what clutch for s3?

daz-20vt

Reaction score
hi guys. pretty sime. i need a new clutch but i have no idea what the difference oif any there is. i want to get it for as cheap as pos obviously but they seem to range from 100 pound and much higher. so whats the difference? would a cheaper one be ok? ive just forked out nearly 1k on the car so defo want some good advice on this lol. thanks. daz

standard clutch on my old car dealt with 4k launches easily, my car was mapped too, i think the standard clutch on these is pretty good - depends on how much power you plan to chase

well tbh i think the car will stay stage 1 or 2 for a good while. so an oem clutch should be fine you think? what about these cheaper oem spec clutchs? any info on these? thanks for your reply!! daz

Mine is stage 1 mapped,standered clutch fine till you hit 6000 revs then starts to slip.

standard clutch should not slip at all on a 270 bhp s3, yours must be on the way out !

OEM clutch won't last very long doing too many launches tbh... clutches are quite subjective but any 'launching' on any clutch will kill it far sooner no matter what you end up with...

If you are normally easy on the clutch then a std one should be fine... Westy has had decent results with a clutch kit from Awesome so check his build thread out for details... another option is a std clutch cover and DMF using a Sachs 4 puck paddle plate... I have this setup and its been fine... light in traffic but copes with launches well and certainly copes with the onset of 300+ ftlbs of torque from my GT30...

<tuffty/>

to be honest guys i rarely launch the car and when i drive it i dont kill the clutch at all. im thinking a standard item should be fine. so i guess a clutch kit from ebay will do then. ill make sure its upto oem levels before i buy. thanks all!! daz

Get an LuK kit from GSF... mine was about £100 for the clutch, £24 for the slave (you need to replace this really) and optionally £240 ish for an LuK DMF...

<tuffty/>

I have the awesome gti s.m.f. Conversion and heavy duty clutch been in the car for 6 months the pedal is no heavier than the o.e. clutch and good value for the money

i hope others will take note here. If you plan to drive normally then a standard clutch is more than adequate. Plan on having spirited drives frequently then pay for a better clutch, it may cost a little bit more, but I think the fairly hefty labour cost is not something you do not want to go through twice in a short space of time.

cars back in having a standard clutch put in. the one you suggested tuffty i believe. thanks for all the help guys. cant wait to get it back so i can actually drive the ****** thing!! daz