turbo turned up today

It would be interesting to know what turbo that was for then!

I have to ask do you want a clipped tur one or is that what they sold you or you wanted?

I asked for the top spec mate and they give me what I had before it was clipped yes pal

its this exact quality issue which worries me about CR...... Inconsistent..
Perhaps its depends on who is building it as to what they do... which in itself is a worry

Dissapointing
your right there bill all depends on who is building it what spec would u go for or recomend bill

just to add my 2 pennys worth....my k04 died so i got a brand new k04 and got cr to hybrid it. it looks spot on! im yet to fit it as im waiting on my manifold turning up so as soon as it does i will post and let you guys know what it produces as soon as she gets on the rollers.had my brother check it over and hes happy with it so im good with that! hes former p.t.s,a1 rally sport,prodrive, etc etc so he knows his stuff! he has never had any problems with cr so when i told him they get stick on here he told me to relax they have always built him good hybrids! we shall see as soon as my ****** manifold turns up! :)

CR scare me a bit if I'm honest.

I have Wellys old hybrid, and it's epic. It's known to make power, and it's come through Bill, yet even he was messed around with dodgy housings and the like!

What I dO know though, is that when it needs a rebuild (and trust me, IT WILL!), it'll not be going back to CR. I just don't trust that I'd get the same turbo back. I'd send it to Dan as I know he'd do a good job of it.

just to add my 2 pennys worth....my k04 died so i got a brand new k04 and got cr to hybrid it. it looks spot on! im yet to fit it as im waiting on my manifold turning up so as soon as it does i will post and let you guys know what it produces as soon as she gets on the rollers.had my brother check it over and hes happy with it so im good with that! hes former p.t.s,a1 rally sport,prodrive, etc etc so he knows his stuff! he has never had any problems with cr so when i told him they get stick on here he told me to relax they have always built him good hybrids! we shall see as soon as my ****** manifold turns up! :)

inconsistent is the issue... they can build good ones.. but also carelessly also send out ones with erratic build spec... Thats an issue.

Why does nobody else rate Turbo Dynamics? They are jut down the road from CR too.

TD give good prices on new units.. their stage 4 is the equivalent..
much rivalry between the two Co's I believe.

I have heard (not experienced) issues on warranty from TD same as I have from CR..... Usual cop outs of blaming oil contamination for bearing failures for example...

TD would be my other choice or AET

Both my hybrid K04's came from TD
As bill said, only real issue is warrenty but they are all the same, Only covered if on a fully stock car. Which it isnt going to be if your fitting a hybrid turbo!
The price diffrence between TD and CR was huge though,
CR said something like £650 to rebuild/ exchange my stage 4 TD unit,
TD said £1300 as it was all beyond repair ?

Well Ill see what happens when mine comes back worse comes to worse ill get someone else to build it up and mines past warranty so there looking after me really

Well Ill see what happens when mine comes back worse comes to worse ill get someone else to build it up and mines past warranty so there looking after me really

What do you charge Dan for an equivalent 2283 based RS6 turbine?

At the moment They are around £700. That's using the existing turbine housing and compressor housing. With an updated actuator, all ported and completely new CHRA. I'm having a little trouble getting 2283 compressor, I've got some coming in the next 4 weeks, I even had to supply one to TD recently as they couldn't get any!

All mine are built to order and to the users requirements, I've got a couple of new spec turbos coming out soon and a couple to be tested but I'd like to think as I'm only doing k03/k04 turbos I can offer a more consistent product. Time will tell.

sounds good dan keep it up mate never no might have to come to u if this one goes tits up lol

i give Dan the vote on turbos, keeps you informed with exactly whats happening and is happy to discuss things with you at length to ensure you have something that will do what you want and is suited to our needs

At the moment They are around £700. That's using the existing turbine housing and compressor housing. With an updated actuator, all ported and completely new CHRA. I'm having a little trouble getting 2283 compressor, I've got some coming in the next 4 weeks, I even had to supply one to TD recently as they couldn't get any!

All mine are built to order and to the users requirements, I've got a couple of new spec turbos coming out soon and a couple to be tested but I'd like to think as I'm only doing k03/k04 turbos I can offer a more consistent product. Time will tell.

ok, cheers for that.
let me know of any developments Dan
cheers
bill

Could you squeeze in a gt28 .....;)

Could you squeeze in a gt28 .....;)

Gt28 compressor is no issue, nor is gt30 or gt35. My latest build/project has a gt35 compressor in a k04 comp housing. Fitting it in isn't the issue, it's making the thing work. Turbines are a little more tricky, as shaft sizes,lengths, seals, bearings and Iducer/exducer sizes are completely different, add to that the k04 turbine housing is by far the biggest restriction limiting any of these hybrids, just fitting in a gt28 isn't the answer and to be honest for all the cost and heartache you may as well just fit a gt28.

My main thing I'm looking into is building a larger turbine housing to help back pressures and heat, the hope is to be able to utilise this on hybrids together some decent performance gains, the reason at the moment of running a stupidly big gt35 comp wheel is to see if it will firstly run and secondly flow sensible air, but again the turbine housing restricts the turbo so it's never going to be a practical hybrid and hence the testing, but on the back of this a gt28 compressor wheel may be suitable especially as a replacement for the hard to get of 2283.

Im getting the opinion more and more the 2283 is very under utilised in these hybrids and similar power could be made with a 2280compressor , hopefully time will tell

gt35 comp wheel? seriously?? OMG!
thats going to be erm.... interesting...

did you see the vortex thread and mention of hgp hotside?

Interesting.. I'd say ridiculous to be honest , it's complete over kill and may flat on its face but I wanted to see what was possible on the cold side keeping within the constraints of the k04 . It's never going to be anything I'd sell but it seemed an interesting thing to try as if a decent hotside can be conceived then running a gt28r or gt30 maybe a more realistic consideration providing costs can be realistic. And having spent a good amount of time getting the gt35 into a k04 I know it can be done for reasonable £'s.

And if it's a disaster then it's been good r and d

No
I haven't read Dougs post but will search unless you could provide a link! Please

here it is Dan> VWVortex.com - K04-02x Build Thread, Code Named: Project Mayhem (or Broke Status?)

P1000575.jpg

P1000568.jpg

P1000564.jpg

Ahh yes I remember you posting a thread a while back on these €800 a piece! Not quite sure it's worth the money but it may be worth trying.

I think that if these can be made up for a sensible price they may be worth it especially when turbine housings are impossible to get hold or are cheap quality.

they look to machine and insert a piece to the hotside, which is something you might be able to also do?

another question is one of the eliminator k04 hotsides... and how they compare to k04 bw size wise...

eliminator hot side emm nice thinking bill wonder what the ported hole size is compared to the k04 hot side

I believe Dans got an eliminator hotside already to look see....
should be interesting how and if that develops

Ye think that would go great with the rest of the k04 bits like u said the hot side is the ristrictive part might buy one off him see how it goes or if I can get one from anywhere and swop them over ha

turbo has arrived again and the hot side looks alot better pics to come

Well, I have to say it looks good...As turbos go that's pretty pretty.

So this one looks good the dan ha.

also do I get the turbo checked as don't want to fit and find its like prawns was my last hybrid lasted a year and bearings were worn emmmmmm standered like prawns if ya as me

you mean regarding the thrust washer?

id check the actuator pressure and make sure thats right and is set up correctly. they seem to be a big pain on these things

Ye Karl forgot the word ha and ill set the actuator pressure before fitment mate don't want to be behind there altering it with that mani in the way