Sky InsuranceChris Nott
    Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!

Status

Check Engine Light after fitting 3" DP and 200 cel cat

Hi Peeps,

Just a quick one really, Since fitting my new relentless 3" downpipe and 200 cell cat the check engine light has come on twice now. Both times it has taken a good 50-60 miles before the light has come on. When i scan the car it says catalyst effeciency too low (cant remember exact code).

Is there anyway to solve this or can someone explain why this is happening as i am using the OEM lambda sensors from the old system so (which were working fine). I have heard it can be coded out but i thought that was only if you were using a decat not a sports cat. Can i code it out myself using VCDS?

Any help would be appreciated

Rob
    Audi S3 8L BAM 225 2002 - Ming Blue : Silver Heated Leather, Armrest, RNS-E - Bose, Alloy Mirrors, 18" RSTT`s, Sunroof, Cruise, AutoDim Mirror & Usual S3 Extras.
    Mods : Badger 5 Stg 2 Custom Map, FMIC, 3" DP & 200 Cell Cat, 007P, Jetex Filter & 80mm TIP & Heatshield, Complete LED Kit, Gen VW Aero Wipers, Full Powerflex Kit, R32 RARB, AP Shocks & Springs, 15mm Front & 20mm Rear Spacers, BB Uprated Actuator,
    N249 Delete & Catch Can, AP TVR 4Pot Brakes & DS2500`s, Sachs Carbon/Kevlar Clutch

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    You are probably getting the same error as with the decat. Rear O2 sensor either needs to be coded out or you can put a spacer in between the lambda probe and exhaust to raise the señor out of the flow more.

If you want to test the theory. Remove the rear 02 sensor and put the bung back in, leave the rear sensor plugged in but tuck it out the way securely and then see what happens. .

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbuggy View Post
    You are probably getting the same error as with the decat. Rear O2 sensor either needs to be coded out or you can put a spacer in between the lambda probe and exhaust to raise the señor out of the flow more.

If you want to test the theory. Remove the rear 02 sensor and put the bung back in, leave the rear sensor plugged in but tuck it out the way securely and then see what happens. .
    Mate thanks for the speedy response

By a spacer do you mean like a washer or 2? to make it less inside the actual pipe?

Yeah i can easily remove the sensor and put the bung back in to test the theory.

When it comes to coding it out is that something i can do myself or is it a proffesional job?
    Audi S3 8L BAM 225 2002 - Ming Blue : Silver Heated Leather, Armrest, RNS-E - Bose, Alloy Mirrors, 18" RSTT`s, Sunroof, Cruise, AutoDim Mirror & Usual S3 Extras.
    Mods : Badger 5 Stg 2 Custom Map, FMIC, 3" DP & 200 Cell Cat, 007P, Jetex Filter & 80mm TIP & Heatshield, Complete LED Kit, Gen VW Aero Wipers, Full Powerflex Kit, R32 RARB, AP Shocks & Springs, 15mm Front & 20mm Rear Spacers, BB Uprated Actuator,
    N249 Delete & Catch Can, AP TVR 4Pot Brakes & DS2500`s, Sachs Carbon/Kevlar Clutch

Neutral

Status
    He means a spacer like this:

42 Draft Designs O2 Sensor Spacer

My only concern is if it is triggering the fault code will it pass an emissions test?
    Contact admins for advertising

TT 225 + a bit!!

Status
    Ahh cool i see so it need to be spaced out alot then lol.

I am planning on getting my car mapped with Revo stage 2 in the nearish future once i have done my FMIC. Which i have been informed gets rid of this light too so i may well just wait for that to happen rather than buy the spacer now.

Status
    would this cheapo ebay spacer do the job as for £8 i could afford to buy that for a temp fix.

OXYGEN LAMBDA O2 SENSOR EXTENDER DECAT SPACER HYDROGEN HHO FUEL CELL | eBay

Neutral

Status
    Just wait and have it mapped out mate, save your money
    Contact admins for advertising

TT 225 + a bit!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich196 View Post
    Just wait and have it mapped out mate, save your money
    I take it the light being on isnt a bad thing then and does not effect anything else as its just a warning as such.

6th Gear

Status
    Rear O2 sensor on all cars is just a narrow band sensor. Only good at reading stoich 14.7 . It's there as an extra to adjust fuelling post cat. You won't have any issues removing it and coding it out with mot. If you take it out but leave it plugged in it'll just read 1 the spacer movies it out of the air flow more making it less sensitive.

Coding out needs to be done via the map and can't be done via vcds. It's literally a 5 minute job.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbuggy View Post
    Rear O2 sensor on all cars is just a narrow band sensor. Only good at reading stoich 14.7 . It's there as an extra to adjust fuelling post cat.
    so a faulty post cat O2 sensor will affect the fueling?
    Alex S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8s, H&R Springs, Neuspeed ARBs, Genuine 18" BBS LMs & LCR Brembos

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Not afaik, its only there to monitor cat efficiency.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Status
    Thanks for the info guys will get it sorted during the upgrade to stage 2 software. But if its not gonna happen for a few weeks i may just put the bung back in but leave it connected until i can as the light on the dash is annoying lol