service and thanks so much to craig hes a star will be sorted hehe
    You say "great service" Gazz but that's only because you questioned the work they did, otherwise you'd be none the wiser and CR turbos wouldn't have known either

Glad it's getting sorted though.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

5th Gear

Status
    thanks westy i n owhat u mean but they did do it for nothing in the first place and its not under warranty so how it should come back with the genuin housing and inserts

RIP S3dave

Status
    its this exact quality issue which worries me about CR...... Inconsistent..
    Perhaps its depends on who is building it as to what they do... which in itself is a worry

Dissapointing

bill@badger5.co.uk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast